Light-O-Rama Forums

N4-G4-MP3 Director with Input Connector

Jimehc

When I try to Power the Whole House Transmitter from the 5v output of the N4-G4 input connector - I get code A8 or A9 (cant remember exactly which one - its been a while) I know that the Mini-Director can power the Transmitter (200 mA max) but the N4 input connector only states 100 mA - what exactly is the A code - > Power overdraw ? And should I be able to use this Director to power the transmitter?  Currently powering the Transmitter via AC adapter - the Director is powered from nearest controller..

Thank You

Edited by Jimehc

I control my Whole House transmitter using a USB cable connected to its own little USB power block.  I also added ferrite core magnets to eliminate any line noise.  My Director is powered via the nearest controller, which is in the enclosure right next to the director/transmitter enclosure.

If I followed that, you were trying to power the transmitter from the mini-director, which in turn was being powered from the nearest controller.  The amount of current available from a controller is pretty small (especially if the Cat-5 cable is very long).  I don't know the error codes, but sounds like you really should continue running the transmitter from a separate power supply.

I will note that the Showtime Central package comes with the Transmitter connect to the Mini Director and the Mini Director gets power from the controller

I've never used a Director, and I don't use a Whole Room Transmitter, so I'm only guessing here...

I've never used a mini Director, always the ones with the real-time clock built in, and I've never used a transmitter that would or could be connected to any of my Directors that would get its power from one.   Usually a Director {at least the ones with the real-time clock} are dual powered, that is they can either get power from a 12VDC adapter {I know the newest ones LOR downgraded the 12VDC adapter to mA [forgot how may]},  where the original LOR adapter I got was rated at 12VDC 1A {which does work with my new N4-G4 w/real-time clock}, but I allow it to get power from the 1st controller, and the controller only sends out 9VDC to the Directors when utilized.  So if the Transmitter gets power from a USB cord, that, could send either 5V or 12V,as they can supply either voltage, but that depends on the USB port itself and whether it is wired up for dual voltages, some could be.  The standard voltage is usually 5VDC, and if so, I would not think that would be enough to power the transmitter,  but not ever used a WHT, I'm speculating that they may be wired for 5VDC or 12V, but I'd think more likely they'd be wired as most other transmitters, either for 9VDC or 12VDC, and if so, the USB may not be supplying enough power for it to work properly.  And if it's not, then use of an external power adapter rated for what the transmitter needs would be the recommended course of action.   But if it can work off a USB cord or a cat5 cable, then I'd be checking those to make sure they work, they do go bad at times, and I've even bought brand-new ones that were DOA right out of the package.  So it may just need a new cable to work.

That's as much as I can figure out what your issue could be.  And like, Jim, I'm speculating, because I've not used the WHT or a Mini-Director.   Just going on what I do know from using the N4-G4 Real-Time clock version, and an external transmitter.  Wish my Transmitter could work from the cat5 cable, sure would make wiring it into my display much easier without another external power cord to worry about!