Light-O-Rama Forums

Error (8002) and how to fix it.

christmasocd

Hey gang. I’m an old fart running and old s3 version 3.9.0 on an old windows 7 computer and can’t figure out how to solve this problem. I tried all the suggestions I could find online and am not having any luck. The units have power, I’ve tried 3 different cables, I bought a new RJ45 adaptor, I’ve closed everything on the computer, I’ve tried reassigning the comm port 3 to other ports, I’ve rebooted the computer and nada. I’ve run the same show on the same computer for years with no problems. Someone suggested reinstalling drivers but I lost them when my kids and grandkids moved in. Help.  My grandkids want to see blinky blinky. Any ideas? Thanks

14 minutes ago, christmasocd said:

Hey gang. I’m an old fart running an old s3 version 3.9.0 on an old Windows 7 computer and can’t figure out how to solve this problem. I tried all the suggestions I could find online and am not having any luck. The units have power, I’ve tried 3 different cables, I bought a new RJ45 adaptor, I’ve closed everything on the computer, I’ve tried reassigning the comm port 3 to other ports, I’ve rebooted the computer and nada. I’ve run the same show on the same computer for years with no problems. Someone suggested reinstalling drivers, but I lost them when my kids and grandkids moved in. Help.  My grandkids want to see blinky blinky. Any ideas? Thanks

Are you referring to the FTDI USB Drivers?  If so, they are available on the LOR website right here: https://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

Scroll down, the USB FTDI Driver software will be down near the bottom of the list.

If you don't have these installed, you'll keep getting that 8002 error, when my system crashed years ago, I saw this error and found the USB Adapter Drivers got corrupted, re-installed them, and everything went back to normal.   So if these are missing, I'm pretty sure that's your issue.  Download and re-install, and hopefully you'll be good to go again.

Let us know how you make out.

Thanks Orville. I had high hopes but I’m afraid the driver update didn’t make a difference. I still get the same error. Hoping someone else has a fix.

Do you happen to have virus protection running?

Windows Defender?

If so turn them off. That Win Defender is a sneaky little booger. 

JR

• Like 1

Thanks Orville. I had high hopes but I’m afraid the driver update didn’t make a difference. I still get the same error. Hoping someone else has a fix.

Update. Problem solved. Turns out it was a bad USB cable off the RS485 adapter. The show is up and running. Thanks for the suggestions.

33 minutes ago, christmasocd said:

Problem solved. Turns out it was a bad USB cable off the RS485 adapter. The show is up and running.

That will do it!  Glad you got it working.

12 hours ago, christmasocd said:

Update. Problem solved. Turns out it was a bad USB cable off the RS485 adapter. The show is up and running. Thanks for the suggestions.

Glad you found the culprit!  And everything is running smoothly again.

I should have REMEMBERED and suggested that.  Sometimes the simplest of issues that cause something just eludes us, or we fix them at some point and forget that's how we corrected it.  I had forgotten about the USB cable could cause that, and I should have remembered it!  Why?  Because I've had to replace TWO USB cables that go to my 2 adapters.  But that was a couple of years or so ago, so they didn't even come to mind....BUT, they should have.

• 3 weeks later...

I am getting this error when I don’t have anything plugged into my com port. It’s the first thing that pops up when I start my laptop. It started when I was curious and opening the various tools. I hit “Enable Schedule”   But I didn’t have anything plugged into my com port. 

Edited by Lightnewbie

• The topic was locked