Request for future software

I have been using this great sequencing software since 2009. When I first saw a show in December 2008 I knew it was to close to Christmas to do a show that years but I immediately bought the software to play with first. What I realized is that the Show Time Sequencing Suite controls light just as a music Midi file controls sound. I am a professional musician and producer and because I have a very good understanding of how Midi and digital audio works, the Light O Rama software was easy to understand for me. With this said. The request I have is based on my experience with the use of multiple computers and the transfer of sequence files between computers when using S5. In the past versions S3,S4, I could just copy the sequence file and add it to my other computer without playback issues with the exception of assigning audio file to the sequence. It was very simple. I just tried to transfer a single S5 sequence with a lot of motion effects and animated Gifs with a very disappointing result. None of the Motion effects transferred and none of the animated Gif files did either. I did find the fix for Picture and Gifs with the embedding tool. Thank you Don. My request is based on the digital audio/Midi software tool I use. I can create a Bundle file that takes all the digital audio files used and the midi data used along with all the effects plugin information and packs this data in a non compressed file so it can be transferred to another computer using the same Digital audio software where under open file this Bundle file type is a selection. the receiving computer extracts this file and creates and exact copy of the working file in it's own folder with all the data in subfolders as needed. This is now a ready to play exact copy of what I was working on from the first computer. The sequence knows where all the data needed for the sequence has been placed in the sub folder. Can any future upgrades to the software include this kind of bundling capability. There are many of us who use a sequencing computer and a show computer, the way things are now in S5, we have to copy the entire LOR directory to an external storage device and then paste it to the second computer to transfer a single sequence and for every time I make a change to just one sequence. This before I even think about creating a show. and this only works as long as all the data is under the LOR directory. I would think this should be a simple request account the software can create an entire show on an SD card for the show time director. Just allow the software to create a bundle file Under the save file as menu. 

Thank you for a great product. 

Kenny Jure

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think this would be a great feature to have.  Something that lets you select one, multiple, or all sequences, and then packages all necessary files for those sequences into something like a zip file that could be unpacked on the other end.

• Like 2

+ A LOT

Not an issue for me the way I do things, but yes, it has gotten far harder to move files - either for sequencing or playing on a different computer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Box on Rails said:

I just tried to transfer a single S5 sequence with a lot of motion effects and animated Gifs with a very disappointing result. None of the Motion effects transferred and none of the animated Gif files did either.

Wait. NONE of the Motion Effects transferred? The Motion Effects are IN the loredit file; if those didn't copy when you moved the sequence to a different directory, I'd be out of business. Since that's not the case, something went very, very wrong.

If you use SuperStar, the avi files are store in the same directory as the sequence. While I'm not downplaying the feature request, if you save your sequences in different directories to start with, finding those avi files becomes easier.

Thanks for the feedback! We hope to have a feature like you describe next year.

There are many ways to make life easier with the current capabilities of the software. This is my personal approach:

1. My show computer stays offline in order to keep software updates, One Drive, DropBox, etc from interfering with shows. That means I have to use a flash drive to update the show computer.
  2. Picture files for all sequences are kept in "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Pictures". This way I can easily share pictures across sequences.
  3. Sequences are stored in a folder for the year -- "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2021" for this year.
  4. My media files (audio or video) are transferred to the show computer ahead of time -- my playlist is decided early in the year (definitely gonna have + might have if I get around to it). I recommend keeping these in the "Light-O-Rama\audio" folder. A sequence that references media in the audio folder can be moved to another computer and still find the media file - as long as that media file has been copied to the audio folder on the second computer.
  5. I use a free utility called TreeComp on my sequencing and show computers to transfer files on and off the flash drive. TreeComp compares the contents of 2 directories/folders, shows you the differences, and makes it easy to copy the files that have changed. So directory A would be on the show or sequencing computer and directory B would be on the flash drive. TreeComp shows me which files have changed and I just copy those files (all within TreeComp). https://lploeger.home.xs4all.nl/TreeComp.htm
  6. So when I need to update the show computer:
    • I plug my flash drive into my sequencing computer. It has 2 folders on it: "2021" and "Pictures"
    • Use TreeComp to compare "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2021" on the sequencing computer to "2021" on the flash drive, then copy any changed files onto the flash drive.
    • Use TreeComp to compare "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Pictures" on the sequencing computer to "Pictures" on the flash drive, then copy any changed files onto the flash drive.
    • Close TreeComp on the sequencing computer and Eject the flash drive.
    • Plug the flash drive into the show computer.
    • Use TreeComp to compare "2021" on the flash drive to "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\2021" on the show computer, then copy any changed files onto the computer.
    • Use TreeComp to compare "Pictures" on the flash drive to "Light-O-Rama\Sequences\Pictures" on the show computer, then copy any changed files onto the computer.
    • Close TreeComp on the show computer and Eject the flash drive.

If you have questions about which files are being used by your sequence: with your sequence open in the Sequencer, select Sequence > File References from the menu. This will tell you all of the files used by the sequence.
https://www1.lightorama.com/help/file_references.htm

If you plan to open your sequences with the Sequencer on the show computer,  you will probably also want to sync the "Light-O-Rama\CommonData" folder between the sequencing and show computers. You can use TreeComp for that too.

I hope that helps :)

Matt

Might I suggest freefilesync.  It will handle network or physical drives.

You can configure as many 'sync' tasks as you need. They can be set to Mirror (one way), update,  or two way sync. 

The Free version is strictly manual launch of a task (no scheduler). 

• Like 1

Yep, you could use FreeFileSync anywhere I mentioned TreeComp above. I would add that FreeFileSync has better performance than TreeComp - so if you are copying large numbers of files, then FreeFileSync is the better choice. I continue to use TreeComp because I like the simple interface and I have used it for many years.

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

Glad I read this thread.  Got two programs that'll sure help me out with keeping my files updated and the same.  I have so many files I've changed when updating sequences and audio files I need to get straightened out, so these 2 programs should be a great help with getting everything organized better and better control of my LOR Directories {as well as others on my 2 computers}.

Will these help in finding duplicate files as well?  Or is there another program that may help with that problem?  Just know I have audio files all over the place, newly downloaded and copied into specific directories, but sometimes I have the same file in several directories {when creating edits or custom audio from them} and I need to only have one original file, not 3 or 4, because I forgot which directory I put the original file in, {usually a subfolder somewhere}.  Hoping these two programs may help with cleaning that up as well.

Edited by Orville

On 9/15/2021 at 1:40 PM, TheDucks said:

Might I suggest freefilesync.  It will handle network or physical drives.

You can configure as many 'sync' tasks as you need. They can be set to Mirror (one way), update,  or two way sync. 

The Free version is strictly manual launch of a task (no scheduler). 

freeFileSync free version does have  RTS ->  RealTimeSync  which is a separate small program.  It detects additions/updates to folders and then launches FFS to do the copy task.   You can turn on RTS when you want or make it a start up task or even set it as a service. (I have not tried that one)