Light-O-Rama Forums

I would like to clear something up.

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

I have recently seen an accusation that I am JR Dibble….

I am 1 person. 1 account. 1 house. And as you all can see, 

I have 1 email that I use. 

I have had this email for 16+ years.

My name is Chance Harris.

i do thank you for getting he and I confused. He has fantastic work on here that I strive to sequence like. 
however, I am me, and he is he.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Don said:

Rookie. :) I've had some since 1997. :)

Not sure how old my dibblejr email is. I think I made it about the same time as yours but could have been the old AOL "You've got mail". You are showing your age. I don't think the military emails came out long before that. I'm not sure if I had an email in the very early 80's -90's. I do remember one of the first computer games Flight Simulator. 

JR

Just now, dibblejr said:

You are showing your age.

Well, before email I could be reached at 1:130/82 on FidoNet. :) So yeah .. I'm old.

Thank you for clearing that up Chance. I bet we are almost twins though. JK

Thank you for the compliment but your faces and sequences are great as well.

JR

Just now, Don said:

Well, before email I could be reached at 1:130/82 on FidoNet. :) So yeah .. I'm old.

LOL, IDK what that is, perhaps a dog caught in a net. 

JR

My first email was a company account. I also had USENET access: 1978. 

In 1980, I had a 'the source' (time $hare) account via 300baud (direct connect) modem (I think I might still have that somewhere) on my TI 99/4a, and later a Compuserve account which had the best technical user groups at the time.

In 1990, I registered the domain (hosted by Best,com) greenduck.com (the source of my handle) and let it lapse in 2000 :unsure:

And my mindspring.com account from when I got my first DSL in 2001 is still active.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

My first email was a company account. I also had USENET access: 1978. 

In 1980, I had a 'the source' (time $hare) account via 300baud (direct connect) modem (I think I might still have that somewhere) on my TI 99/4a, and later a Compuserve account which had the best technical user groups at the time.

In 1990, I registered the domain (hosted by Best,com) greenduck.com (the source of my handle) and let it lapse in 2000 :unsure:

And my mindspring.com account from when I got my first DSL in 2001 is still active.

Now the oldsters are really coming out. I was almost a Marine in 1980. 

JR

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

TI 99/4a

Loved my TI 99/4a. Was my first PC.
2400 baud was my first modem.

I'm not as old as some of you. :) I feel better now.

I WAS BORN IN 1991…..

Mic drop.

LOL

JR, not so sure about the twins thing! But, hey, if you want to think that you look like me, that’s fine. But some people aren’t this lucky 😁

And DUCKS, I have no clue what you are talking about. lol I’m assuming TI stands for Texas instrument lol

the best thing I can say, I remember talking on a bag phone. But that’s as far as it goes for me.

Edited by weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

The first computer I ever saw or used was a mainframe at college in 1973. No screen, just a keyboard and printer. Think Teletype. Probably had less power than a calculator. LED calculators were just coming out, and still very expensive.

8 hours ago, Don said:

Loved my TI 99/4a. Was my first PC.
2400 baud was my first modem.

2400 baud!  I remember having to drop down to 110 baud because we could not get 300 baud to work over the phone line!  That was on a TI Silent 700 terminal with the acoustic coupler.

Fast forward almost decade and when I upgraded my dial up bulletin board to a U.S. Robotics 9600 baud modem around 1986 - that was REALLY hot stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

Hey dibble, ummm I mean Chance, I keep getting the two of you confused.  😁

IDK how, I mean I needed to start sharing sequences some how. I guess I needed the second account to start sharing sequences again. SMH

JR

46 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

2400 baud!  I remember having to drop down to 110 baud because we could not get 300 baud to work over the phone line!  That was on a TI Silent 700 terminal with the acoustic coupler.

Fast forward almost decade and when I upgraded my dial up bulletin board to a U.S. Robotics 9600 baud modem around 1986 - that was REALLY hot stuff.

You meant to say Morris Code and or telegraph. When I joined the USMC and went to Japan the only way to comm back home was via the USO and the telegraph i think.  Always could hear the person repeating what I was saying. Because of miss communication the old technology made me miss the fact that my Grandfather was very sick and dying. 

JR

10 hours ago, TheDucks said:

on my TI 99/4a

I still have mine in a box in the basement, along with the 12" black and white TV I used with it and the cassette tape player used for backups.

I also still have all my punch cards from college (CoBOL and Fortran decks) which were executed via the College's NCR mainframe (circa 1981).

Yes I am old.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

I also still have all my punch cards from college (CoBOL and Fortran decks) which were executed via the College's NCR mainframe (circa 1981).

Never used punch card, but after they stopped being used, I had a box of blank ones.  Kept a few in my shirt pocket as note cards.  First time my wife went into labor, she woke me up a little after midnight to tell me she was having a contraction.  I pulled out a blank punch card and wrote down the time.  With each contraction, I wrote down the time.  When we later went to the hospital, the nurse asked how far apart her contractions were - I handed her the card.  She was impressed.

3 minutes ago, Mr. P said:

Dang, you all are some old farts in here.  😁

hahahahaha…

Throughout my journey with this hobby. I have yet to meet anyone younger than me. Lol everyone has been 40+. 
of course, all of our friends call us the old couple. Because we don’t fit in the this millennial junk 😆