Light-O-Rama Forums

Files not opening under Windows 10

mjdamico23

My original laptop took a crap, but I luckily was able to save my files.  I have 2 other laptops in my house that have windows 10 and I cannot open files.  I downloaded that last of the s4 because I'm not ready for the new software.  I can open up the sequence editor and load a file, etc.  After I save it, I try and double click and I keep getting an error (I attached a picture of the error).  Can someone help or direct me to the right area --- I'm almost in freaking out mode as I've been putzing with this for 3 days now.

I lied, apparently I cannot put a picture because its too large?  Even though I resized to small.  

Please and Thank you in advance

Error reads as follows

Command line parameters:

/L Language ID

/S Hide initialization dialog. For silent mode use: /S /v/qn

/V parameters to MsiExec.exe

/UA<url to INstMsiA.exe>

/UW<url to InstMsiW.exe>

/UM<url to msi poackage>

/US<url to IsScript.msi>

1. Use an external place to host your images. Link to the image here.

2. You say you downloaded S4, but your profile says S5? Are these S4 files you are loading in S4?

Thats possible, not sure what I had lol. But I picked an older version because I dont think I can learn the new sequencing in enough time. 

1 hour ago, mjdamico23 said:

On the .LMS file in sequence folder or wherever they may be saved

May sound like a dumb question.  Are you double clicking on the file within the Windows File Explorer or are you opening the Sequence Editor and using the open file?  The reason for the ask is that if Windows does not know that .lms files should be opened with the Sequence Editor.  That is usually a result of an installation that did not go right.

Yes! So when I open through editor, it opens and saves. When I go back to double click where I saved it, I get the error. So I am also assuming it wouldnt work when loaded into the show

6 minutes ago, mjdamico23 said:

es! So when I open through editor, it opens and saves. When I go back to double click where I saved it, I get the error.

Sounds like Windows does not know what to do with the file type.  Likely the best solution is to uninstall LOR, delete the Light-O-Rama folder under Program Files (x86), and if you have it handy, run the LOR Registry wipe program.  Then Re-install LOR.

8 minutes ago, mjdamico23 said:

So I am also assuming it wouldnt work when loaded into the show

That may not be a good assumption.  Try it.

16 minutes ago, mjdamico23 said:

Yes! So when I open through editor, it opens and saves. When I go back to double click where I saved it, I get the error. So I am also assuming it wouldnt work when loaded into the show

A 'show'  Uses a sequence file sent  from the show manager (blue light bulb in tray). For that to happen, other processes need to be running first.

The only thing that is Logical for Windows to possibly do Directly with  a Sequence , is Edit.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Don said:

1. Use an external place to host your images. Link to the image here.

2. You say you downloaded S4, but your profile says S5? Are these S4 files you are loading in S4?

I was able to get the version that was on my old laptop. 4.3.34 but I dont even see that as an option to download. I see 4.3.36?  I renewed my license few months ago, so maybe thats why it shows S5?

The download old version listing only shows the more significant versions.  Since you are for the moment staying on S4, I would get the latest S4 version.

Thanks everyone for the help and I still don't know why it was working properly after uninstalling/reinstalling, I even wiped 2 laptops and started over.  BUT........with some of the thoughts above, I could open files through sequencer, so I saved a few and made a show in the builder and started it on a controller which worked, so I may have jumped for joy lol.  On my other laptop I loaded to the latest S5 to start learning the new stuff and when I saved a file, I noticed the image next to the file was the green SE icon (not the blue lightbulb from older versions).  Then my lightbulb went off, went to the other laptop, right clicked a LMS file, open with, found the sequence editor and VIOLA! now they open!  Just still  confused as to why when it was installed, saved through a sequence editor, it didn't save it like that?  But oh well, a mystery for another season.