Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb RGB Nodes - Don't all light up with GREEN or BLUE (All RED works)

joebuck425`

I have a string of 62 dumb RGB nodes on a CMB24D controller.  In the Hardware Utility and also Sequencer if I turn the lights to full RED all nodes light up as they should.  If I try to turn on Blue or Green then only 3 consecutive nodes light up and the rest stay off?  Not sure what to try for troubleshooting?  Would it be a possible bad wire connection somewhere?  I would think that would be all or nothing on the lights though?

Thanks!

As a test, hook up the string with the other end connected to the CMB24D (yes, you can do that with dumb RGB).  See what lights up that way..

Edited by k6ccc

I'll run through both options provided and get back with the results.  Does seem to be the obvious starting point. Thanks guys!

Check and see if you have insulation trapped under the screw on the CMB24 for Green, Blue leads. That combined with voltage (string) drop, might exhibit  that sympton.

Also, DUMB strings can be connected at either end (if there are no connectors)

FWIW I keep a old (Security Cam/Monitor) 12V, wall wort.  handy to test dumb strings. You only need ~1-2A if you test 1 color at a time.  (old UPS batteries (weak, not dead) also work out in the yard with no need for AC).  Just apply the + (center pin on most , BUT do check) and  the - to the color under test

Visual inspection of the wiring and nodes looked good.  I checked continuity on both end of the node and apparently there was something wrong with the node itself?  Cut it out of the mix and soldered in a new node and the string came back to life.

I'll keep everything in mind when this happens again as far as voltage drops and troubleshooting techniques with batteries outside, etc. 

Thank You all for your advice!

23 minutes ago, weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com said:

Does continuity run through the data wire on dumb nodes? 

There is no data wire on dumb RGB nodes.  There are four wires:  Positive voltage, Negative Red, Negative Green, & Negative Blue.  Those four DO pass from one to the other can can be fed from either end (or both).

• Like 1