Jump to content

ethernet cables


Recommended Posts

What is everyone doing for ethernet cables for your controllers? Are you buying premade cables or making your own? I am thinking about making new cables this year. I have used premade cables all this time, but they are always to long or to short. I have been crimping ends on cables at work and with the new push thru connectors and a new combo crimp/cutter tool and it is not to bad to make cables now.

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I also make my own. Regular connectors. Too cheap to buy another crimper.

On a side note booted ends are not recommended as they can put extra stress on the jacks when the lid is closed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you buy AVOID the thin ones sold at Amazon.The wire is labeled 568A (Not CAT5), the blue pair used by LOR has a real poor twist ( only the Orange and Green had normal CAT5 twist) and my controllers would not run (blinkin LED)

I Love the Push thru  ones (different strokes. Sorry Jim)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I rebuilt all of my cables last year using waterproof outdoor rated cable and keystone jacks (rather than crimping ends) and then short jumpers from the keystone to the controller.  Made the show run sooo much better.  The keystone jacks are easier to put on then crimped ends (IMHO) and can easily be removed/redone/replaced if needed.

Here's a video I made of the construction:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I have always made my own cables.

BTW, I don't like the push through "EZ-connectors".

 

Jim, I am curious why you don't like the push thru connectors.

Thanks everyone for different views on cables.

Phil, I never thought about making a connection as you show above. I have bought the regular panel connectors. I just rebuilt 6 controllers and added the jacks in the bottom of the cases. I also just put together 8 new controllers and put the jacks in them also. I really like the jacks in the bottom.

Wayne

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Wayne K said:

Jim, I am curious why you don't like the push thru connectors.

I find that getting the wires lined up is easier with the standard connectors - and you don't need a special crimper.  Keep in mind that the count of RJ-45 connectors that I have terminated in the past 40 years may well be a 5 digit number (over 10,000).  I can damn near do then in my sleep.

Now if you really want to get the best of both worlds, for Cat-6 connectors, there is a little insert that holds the wires in position.  So you thread the wires through the insert and cut them off.  Then the insert with wires inserted get shoved into the connector body and crimped.  It's done that way because to meet the Cat-6 standard, the wire twist needs to be maintained to within 1/4 inch of the crimp.  Can't do that with a Cat-5 connector.

And before someone gets too picky, the connector we use for LOR, DMX, and Ethernet is not a RJ-45 connector, but actually an 8P8C connector.  But if I called it that, most people would have no idea what I was talking about.  

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

I find that getting the wires lined up is easier with the standard connectors - and you don't need a special crimper.  Keep in mind that the count of RJ-45 connectors that I have terminated in the past 40 years may well be a 5 digit number (over 10,000).  I can damn near do then in my sleep.

Now if you really want to get the best of both worlds, for Cat-6 connectors, there is a little insert that holds the wires in position.  So you thread the wires through the insert and cut them off.  Then the insert with wires inserted get shoved into the connector body and crimped.  It's done that way because to meet the Cat-6 standard, the wire twist needs to be maintained to within 1/4 inch of the crimp.  Can't do that with a Cat-5 connector.

And before someone gets too picky, the connector we use for LOR, DMX, and Ethernet is not a RJ-45 connector, but actually an 8P8C connector.  But if I called it that, most people would have no idea what I was talking about.  

 

You can use any RJ45 crimper that allows the wires to clear. Had to do this a few times as I brought the wrong tool with me) Then you flush cut with a sharp utility knife. be sure to cut all wires at the same time (avoids whiskers if you cut from the edge).   I've only done a couple of thousand  in the last 20 years. Before that it was 'N' connectors and hand built AUI cables

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Make my own, using "RJ45" and crimper tool.  Started on my 2nd 1000' spool last season.  Had to fix a couple female jacks in some of my controllers this off-season to fix damage from pre-made booted connectors.  I like @PhilMassey setup, and I seem to recall someone (maybe @dibblejr) uses the CAT5 bulkhead controller housing extension cable from HolidayCoro.  After I had an ice storm collapse my Mega Tree last year, which caused my network jack to be pulled right off the board (thank god there were two jacks), these seem like good ideas.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Make my own, using "RJ45" and crimper tool.  Started on my 2nd 1000' spool last season.  Had to fix a couple female jacks in some of my controllers this off-season to fix damage from pre-made booted connectors.  I like @PhilMassey setup, and I seem to recall someone (maybe @dibblejr) uses the CAT5 bulkhead controller housing extension cable from HolidayCoro.  After I had an ice storm collapse my Mega Tree last year, which caused my network jack to be pulled right off the board (thank god there were two jacks), these seem like good ideas.

I have been using them since they began selling them on every build. They have saved me ore than once from the deer that run through my yard.

JR

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have been using them since they began selling them on every build. They have saved me ore than once from the deer that run through my yard.

JR

Every one of my controllers has the bulkhead ones from LOR, saved me from ME 🥺 (tripping on cables while adding other cables nearby)

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Every one of my controllers has the bulkhead ones from LOR, saved me from ME 🥺 (tripping on cables while adding other cables nearby)

I have some mean deer. Last year one attacked my giant singing trees and poked holes in it. To defend the deer, he got his antlers caught in my guy wire that i didn't think about stretching to some old baby oak trees. He trashed both of my trees to free himself however all nodes survived.

I've had hooves cut my cables and mess up the extension but my controller ports were saved.

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I make my own cables as well but I find that I like the push-through connectors better. Yes, I bought the special crimper that nicely cuts off the end. Works really easy for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/16/2021 at 4:47 PM, k6ccc said:

I find that getting the wires lined up is easier with the standard connectors - and you don't need a special crimper.  Keep in mind that the count of RJ-45 connectors that I have terminated in the past 40 years may well be a 5 digit number (over 10,000).  I can damn near do then in my sleep.

 

Jim

Is there a difference in the male connector for 5e stranded and solid wire or do they use the same connector?

 

What cable are you guys using then to make your outside cables. Are you using solid wire or the stranded wire? I was looking last night for 5E stranded and it does not seem to a lot of it out there. I was looking for a 500 foot roll.

The other thought I had was to buy a few 50 foot 5E patch cables and hack them into the length's I need.

Thanks

Wayne

Edited by Wayne K
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Wayne K said:

Is there a difference in the male connector for 5e stranded and solid wire or do they use the same connector?

Yes, there is, but you can generally get away using the wrong one.  From a web search, I found this reference: 
 

Quote

 

What is the difference between a solid and stranded connector?

A solid RJ45 connector has 3 teeth that pinch the solid wire to ensure good contact. A stranded RJ45 connector contains 2 teeth that bite the strands to hold the wire in place. Stranded is typically used when you are making your own patch cables.

 

 

6 hours ago, Wayne K said:

What cable are you guys using then to make your outside cables. Are you using solid wire or the stranded wire? I was looking last night for 5E stranded and it does not seem to a lot of it out there. I was looking for a 500 foot roll.

I buy 1000 foot boxes from Monoprice.com.  I normally stock Green, Blue, Purple, and Yellow Cat-5e solid.  https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=880

I use Purple for RS-485, and Green for E1.31

Here is an writeup on solid vs stranded cable:  https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/solid-vs-stranded-ethernet-cable#

When I need some other cable color, it is usually short lengths (long answer available on the why if desired), and most of those are pre-made cables (also from Monoprice.com)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...