Light-O-Rama Forums

track timing

Greg D

I have two tracks for the Linus christmas monologue. When I sequenced the speaking, the speech and lights did what they were supposed to. Now that I play the whole thing through, linus says stuff way ahead of where my lights are supposed to come on.

How so I know which track the mp3 is following? Also, can I adjust it so it is even again?

Attached files Linus Christmas Story.lms

It sounds like your MP3 is recorded at a Variable Bit Rate rather than a fixed rate. I think LOR recommends a 128 constant bit rate. Better yet, use a WAV file to sequence and then convert it to an MP3 at 128 when you are finished sequencing.

Postalsnap wrote:

How can you tell if the MP3 is recorded in a Variable Bit Rate? I think I'm having a similar problem. About 2/3rds through the sequence the timing gets progressively out of whack.

If you go into the folder where you have your music and move the cursor over the file name, a box will open and give you the particulars about the file, including the bit rate. I use WAV with all my sequencing; since I run my show from my PC, I just leave them as WAV, but if you are using the MP3 Director, it won't read WAV files. You can convert them from WAV back to MP3 by running them through Audacity. You can also change them from an MP3 variable bit rate to a constant bit rate by running them through Audacity.

Denny, that worked. I originally ripped it with tunebite, and it was indeed variable. last night I used audacity, kept it as a .wav, and it worked like a charm. My kids appreciate your support...they worked hard painting the linus I cut out!!

As far as "finding" the mp3, you have several options, but none are as simple as just getting the file. If you have the dvd, find it there and use audacity to rip it. You can also find the linus monologue on youtube. If you do it that way, find one with good audio. I would suggest you use the original dvd.

Greg

guys, best way to solve this is every single song you use, import it into Audacity, then just "Export as MP3" right back onto the file itself.

Audacity automatically saves it in constant bit rate mode for you.

Guest wbottomley

jeffostroff wrote:

guys, best way to solve this is every single song you use, import it into Audacity, then just "Export as MP3" right back onto the file itself.

Audacity will NOT let you do that.

Because you cannot save over a file that's currently being edited.

If you're using a pc to control the show, use wav files.

Of course the director card only takes mp3's.

• 3 weeks later...

Mountainwxman wrote:

jeffostroff wrote:

Audacity will NOT let you do that.

Because you cannot save over a file that's currently being edited.

If you're using a pc to control the show, use wav files.

Of course the director card only takes mp3's.
I just tested it and it worked pretty good for me. I opened a file in Audacity that was variable bit rate, (the option to import was not there), but I opened it, then immediately selected export.. and it let me save right back to the same exact title, with no duplicate files, and it is now a constant bit rate.

I like mp3's because they take up less room on the computer. I don't use any mp3 players but my car stereo is an mp3 stereo and I just like to keep all my files as mp3's.

yes, I meant to correct Mountainwxman on that too. I always just save the file right back on top of itself. I process every single song this way before I use it in LOR, just to be sure it has a constant bit stream.