Light-O-Rama Forums

What would cause wmv movie files to be "choppy" in the preview?

TexasLights

I had a sequence that was working fine and now when I play it, the movie is "choppy" (perhaps not really descriptive but its the best i can come up with).   Its on a 24 X 50 pixel tree.  The computer and setup is pretty similar and while I have added a few things to the preview but not a lot.   Others motion effects including pictures don't have this.   I have upgraded the sequencer a couple of times recently and can't say for sure if it was after this that it started.   I rebooted the computer and all of the typical stuff.   I don't have the tree setup yet so I can't say for sure if its just the preview.   Just looking for any ideas.

In version 5.6.2, there was a change to improve the calculation speed of movie effects with WMV files. If you want to create a help desk ticket and attach (or provide a link to) your sequence and WMV files, I would be happy to investigate. Please mention this forum post in the ticket.

Something else to try would be converting your WMV files to AVI format. Or changing the frame rate to 20 fps.

Matt

I tried the 20 FPS for the wmv and that smoothed it back out.   I don't have a lot so that's option for me.  I will also update a trouble ticket.  

When I try avi, I always get the error "unable to read frames from this file" which is why I went with wmv. 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:55 PM, TexasLights said:

When I try avi, I always get the error "unable to read frames from this file" which is why I went with wmv. 

I'm seeing this exact same error. 

Matt suggested there might be a missing codec.  I installed the one he suggested and I still get the error but I have the wmv files so those work now that I set FPS to 20.  I use a site called cloudconvert to convert them (for free with limits per day). 

15 hours ago, TexasLights said:

Matt suggested there might be a missing codec.  I installed the one he suggested and I still get the error but I have the wmv files so those work now that I set FPS to 20.  I use a site called cloudconvert to convert them (for free with limits per day). 

Have you tried installing the full K-Lite Codec package?  I use the K-Lite Codecs, and they have always worked very well for me.  I also keep them updated every time I get an update notice.   And best of all it's FREE.

You can download the K-Lite installer from here:

K-Lite Mega Codec Package Version 16.4.6

Once you install the Mega Pack {Mega Packs include everything you need}, run the Codec Tweak tool and select Update, there is an update that will update the current 16.4.6 to Version 16.4.7

I've never had any issues with the K-Lite codecs and all my video files work great using it.   So you might want to try this one, if you don't have it.   I've been using their video/audio codecs for many, many years.

1 hour ago, dgrant said:

The codecs didn't seem to help me but using the WMV file instead and lowering the FPS to 20 as Matt suggested, works very nice!

One thing I learned with the Codec Tweak Tool is you can go in and make changes to a codec so that it works.  You may have to experiment around with the settings to make some things work properly.  Most of the time the defaults work, but on occasion, something changes, and you need to "tweak" a codec.    I've done this a few times when I had videos or audio files that used to work, but then when an update came in for Windows or some other aspect that Windows uses for the Audio/Video files, and then they didn't play properly.   So, I had to experiment with the settings, but eventually found a working solution by modifying the codec or codecs.  Takes time and patience, but it can be done.

And when you find a setting that fixes the issue and works, make sure you write it down and keep note of it, since you may need to change{those} that codec{s} again.