Light-O-Rama Forums

Rebar for arches

Tim

I was wondering form all those who use rebar to support their arches, if you pound the rebar straight up and down or angled?

If angled, how do you get it to be about the same at each end?

I'm using 10 feet 3/4 inch gray conduit for my arches this year and was just wondering the best way to support them. Thanks for your help!

Tim

this worked for me. Once I found a good spacing for my arch ends, I simply measured the spacing at the point where each piece of rebar enters the ground. I used a framing square to get a rought idea for the angle. this year I mad a jig. two pieces of plywood cut at the angle I prefer with a few feet of rope between them.

I prefer mine at an angle. Try one both ways and see what you think looks better.
I use 2ft rebar for 10ft arches and just eyeball the angle. they will self correct if they are a little different. I place the ends 8 ft apart

Brian Mitchell wrote:

I prefer mine at an angle. Try one both ways and see what you think looks better.
I use 2ft rebar for 10ft arches and just eyeball the angle. they will self correct if they are a little different. I place the ends 8 ft apart

I do it the exact same way for my 10' arches. I didn't measure the end-to-end distance but I'll bet it's about 8' apart give or take a few inches. That distance makes a very nice "arch" look imho.

-Jeff

Tim,

I used 10', 3/4" gray conduit, angled, 1' rebar for my arches in my Spider Dome... works well.

Hi Jeff!

Attached files 162034=9396-Spider Dome Night 640x480.jp

• 2 weeks later...

I use 1 1/4 inch PVC pipe to anchor the sides of my arches. The pipe is about 8 inches above the ground and 18 inches into the ground. My 3/4 PVC arches slide perfectly into the 1 1/4 inch pipe sleeves.

Just wanted to come back and say thanks to the person who mentioned the idea of rebar. I used 24" ones as recommended and it works great. Even in the strong wind, I don't need any extra support.

you all work to hard at this!! I make my kids stand outside and hold them.. it costs a dollar an hour per kid..... they can alway use the extra money to buy my x-mas present....heheh I have 8' arch made of pvc with 2 peices of rebar holding them upright I actually have my archs behind each other .. nice tunnel effect