Light-O-Rama Forums

How do I add smart rgb to my setup?

Luigi_A

I attached a picture of what I have currently. 

I just have a 16 channel controller with several songs programmed for it.

Call me dumb but how on Earth do I add smart rgb lights to my LOR 16Chl?

Can I still keep my 16 controller and program and just add to it or do I have to replace everything?

What I'm looking for is to just replace my roof channel to have rgb lights.

Links and pics of hardware would be greatly appreciated.

lorex.png

The one thing you NEED to add/replace (keep as a test spare) is a Red USB adapter. Smart RGB needs more speed than the Black can handle.

You also need more CAT5 cables than you have. You might want to bump your license to PRO, as that supports ELOR mode.

Look at https://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/#CCR You have the AC controller (must be a Gen 3 level with a Green LED) if you put it in the SAME chain (as shown) as Smart RGB controllers. (If your AC controller is older , it will have a RED LED and can't do the speed of the new ones. The rest is optional in bot selection or order

Just keep what you have  on a Separate USB port and Add a Red. Need more USB? Internal cards are best or only use a Powered USB Hub (be sure the power adapter is 2.5A @ 5V or better as there were some really sleezy, under powered ones sold.

First, you can add just about anything to your "system". When I say "system", that implies more than one controller. Depending on what you wish to see outside will determine what types of controllers and infrastructure you'll need to add. Your current controller will handle 120volt light strings. It will not work with pixels. For those, you'll need a pixel controller and the proper communications for it. There are two different types of pixels, dumb and smart. Each has its own type of controller and power supply requirements depending on the type of pixels you buy. 

There's a whole lot of things you can do, all depending on what you wish. Most of us suggest starting out slowly and learning before jumping off the deep end into this very addicting hobby. On the plus side, you are rewarded when your family, friends, neighbors and all the children get to see your show. You have become an artist in lights!

Back to the hardware, your current controller is using RS485 communications via the USB adapter from your computer. Some pixel controllers can also use RS485 but most all use E1.31 ethernet or TCPIP. This means you have two possible communications out there and they ARE NOT COMPATIBLE. So, you'll need to identify which is which because they all use Cat5/6 cables. Normally RS485 uses a different cable but LOR has kept it simple and a lot cheaper for us by using Cat5/6 cables for RS485 communications. This means, if you add a E1.31 pixel controller, you MUST be careful not to plug in the wrong comm cable to the wrong controller. You will indeed FRY something if you do it wrong. For E1.31 controllers, you'll come out of your computer's ethernet/internet port and go to the controller or a "switch" type router and then out to your e1.31 controllers. The RS485, you'll plug your USB adapter into the computer and then out to the first controller such as the one you have. From there, you'll daisy-chain to the next controller. The red usb adapter mentioned just above, is a high-speed adapter which allows for "enhanced" networks and some pixel controllers that have RS485 and E1.31.

There's a lot to learn and yes, we can help you.