Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16PC Status light shows solid once connected to pc however the hardware utility can’t find it and I can’t set ID .

Status light shows solid once connected to pc however the hardware utility can’t find it and I can’t set ID .  I have plugged and un plugged the controller reset the computer several times and nothing seems to work, what am I forgetting?

I'm going to assume (hope?) that you mean you connected it to the RS485 adapter (which is connected to your computer via USB cable) and then to your controller.

Yes?

The other things to check are:

You are using the correct COM<>LOR adapter pairing (easy to get wrong if you have multiple LOR adapters or a real Serial/Modem also (common in Laptops)

That the MAX ID's  (upper right) is not set to a number lower than your controllers ID

Check your comment port assignment.

If comm 3 is not present go into device management in the USB ports and figure out which is correct 3

You may need the drivers installed as well

manual and driver below

JR

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www1.lightorama.com/communication/amp/

https://www1.lightorama.com/firmware-updates/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

So I just finished a new CTB16PC and now I have two devices that the hardware utility can’t find symptoms are exactly the same , the CTB status light will go solid once Hardware Utility is selected the computer seems to know the devices are there but the hardware utility can’t find either one the problem seems to only be with the PC version all other controllers show up.

44 minutes ago, Phild said:

So I just finished a new CTB16PC and now I have two devices that the hardware utility can’t find symptoms are exactly the same , the CTB status light will go solid once Hardware Utility is selected the computer seems to know the devices are there but the hardware utility can’t find either one the problem seems to only be with the PC version all other controllers show up.

Check that all the LOR<>DMX jumpers are correct.

Check the RS485 Driver has all its legs in the socket.

OH and did you set the ID to a Unique value before adding it to the same network with other devices?

If the status light goes solid when the HU is selected, it's not likely the LOR <>DMX jumpers or the RS-485 driver chip.  However check the Max Unit ID setting in the upper right corner of the HU.  Set the Max as high as it will go.  And connect that one controller to the computer (via the RS-485 adapter of course).  Try the scan that way.  Also with only that one controller connected, you can use the section near the lower left corner of the HU window to change the ID for any connected controller.  Set the new ID to whatever ID you want for that controller.

What controller is the CTB16 connected (it’s chained) to?

If it happens to be a pixie series ensure the jumper is on the pins in front of the data port. 

The pin # will be based on the controller and can be found in the users manual.

JR

There is a possibility that the RS-485 driver chip is bad, in that it can receive, but not transmit. The solid light means that the controller is receiving the heartbeat signal from the computer. To make sure, exit the hardware utility while the light is on, and it should start flashing.

If you have more than one controller, then swap the RS-485 driver chip if you have the version in which the chip is in a socket. It's an 8-pin chip.

I had a RS-485 driver chip fail in this manner. We used the controller throughout the season, because it could still receive and control lights, and we replaced the chip afterwards.