Light-O-Rama Forums

Help! Other channels flickering for no reason

chuckd

Update on troubleshooting.
I isolated the power supply cord for a single arch to a different circuit. This initially seems to have stopped the flickering of other channels on other controllers when fading channels on that single arch.

This means the interference is most likely not leaking into the RS-485 signal but over the power. I may do some more testing to see how much isolation is really needed.
but.. maybe there's hope!

chuckd wrote:

...Fred, are you finding most of the failures are with strings that are sort of 'suspended', like on your mega tree? That's where all mine are failing...

A lot of mine failed just laying on the floor. :P

Other than the large number I had fail due to fading, most (but not all) of my subsequent failures have indeed been on suspended strings. I'm not sure why. I've been very careful not to put tension (other than gravity) on them.

Greg Young - these are the 2008, removable lamp, 50/100 count strings. I've heard nothing but glowing praise for the 2007 strings.

During testing and before construction of my Leaping Arches, my 36 strings of CDI warm white M5 LED's were flickering during fades. The colors of the lamps varied from bluish white to almost a yellow color. The bulbs were also very flimsy and falling out of the sockets. I thought they were going to be sealed lamps like the 2007 strings were. Due to these problems I scrapped the idea for this year and I'm sending them back to CDI for 2009 strings.

On the other hand... my 144 strings of C6 LED's from CDI for 2007 were flawless!
I guess we can only hope the LED's for 2009 will be better.

Thanks guys.. I got a little concerned as my newly installed arch has 3200 C6 LEDs on it, purchased last year (2007), and have not been tested for fading!

Phew!!!:dude:

Greg

Update on our testing regarding other channels flickering while fading an arch. We've done our best to isolate all power and data cables. One test that shows the interference is on the AC line is that we unplugged the data cable from the last several controllers and they still flicker.

One moderate success came from installing in-line EMI filters (like the x10 noise filters) on the supply side of several of our controllers. Oddly enough adding them on some controllers actually make all the lights flicker.
Right now i have about 5 of them installed and things are better.. but definitely not solved.

Has anyone else found any more solutions to the other channels flickering problem?

dave

chuckd wrote:

This years stuff.... Not sealed in the bulb OR wire area, replaceable bulbs (spelled 'extremely fragile'), and can't be dimmed (unless you like freaky looking light shows with smoke and fire effects).

I bought them on everybodys glowing reviews of last years model.

They will replace them all, but I've got a tough 6 weeks ahead. Go-live is this Friday!

Chuck

Chuck, I share your pain. I'm a victim of the CDI disaster as well and will not be doing business with them in the future. I spent over $2800 on their lights and they will replace them with '09 stock but I would have to disassemble tons of strings to ship them back for which they want us to pay the shipping fees. THAT is pure BS. They should never have shipped them or they should have recalled them for a full refund. I've been replacing strings regularly. I have no more spares to work with and my display has to last another month? I really don't think it's going to make it. I am really PO'd at CDI for letting this junk out of their warehouse. Never again. I got so fed up with my 3 color 21 string arches that I replaced them with D-Light Fire Fly units at the last minute. The arches are now dismantled as needed and the strings are used to replace the ones that fail. The bright side is I now have lightweight arches with millions of colors and reliability. Buh Bye CDI.