Light-O-Rama Forums

Question aboutsmart Pixel light from Ray Wu's store?

nortonz

I bought some pixel lights from ray Wu's store last month, and the last question that was asked before the sale was final. was what type of connectors. they listed LOR, so that's what I selected. They were 100 node strings, I bought 4 of them.

The first thing I noticed was the plugs were bigger, then the LOR plugs. I had some 2ft extensions, so I cut one in half to replace the Ray Wu connectors. The wiring on Ray's site did not do a good job of explaining how the wire code worked, but I was pretty sure the Data line should be in the middle. I thought the Black strip should be Ground, and the other wire should be Positive. So I hooked it up that way, It took out the fuse, so I thought maybe they switched the Pos. and ground, so I switched them. I took out the fuse again. 

Does anyone know what the correct wiring is for the lights? they are 2811 smart pixels Or will they not work for a LOR controller?  I had them hooked up to a Pixie8 controller on 12volts.

Thanks

Michael 

Get a magnifying glass and look at the back of the first pixel. The circuit board will be marked with the pin out.

You should also check the pin out of the extension with a meter to see which wire goes to which pin and then check it matches the female as wired to the controller 

You have to check the whole chain for correct continuity.

striping can vary although with LOR, the stripe is typically negative where on some others it is positive.   The best thing to do is to go all the start back at your pixie and using a volt (ohm) meter match it up to what is listed there.   As long as positive goes to positive it doesn't matter whether striped or not.    (be sure to unplug the connector first before testing)

I find it kind of odd it would blow the fuse even if backwards so you might check for other factors too. 

Edited by TexasLights

21 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Get a magnifying glass and look at the back of the first pixel. The circuit board will be marked with the pin out.

You should also check the pin out of the extension with a meter to see which wire goes to which pin and then check it matches the female as wired to the controller 

You have to check the whole chain for correct continuity.

OK I figured out what they did, The strip is Ground, the center is Positive, and the data is the other side. they crossed the wires on the inside, but the casing at the bottom is black, so I couldn't see it, I think what I will do is cut open the bottom of the casing, and solder the wires to the circuit board. According to the board the strip side will be Ground, the center is data, and the other side is Positive. Then just seal the casing. That should work.

Thanks

Michael

That is exactly why you never take anything for granted in this hobby. Always check what wire actually goes where.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

That is exactly why you never take anything for granted in this hobby. Always check what wire actually goes where.

I wonder if that's why it took out the fuse?  I hope the string is ok, will find out when I get the new fused I ordered.

Many years ago I got some JST connectors where the male and female had the plus and minus crossed up and I never noticed. After blowing multiple fuses and losing a lot of hair, I discovered the problem. Strings and controller unharmed