Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Extension Cable

James Hill

Hello everyone,

I have 5 mini pixel trees with 120 pixels each. I will have the controller and PSUs about 12-14 feet away from the trees. I have lots of 16/3 Outdoor Extension Cord that I was going to use to make extensions to reach the controller. New to pixels this year and learning as I go....with the difference in guage of wire from that used with the pixels...will there be any problems? Thanks in advance.

well, at least you will get to do some soldering and use some of those cut off end connectors - never the less you will have some heavy duty pigtails/extensions

Edited by Jimehc

I agree with Jim: Overkill (and it will be a PITA as the wire will be STIFF and you need to splice 16 <> 20ga)

If they already have pigtails I recommend purchasing premade extensions.

No cutting means less chance of water infiltrating your wires.

Also you can Make yoir own extension and pigtails by purchasing the 20’ cables and cut an end off for the pigtail and if your lights do not have pigtails use pre soldered butt connectors and some extra heat shrink for your splices.

I normally go one step further to ensure no water gets in. After soldering add some silicone over the splice, slide the heat shrink and melt it until the solder comes out at the ends.

JR

The zip cord will be very heavy.   Dont let its weight pull on the 20ga.      Usually a lot easier to mount the controller closer to the prop.  You didnt say how many extensions you plan to make?