Light-O-Rama Forums

Director Link Is not working or keeping synch -Any Tips??

MrMatt

I have been waiting for over a week for the Help Desk, but still no answer to this problem yet.   So maybe one of you  smart guys can help me figure it out. The original N2 actually stopped working completely but the replacement does the exact same thing.

I have 2 brand new G4 directors, (spring sale) one is a 4 port and one is a 2 port. I am trying to get the director link to work and It is not working . The master director seems to play the music and show just fine but the "slave" or second director just glitches It works for about 2 seconds when it says synch and and then the lights freeze for 30+ when it says "init". and just repeats, it just doesn't work well at all.

What we have tried

• different cables on the director link ports
  • tried both of the "Net 1" ports
  • changed which director was the master and which was the slave
  • made the show on different SD cards

in all instances we had the same results, the master director runs the music and the sequence just fine, but the slave doesn't work it all except for about 2- 3 second per song.

Is there something in the settings we are missing? I followed all the instructions on the Help pages, but it just doesn't seem to stay in synch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4AE_MKiaDw

19 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Is the FW up to date on both?

The N4 was updated, and there is no firmware available for the N2.  I even asked the help desk about that, and i got the response "We will have the firmware to you shortly." and then they closed the ticket so I don't know if anything will happen there.

49 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

The N4 was updated, and there is no firmware available for the N2.  I even asked the help desk about that, and i got the response "We will have the firmware to you shortly." and then they closed the ticket so I don't know if anything will happen there.

Ah! You probably did something no one thought about. N4 ->N2

G3-MP3 5.38 firmware

12 hours ago, MrMatt said:

Is the N2 an N2-G4, or an N2-G3? 

I see firmware listed for the N2 under this heading: G3-MP3 Director Generation 3 and the description states: G3-MP3 deluxe stand-alone ShowTime Director with MP3 player, 2 network ports and real-time clock latest firmware version

And the latest revision shows: G3-MP3 5.38 firmware

What's the current FW in your N2?  This could help us to see if any of the firmware listed is what is in your N2, if so, then you'd update your FW from the above area.

Link here to FW Updates: Firmware Updates

Hope this may be of some help.

3 minutes ago, Orville said:

G3-MP3 5.38 firmware

Is the N2 an N2-G4, or an N2-G3? 

I see firmware listed for the N2 under this heading: G3-MP3 Director Generation 3 and the description states: G3-MP3 deluxe stand-alone ShowTime Director with MP3 player, 2 network ports and real-time clock latest firmware version

And the latest revision shows: G3-MP3 5.38 firmware

What's the current FW in your N2?  This could help us to see if any of the firmware listed is what is in your N2, if so, then you'd update your FW from the above area.

Link here to FW Updates: Firmware Updates

Hope this may be of some help.

It is a N2-G4, which unfortunately is not listed on that Firmware page.  The new G4 directors also do not connect to the hardware Utility in the same way so I cannot read or see what firmware is currently loaded.

12 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

It is a N2-G4, which unfortunately is not listed on that Firmware page.  The new G4 directors also do not connect to the hardware Utility in the same way so I cannot read or see what firmware is currently loaded.

Sure they do, under the LOR MP3 tab and in the lower right-hand corner shows what FW is currently loaded in them in a box.  I haven't played with S5 enough, but I just looked at S5's HU, it found my MP3 Director, N4-G4 and displayed the current FW in it, which is: 4.6.7.  It's directly above the Remote Time box, and it only shows up if the MP3 is connected and found in the HU.  Although the HU states that the Hub is now used for show building, you still go here to find your MP3 player and what FW is in it.   Then back to the home page of the HU to update the Firmware, select MP3 player to update once you know what FW is in it.   Still pretty much the same as it has always been for finding the FW and updating them in the HU for MP3 Directors.

If you're in the middle of a conversation with the help desk, I would strongly advise against updating the firmware until the engineers give you a recommended file and instructions. 

19 minutes ago, Orville said:

Sure they do, under the LOR MP3 tab and in the lower right-hand corner shows what FW is currently loaded in them in a box.  I haven't played with S5 enough, but I just looked at S5's HU, it found my MP3 Director, N4-G4 and displayed the current FW in it, which is: 4.6.7.  It's directly above the Remote Time box, and it only shows up if the MP3 is connected and found in the HU.  Although the HU states that the Hub is now used for show building, you still go here to find your MP3 player and what FW is in it.   Then back to the home page of the HU to update the Firmware, select MP3 player to update once you know what FW is in it.   Still pretty much the same as it has always been for finding the FW and updating them in the HU for MP3 Directors.

Yeah I didn't try the MP3 tab because it said it isn't used. on the main page when i refresh is says 0 units found if the  director is connected, but I should try it and check the MP3 tab.

5 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

Yeah I didn't try the MP3 tab because it said it isn't used. on the main page when i refresh is says 0 units found if the  director is connected, but I should try it and check the MP3 tab.

I would listen to Aubrey above and not do anything until instructed by the HD.  Anything you do after submitting the ticket will negate what it is they are working on.

Whenever I submitted tickets with problems they always appeared to be closed however the HD and I would continue on as needed. Relax, breath and stay calm. Let them guide you.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrMatt said:

At least then you'd know what FW you have.

But I do agree with Aubrey as well, see if the folks at LOR give you a recommendation before doing anything.  But if you know the FW in your unit, and then you can send that to the LOR Help Desk, that would also help them determine which unit you actually have, and what FW might work that is available, or if they're going to need to create a new FW for the N2-G4 units.  Which, if they need to create FW for it, that'll take a little time, hopefully LOR will have an update and an answer for you soon.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

... breath and stay calm. Let them guide you.

JR

I know I need to try to relax, but I am getting a bit stressed that I spend hundreds of dollars, specifically for this feature, and it doesn't work. I am just nervous to get it fixed so I can get my show up and running.  But I currently am holding out some faith that they will be able to get me going.

I am happy to report after a Firmware update I have Wireless director Link working!!!  Thanks for all you reached out to help

16 hours ago, MrMatt said:

I am happy to report after a Firmware update I have Wireless director Link working!!!  Thanks for all you reached out to help

Was it the FW I posted the link to that got it working?  Or did the LOR folks send you an updated FW file for it?

I'm sure others would like to know which it was, so they know what to do if they encounter the same issue you were having.

44 minutes ago, Orville said:

Was it the FW I posted the link to that got it working?  Or did the LOR folks send you an updated FW file for it?

I'm sure others would like to know which it was, so they know what to do if they encounter the same issue you were having.

They sent me a version 6.8 Firmware for both the N2 and the N4

12 hours ago, MrMatt said:

They sent me a version 6.8 Firmware for both the N2 and the N4

Glad to hear the LOR Folks got you up and running in time!  Thanks for the update.

-Hope they post that new FW 6.8 for the N4-G4 Directors on the FW page soon.  My N4-G4 only has FW 6.7 in it, and I like to have the latest FW in my Director and Controllers, when, or if a new FW update becomes available, especially since FW updates fix things that I may not have even encountered yet. LOL

Edited by Orville
stated my Director had FW 4.6.7 when it is FW 6.7. Corrected.