Light-O-Rama Forums

BEAT WIZARD IDEA.

weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com

not sure where this would go

I have had a few songs that have been off with the beats. I have not used it very much due to this.

yes, I know I can use the “tap” method. Or the VU,

however, 

Can there be a way that we can manually input what BPM we want it to be?

if not, I REALLY think this would be AWESOME. 

• Like 1

If you use Audacity and the Queen Mary plugins you can do that already, well sort of..

Open your music file in Audacity and then analyze it with the "Bar and Beats Tracker:Beats..", in the following window you should be able to input the bpm. After the analyzing is ready, export the labels, File>Export>Export Labels. Now you should have a file that you can import to S5, from an open sequence go to Timing>Import Timings: and then Import from Audacity label file.

It can be done in S4 to but I suggest that you in that case look att John Storms tutorial on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCqTb0f8VKI

• Thanks 1

I use the beat wizard and if some of the timing marks are off I fix it manually. To do this right click in the location of where you want to insert the new Timing Mark and a menu opens up. go to the the Timing Mark selection and the first choice should give you "insert timing at (the location you use on the right mouse click) left click on the choice and your new timing mark is created. one thing I have found is that older music was never recorded with a click track so the tempo can change quit a bit but most modern music uses a rigid computer click tack and that allows the Beat Wizard to work well. For songs that have drastic tempo changes I use the Tap Wizard. then I go back and manually fix any mistakes I make. I also must add I am a drummer and there are not many mistakes made. LOL hope this helps. 

You also don't have to fix EVERY timing mark. As long as you get the starts of your phrases lined up, just delete all of the timings in between, then subdivide however many marks were there (like 16). I'm a musician, have been sequencing for 12 years, and teach classes on this method at the Christmas Expo. Works beautifully and accurately. No need to try and tap out to hit the exact beats for every instrument line, and certainly no need to ever touch a fixed timing grid.

15 hours ago, Aubrey said:

You also don't have to fix EVERY timing mark. As long as you get the starts of your phrases lined up, just delete all of the timings in between, then subdivide however many marks were there (like 16). I'm a musician, have been sequencing for 12 years, and teach classes on this method at the Christmas Expo. Works beautifully and accurately. No need to try and tap out to hit the exact beats for every instrument line, and certainly no need to ever touch a fixed timing grid.

I use this method too. I figured I posted enough info in my post to create a little confusion. LOL .This is a great way to correct the beat wizards imperfections. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Honesty, I LOVE this idea.  Sometimes while the beat wizard is spot on, you want to setup timing marks that are in line with something other than the bass beat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1