Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC

Durty

I bought the residential starter package, just trying to start simple and less complex.  What type of lights can I use with this controller?  Can I only use "off the shelf" normal LED or incandescent?

Is there no way to use "Dumb" RGB?

Basically, I was hoping to have lights that could change color (with the entire strip being one color at a time).  Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly.  Or, am I limited to just getting a set of red lights and then a set of green lights and a set of blue lights, etc.?

22 minutes ago, Durty said:

I bought the residential starter package, just trying to start simple and less complex.  What type of lights can I use with this controller?  Can I only use "off the shelf" normal LED or incandescent?

Basically, I was hoping to have lights that could change color (with the entire strip being one color at a time).  Hopefully I'm explaining this correctly.  Or, am I limited to just getting a set of red lights and then a set of green lights and a set of blue lights, etc.?

I'm presuming the starter package gave you a G3 CTBPCG3 16 channel controller, if so, no, you can not add Dumb or any type of RGB lights to it to do what you want to do.  Only standard incandescent or standard AC powered LED Strands, to change colors like you want, yes, you'd need to purchase a strand for each color needed, you make what is called a super strand where you bundle all 4 colors into one strand, but each strand still maintains their own power cord and each super strand would use up to as many channels as you have used colors.  Example a Red, Green, Blue and Clear{White} Super strand would have 4 AC power plugs, which each color would use 1 channel on the controller, so 4 colors = 4 channels.

Now you might get any way with using an RGB strand that has its own built-in controller, but that controller would NOT allow you to change colors yourself, and no way to sequence those to change within a sequence, these would only be an OFF or ON command in the sequencer, no dimming, no shimmers, no fades, no special effects of any kind.  Strictly FULL ON or FULL OFF.  But the controller would have to be the type that would retain its setting once power was off and go back to what you set it too when power is re-applied.   Most of us don't recommend using these type of RGB or any strand of lights that uses its own controller plugged into an AC controller.   Most of us would use these as an accent light that is plugged into a n external timer and just runs during the entire show.   Not saying they can't be controlled with the AC Controller, but it's usually not recommended, as some may have erratic behavior or could over-heat and cause a fire.  Something you don't want to happen.

I've used lights with their own controllers with my older CTB16PC controllers, but I did some extensive testing first, either outside on my driveway or on a concrete floor, so if something didn't go right, and they didn't work or smoked and possibly burned, they went to the scrap heap.  I always allowed for a full test, which was usually about 3-4 hours, the length of time they'd be in use in a show on the controller, if they worked, I'd use them in my show and, again, only use OFF and ON commands to turn them on/off.  As there is no way to control any strand with any controller that has its own built in light control system except by ON and OFF commands.

Hope this helps.

BYW: you'd need an RGB Controller, like a Pixie2D or Pixie 16D if you want to get into RGB lighting like you want to do, but this would also require you to upgrade your Software License to PRO.  And if you're going to eventually get in pixels, PRO is the only real way to go here, as some RGB controllers won't work with anything less than a PRO license, as well as many of the effects that are enhancements to control them via the Software Sequencer.

Edited by Orville
Correct some typos.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Durty said:

Short answer

No

You will need a dumb or smart controller. Really no need to use a dumb controller or strings because you will want to upgrade. A pixie 2/4/8/16 has a built in feature to allow you to treat smart nodes as if they are dumb just in case. But you cannot use a dumb controller for smart pixels nor dumb pixels with a smart controller.

Your AC controller can only control Incan or LED lights of any type. 

JR

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Short answer

No

You will need a dumb or smart controller. Really no need to use a dumb controller or strings because you will want to upgrade. A pixie 2/4/8/16 has a built in feature to allow you to treat smart nodes as if they are dumb just in case. But you cannot use a dumb controller for smart pixels nor dumb pixels with a smart controller.

Your AC controller can only control Incan or LED lights of any type. 

JR

AC controller Caution. ONLY if the lights have a 'simple' plug. Fuse or stackable. IF the plug is bigger, it probably has electronic (Most certainly if the lights have effects). THOSE MUST NOT BE DIMMED nor flickered.  (Many electronics do not like being jerked around quickly and will let the magic smoke escape). Exception: Labeled 'Dimable" (still, try just 1 to see if LOR's dimmang is detrimental).. Note: You can use the HU to set a G3's ports dimming curve to on/off.  Perfect for Strobes.  Also Label the controller  (Mine are: "Ports 15-16 No Dim" KISS, standardize your usage )