Light-O-Rama Forums

Should I create a Visualizer for everything in S4 before moving sequences to S5? And a few other questions on this option.

Orville

Playing around with S5 on my other Win 10 system, but I haven't created any prop files or added any controllers, let alone tried importing any of my S4 sequences as yet.

So the main question is, do I need to create all my channel props in the S4 visualizer them import that into S5?  I understand how the S4 viz works, so I think I can handle creating everything in the S4 Viz.

Now the other questions about this are:

Once I have all the items from S4 created in its Visualizer, then I import the .lee file into S5, correct?  That is what I understand from the tutorial video.  But my question is, once I've done that, will this also populate any sequences I transfer into S5 from S4 with all props, channel config{channel names /prop ID-info} and controllers used in the S4 sequence?  Will all that import into S5 automatically?  Or will I still need to rename channels, create prop files for each and add in each controller manually?

I don't seem to grasp the how-to on how to create a prop in S5, assign controller or channel names as yet, so hoping I can just import a visualizer file I'd create with all this info in S4, and it'd autopopulate what I need into the S5 software.

Is that how it works, if not?  Then, I've still got a lot of figuring out how to convert my S4 sequences into a working S5 sequence.   Still watching the S5 tutorial videos, but just not certain I'm quite understanding how to get S4 sequences into S5 with the minimal amount of doing anything manually in S5.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions and answers.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orville said:

Once I have all the items from S4 created in its Visualizer, then I import the .lee file into S5, correct?

Correct.. you would open the S4 lms file with S5 - at first step > Select "Start a new preview named:" then click the "Next" button - on that second step screen you will hit Visualizer" button and point to the lee file - then next

You have two major options.  1 is to have Visualizations in S4 with all your props and HOPE that the S5 Preview Editor i,ports it correctly.  When S5 first came out, it did not do a good job of importing - however I understand it's far better now.  Option 2 is to build your S5 Preview from scratch.  As long as the channels line up correctly with your S4 .LAS and .LMS files, that will work fine.  I ended up building all my S5 Preview from scratch.

• Like 1

Just to add to what Jim said, Think of making a Preview the same as drawing a Visualizer but with the addition of channel and ID info. It is not much different to making a Vis.

There is also the possibility that you will go to the trouble of creating the Vis, only to have it fail to import properly. I was lucky, all my S4 sequences came over fairly well using the Visualizer method, But there was a lot of cleanup required. If I were to do it again I would make the Preview first.

If you use Tracks, they will import using the vis method.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Orville said:

Playing around with S5 on my other Win 10 system, but I haven't created any prop files or added any controllers, let alone tried importing any of my S4 sequences as yet.

So the main question is, do I need to create all my channel props in the S4 visualizer them import that into S5?  I understand how the S4 viz works, so I think I can handle creating everything in the S4 Viz.

Now the other questions about this are:

Once I have all the items from S4 created in its Visualizer, then I import the .lee file into S5, correct?  That is what I understand from the tutorial video.  But my question is, once I've done that, will this also populate any sequences I transfer into S5 from S4 with all props, channel config{channel names /prop ID-info} and controllers used in the S4 sequence?  Will all that import into S5 automatically?  Or will I still need to rename channels, create prop files for each and add in each controller manually?

I don't seem to grasp the how-to on how to create a prop in S5, assign controller or channel names as yet, so hoping I can just import a visualizer file I'd create with all this info in S4, and it'd autopopulate what I need into the S5 software.

Is that how it works, if not?  Then, I've still got a lot of figuring out how to convert my S4 sequences into a working S5 sequence.   Still watching the S5 tutorial videos, but just not certain I'm quite understanding how to get S4 sequences into S5 with the minimal amount of doing anything manually in S5.

Thanks for any tips, suggestions and answers.

My friend - absolutely not. However if you have a prop you created export the LPF/ LEE file only. Import that in to S5

My experience with my vis import was bad enough that I quit S5 2 or 3 times in a few months.

Once my friends started helping me all went well and I ran my first S5 show for my Covid graduation show.

One thing I would add - before starting a sequence ensure your preview is 100% the way you want it.

Several of us here will help you and you probably have our cell numbers.

JR

8 hours ago, PhilMassey said:

Just to add to what Jim said, Think of making a Preview the same as drawing a Visualizer but with the addition of channel and ID info. It is not much different to making a Vis.

Every visualization I ever built had channel information.

If I have to do this from scratch, that's an awful lot of channels and info to add in manually.   And every time I've tried to create any type of prop in S5, I seem to fail at it miserably, and the controllers or lights never come on when testing.  So I've got to be doing something wrong somewhere, but just trying to start to create a prop I get lost and always seem to mess things up.   I'd hate to have to write down all this info by hand with all the channels I have in my S4 sequences in S5.  I think that'll take me a very long time to do, especially with my current vision being what it is.  At least with S4 I can have the sequence open and work from their with creating the items in the visualizer.  Is S5, seems the props have to be created before the sequence or sequence import, and therein lies my biggest problem with creating the props correctly in S5.   This is one instance where it'd be great if you could have both S4 and S5 on the same computer at the same time, would makes things a lot easier on me in trying to figure this prop stuff out, that's for sure. LOL

I;m going to try and create everything in the S4 Viz and see how that goes first, if it doesn't work, then I'll be calling up JR for some help at that point.   Just hope it imports into 5.6.4 properly with no disasters in the making.

• Like 1

I decided to just create my S5 Preview from scratch.  Yes, it was a little bit of work but it's made the process to import the sequences go much smoother (plus I was able to clean up some things from my old Viz files).

On 9/14/2021 at 2:19 AM, Orville said:

If I have to do this from scratch, that's an awful lot of channels and info to add in manually.   And every time I've tried to create any type of prop in S5, I seem to fail at it miserably, and the controllers or lights never come on when testing.  So I've got to be doing something wrong somewhere, but just trying to start to create a prop I get lost and always seem to mess things up.   I'd hate to have to write down all this info by hand with all the channels I have in my S4 sequences in S5.  I think that'll take me a very long time to do, especially with my current vision being what it is.  At least with S4 I can have the sequence open and work from their with creating the items in the visualizer.  Is S5, seems the props have to be created before the sequence or sequence import, and therein lies my biggest problem with creating the props correctly in S5.   This is one instance where it'd be great if you could have both S4 and S5 on the same computer at the same time, would makes things a lot easier on me in trying to figure this prop stuff out, that's for sure. LOL

I;m going to try and create everything in the S4 Viz and see how that goes first, if it doesn't work, then I'll be calling up JR for some help at that point.   Just hope it imports into 5.6.4 properly with no disasters in the making.

Standing by LOL

JR