Light-O-Rama Forums

1602 Controller Not Responsive

dkoehler42

I have a 1602WG3 controlling an older 1602 controller using the original ELL. The former is unit 01, and the latter is 02. They are plugged into different circuits and both appear to be getting power. The older box has started turning all the lights off and being unresponsive. In testing, I turned the unit off and on, and all of the lights started flickering in sync. I also changed the port the cat cable was plugged into, and I was able to get a solid connection on the board, despite what was happening to the output channels. Earlier this month, I was able to mess around with a sequence of powering the 1602 off, reseating the cat cable, and powercycling the 1602WG3 to get both units working, but that's not working tonight. I'd like to get this working in time for Halloween and Christmas. I am using the SD card supplied by LOR when I purchased the 1602WG3, and that controller appears to be working correctly.  This unit was sent back for repairs a few years ago, and some corroded parts were replaced at that time.

Over the last few days I found that unplugging the trouble unit from the outlet and plugging it back in, followed by reseating the extension cords on the newer box sometimes gets both boxes running.  It's not an always thing, and the problem child doesn't always stay running.

I'd like to know what's causing this and how to fix it so I don't have to worry about it.  

• 1 month later...

I also have a gen 3 1602 controller not responding during shows. In hardware utility it will test out. But display reads L-bd. I checked fuses both are good!  Can’t find that display in manual. Any ideas?

2 hours ago, Bradleyislost said:

I also have a gen 3 1602 controller not responding during shows. In hardware utility it will test out. But display reads L-bd. I checked fuses both are good!  Can’t find that display in manual. Any ideas?

That indicates the unit id is set to "BD" (unit ids are in hexadecimal). This is unlikely to be the unit id you intended. Use the Hardware Utility to set the unit id to the intended value. Instructions are in the manual.

I finally heard back from LOR support, and the going theory in my case is corrosion on the ELL network pins.  I'm not sure why the controller seems to go into an uncontrolled shimmer when I power cycle it, but that may be why that box drops sometimes.

• 1 month later...

Just an update, the box had been working fine all Christmas season despite the problems during the Halloween season.  With the rains today, I ran into the same problem and the connection appears to have dropped.  I'm guessing there's partial corrosion on either the ELL or the 1062 controller that's impacted by moisture.

• 1 month later...

I sent the older controller and both ELL units in for repairs. The tech working on it accidentally discovered that the antennas on the ELL units were intermittently not working. They were both replaced and hopefully that solves my problems.  We'll find out later this year. 

• 1 year later...

Since it's Halloween time, I figured it was okay to bring a thread back from the dead.  By the virtue of a new ELL for my birthday and borrowing my brother's, I was able to connect all three controllers and my computer.  So when I found the oldest 1602 acting up, I switched it with the newest unit(with a digital screen) and brought it inside.  When the show ended at the prescribed time, the oldest controller, now indoors, was stuck at a midlevel power flickering all channels.  I opened the Hardware Utility and was able to see all three controllers.  I tried cleaning the corrosion on the edges of the board where they meet the metal, but apparently this unit is no longer going to work outside unless I can figure out exactly where the corrosion is.