Light-O-Rama Forums

Did I purchase the wrong controllers?

bossgroove

Now that I have some controllers outside, it just dawned on me to check if they are weather proof or not. Now I'm not sure. I purchased the fully assembled controllers. Do I need something more?

I think all the LOR supplied enclosures are highly weather resistant. I believe the showtime boxes are NEMA 3R, and highly suitable. The P-136 boxes on the CTB16PC keep the rain out quite well also, as long as they are closed. I've seen no issues in 2 Halloween shows and 1 Christmas.

For the most part they are pretty weather proof so you should be ok. I made custom boxes disguised as presents to put my in to further get them out of the elements and the cords off the ground. This also allows me to anchor the boxes to the ground and lock them to deter theft.

I built and outdoor cabinet which I can roll out .. its about 4 feet high, 6 feet wide and 3 feet deep that has a lid that opens on the top and I can keep a lot of the power cords in it during the year. All the cords run out the back at the bottom.

I used an outdoor timer controller box, which is water resistant, and added these grommets for the output cords. Had to use a light coat of vaseline to get the cords through the grommets, but this way makes them as water resistant as possible.

Attached files 162092=9400-IMG_0061.JPG

I purchased all showtime products, and all will be outside in their own location. 5 will be laying on the roof at the angle of the roof, and 4 will be in the yard at a similar angle. I'm hoping they don't have to be exactly upright. I'll have to come up with some kind of shield.