More extension cords or make something else?

Biff

Only did my first light show last year. One 16 channel box. This year I added a pixel tree and another 16 channels. My question is: just buy more extension cords or is it more cost effective to make your own cords? Especially on smaller light displays. Thanks for the input… 😂

15 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Make your own, vampire plugs and some SPT wire.

I agree 1000% with Mr. P.  I made that same mistake (of buying extension cords) when I first started.  Since I've switched to SPT I've now got a ton of cords that I don't use anymore, take up a bunch of storage space, and are heavy.

Buy a heavy gauge (smaller #) cord to SUPPLY the controller

MAKE your SPT cords for traditional, low wattage strings. Be sure to mark their length at the ends for the next show setup.

I also use color cable (zip) ties as markers at both ends since the cords tend to be single color.  'Blue is not coming on'. <slap> in wrong port.

You can find a assortment kit on Amazon. While you are there, get a zip tie tool ~$20 💡 Black last way longer in the sun  than clear/white

I actually marked the controller/port and string it goes to on both ends on all mine. And I snaked them together where possible. This allows me to grab a bundle of cables and lay them out in the general area they belong, and then connect all the ends. Keeps them bundled together across the lawn so there are fewer to trip over. Makes it easier to pick them up at the end of the season, too. For instance, instead of picking up 16 extension cords for my mega tree, I pick up two bundles.

There are many places in my display where the controller is mounted so close to the prop, that I can just plug it in without using an extension cord.

For example, if you're building a 16-channel mega tree, put the controller in the middle of the tree and run 1 extension cord to the controller. Not only will you have less cords to route and trip over, you will probably end up saving money.