Light-O-Rama Forums

Show Editor - how do musical and interactive groups work together?

Al R

Tried to find this in the docs but can't and it seems pretty basic so hopefully someone has a quick answer.   What is the behavior of a show at the END of an interactive group sequence playback?   Here's what I'm trying to achieve:

1)  A single musical sequence is looping for the entire evening.  (environmental sound effects and general lights)

2) Upon a trigger button push the above sequence is interrupted by a 4 minute active musical sequence plays with dynamic lighting and music.   The question is, Then what happens?

What I would like to have happen is the show returns to the musical sequence loop (#1) continuous until such time as the interactive button is pressed again or the show ends at the end of the night.

I can't just put #1 in the background tab because it needs to stop running during the #2 triggered musical sequence.   And #2 should ONLY run when triggered.

Any guidance much appreciated by this N00b.  Thanks! -Al R

There are three different types of interactive groups - each with different characteristics.  One key item is that under any circumstances you can NOT have two musical sequences playing at the same time.  You CAN have musical and animation sequences or multiple animation sequences playing at the same time.  Another key item is that any given channel can't be in two sequences that are playing at the same time.  And when I say that the same channel can't be in two playing sequences at the same time, I don't just mean that it must be off in one sequence - the channels can not be in the same preview being used.

I don't use interactives in my Christmas show, but my year round landscape lighting uses interactives all night long.  So I should be able to give you details.  In my case, the main sequence is a musical sequence (although the music is 4 minutes of silence), and the interactives are animations.

Thank you Jim.  Just trying to figure out what to expect when an interactive sequence ends.

Hoping to achieve a toggle for our halloween displahy that goes from a spooky ambience sequence with sound fx (looping indefinitely) to a synchronized musical number when triggered, then back to the first sequence looping and waiting for another trigger.  The two sequences can have different previews that don't share LOR channels if need be. 

Read the help section on the interactives to a far better explanation of how they work.  One of them should do what you want.

BTW, were in LA are you?  I work in Glendale and keep a bit of a lit of semi-local shows to visit.

Following up to say I confirmed that the behavior I was looking for was indeed how it performed.   I put my looping atmospheric lighting and sound effects sequence in the musical section and then the featured musical sequence in the interactive tab as a jukebox item.   It successfully interrupts the sequence looping in the musical tab to play the synchronized musical sequence in the interactive tab then returns to looping the musical sequence til the button is pressed again.  All good!

• The topic was locked