Light-O-Rama Forums

Am I just making stuff up?

Durty

Ok, I am pretty much brand new and tried to go very simplistic but may have bought more things than I really needed.  Tell me if there is anything below I am just not understanding or if I've missed something.

I bought the Residential Starter Kit (A/C Controller with Basic Plus LOR Software).  https://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

I have also bought a FM Transmitter and outside speakers (just FM radios).

1. First question, how do I hook up this FM Transmitter?  Does it go into the controller box somewhere?  The controller is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I really haven't gotten a chance to look inside one.

I also bought 250' of 18/2 SPT-1 wire with several vampire plugs (male and female).

At first, I was thinking about buying  a bunch of C9 spool wire and then getting the bulbs (because I want separated strings with their own color - not multi color strings).  But, I am starting to lean toward just buying off the shelf LED C9s at Walmart.

2. Second question, can I use the SPT-1 wire to make extension cords for store bought LED lights?  I notice that most of them have fuses within the plugs so I wasn't sure if that was an issue.

Here is my planned set-up (in my mind), does it make sense (keep in mind, brand new and just trying not to get overwhelmed)?

• Downloaded LOR Software and have bought the "Wizards in Winter" music and been working on my own sequence (mostly, to get used to the software).  This is on a DESKTOP (should I consider using a laptop)?
  • Once my controller is here, I will using the USB adapter (USB485) provided to convert signal from PC to controller (I am using flat, weatherproof, Cat6 cabling from USB adapter to controller).  And, I plan to run this through my garage to my front porch.
  • I have no idea how to mount the controller, I was thinking about using a few vinyl siding hooks but I am not sure what types of things I could hang from on the back of the controller (since I don't have it yet).  Maybe just a simple wood stand set up on my porch and put a bag of sand on the bottom to keep it from blowing down...??
  • Run SPT-1 wire extension cords from each channel (16 channels on this controller) to their specific spots (i.e. windows, garage doors, pillars, roof lines, etc.).  Of course, if I cannot use the SPT-1 wire extension cords with store bought LED strings...I suppose I need to get normal extension cords or buy spools of C9 string.
  • Using outside speakers in FM Radio mode set to FM Transmitter station (so that I can either run both at the same time or turn off speakers when it gets later at night).  Speakers will be wireless but I don't plan to run them as bluetooth, just FM Radio receiving the signal from the transmitter.

After that, not really sure how the software works when trying to start the show but I'm sure I can learn that through YouTube or something.  What am I missing or what questions am I not asking due to ignorance?

2 hours ago, Durty said:

Ok, I am pretty much brand new and tried to go very simplistic but may have bought more things than I really needed.  Tell me if there is anything below I am just not understanding or if I've missed something.

I bought the Residential Starter Kit (A/C Controller with Basic Plus LOR Software).  https://store.lightorama.com/rese16chstpa.html

I have also bought a FM Transmitter and outside speakers (just FM radios).

1. First question, how do I hook up this FM Transmitter?  Does it go into the controller box somewhere?  The controller is supposed to arrive tomorrow so I really haven't gotten a chance to look inside one.

I also bought 250' of 18/2 SPT-1 wire with several vampire plugs (male and female).

At first, I was thinking about buying  a bunch of C9 spool wire and then getting the bulbs (because I want separated strings with their own color - not multi color strings).  But, I am starting to lean toward just buying off the shelf LED C9s at Walmart.

2. Second question, can I use the SPT-1 wire to make extension cords for store bought LED lights?  I notice that most of them have fuses within the plugs so I wasn't sure if that was an issue.

Here is my planned set-up (in my mind), does it make sense (keep in mind, brand new and just trying not to get overwhelmed)?

• Downloaded LOR Software and have bought the "Wizards in Winter" music and been working on my own sequence (mostly, to get used to the software).  This is on a DESKTOP (should I consider using a laptop)?
  • Once my controller is here, I will using the USB adapter (USB485) provided to convert signal from PC to controller (I am using flat, weatherproof, Cat6 cabling from USB adapter to controller).  And, I plan to run this through my garage to my front porch.
  • I have no idea how to mount the controller, I was thinking about using a few vinyl siding hooks but I am not sure what types of things I could hang from on the back of the controller (since I don't have it yet).  Maybe just a simple wood stand set up on my porch and put a bag of sand on the bottom to keep it from blowing down...??
  • Run SPT-1 wire extension cords from each channel (16 channels on this controller) to their specific spots (i.e. windows, garage doors, pillars, roof lines, etc.).  Of course, if I cannot use the SPT-1 wire extension cords with store bought LED strings...I suppose I need to get normal extension cords or buy spools of C9 string.
  • Using outside speakers in FM Radio mode set to FM Transmitter station (so that I can either run both at the same time or turn off speakers when it gets later at night).  Speakers will be wireless but I don't plan to run them as bluetooth, just FM Radio receiving the signal from the transmitter.

After that, not really sure how the software works when trying to start the show but I'm sure I can learn that through YouTube or something.  What am I missing or what questions am I not asking due to ignorance?

Answers 

!- You can mount it in a waterproof enclosure or in your home. It can either connect to a mini director or your comouter. Ensure if connecting to a computer to turn your computer volume down to about 1/4. If not you will be back asking why there is a lot of interference in your show.

Off the shelf Walmart lights work great. I never had a problem with Walmart lights of any type. They are easy to get and affordable.

2- Yes use as much SPT wire as you need. There may be some lights not compatible but all of the LED lights I used from Walmart would fit. You could always take a female plug with you to test if you are worried.

You may have delays with wireless speakers. Wired is the way to go if you have OCD like a lot of us do.

If you have further questions feel free to ask

Welcome to the obsession.

Happy Lighting

JR

• Like 1

I have used a laptop on occasion, but much prefer a desktop, more easily upgraded, expanded, and you can have multiple monitors which makes sequencing so much nicer. 

The FM radios will be fine provided they give you enough volume for your location. For many years I used an old boombox wrapped in a black garbage bag.

My set up is little different but you may be able to do the main part I'm replying about...which is wiring the speakers IF your speaker can be wired.

I bought cheap re-furb desktop to run my show. I tune an old audio receiver to the FM broadcast from computer. From there, I made speaker wire out of CAT-5.  There are 8 strands inside Cat-5 cable. You can create 4 pair of two strands. That gives you + and - for two speakers. If you need a jack to connect directly to the computer, you can get a cheap stereo jack splitter online (of the correct size to fit the computer) and then cut off the y-ends and attach the pairs of Cat -5 strands and then run out to your speakers. Radio Shack used sell male jacks to plain wire, but I guess enough of us didn't shop there.

Good luck! It's a lot to learn in a short time!