Light-O-Rama Forums

Singing Tree - CMB24D

joebuck425`

I am working on setting up a singing tree using dumb RGB 12mm nodes and a CMB24D controller.  Are there importable Prop Definition files or could someone help get me started in the right direction with defining this in S5?

• Channel #1 Top Lip: 19 Nodes
  • Channel #2 "Oh" Mouth: 25 Nodes
  • Channel #3 "Ah" Mouth: 30 Nodes
  • Channel #4 Middle Mouth: 30 Nodes
  • Channel #5 Bottom Mouth: 33 Nodes
  • Channel #6 Eyes Open (both): 62 Nodes
  • Channel #7 Eyes Closed (both): 18 Nodes
  • Channel #8 Tree Outline: 90 Nodes
Edited by joebuck425`
more detail

Do you have a pic of your face?

I’m assuming you will want to use this in DMX mode and assign universes

Also, it is much easier to sequence if you reverse your fixture order.

1-outline

2- O Eyes

3- closed eyes

If not yours will be opposite of 100% of all of the face layouts I have seen

Go to prop def

Set your controller stuff on the first page

Next click on “custom”

On the left- click on import picture

Use the + and - to make the grid as large and as. Lose to having nodes align as possible- it may take some time

Next populate the nodes 

When using DMX universe’s 

universe 1 =  pixels

1-999

universe 2 = 1001- 1999

Universe 3 = 2001- 2999 so on and so forth

As I mentioned above you may want to rethink your pixel placement.

What I try to do is have the least cutting and adding wire for reaching where nodes may be to far apart.

You have 2 options- I may be wrong since all of my 32 singers are smart pixels but you have 2 options

Option 1 try to get 170 pixels on 1 universe and the other 118 on universe 2

Or - use it like an AC controller and each port would have a fixture

I would design it in the prop def/ preview and test it before populating nodes. If it works in the preview it should work on the physical prop as long as the cmd24 has the power to power all of the nodes. ( that I do not know) I have a cmb24 but only for my small floods so I am trying to use what I know about controllers, pixels and power to help you.

Once you are sure how you want find the place to start node 1

Normally or a singing tree I would start on the top and go counterclockwise . This way if I want to do a chase for the outline it is easy. 

You can only have 170 pixels per universe. You should do a little math and see how that works for you.

With what you posted that would be 

Universe 1 

Outline 90

eyes o - 62

eyes c 18

Universe 1= 170

In the custoM prop def grid that would be 1-170 for universe 1

That puts all  if you’ mouth fixtures on the 2nd universe

Universe 2 = 137 if I added correctly

Numbering in the custom bulb placement grid it would be  pixels 1001-1138

Look at that and if you have questions feel free to ask.

Once yiu get that part figured out take a pic and Print. You will want to number each node in your universes with the node number on your strings.

This will save you what may be hours while setting theM up in the grid view.

IMO- the grid view is the most difficult part especially if you have  singing props with 500+ nodes each.

Once that is done and all fixtures are sorted out ME rows can speed up Sequencing .

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Am I missing something or did you JR?  He is using dumb RGB with a CMB24 (I would presume on a LOR network).  Most of your description applies for smart pixels via an E1.31 controller.

I do completely agree with putting his channels in the "standard" order.

5 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Am I missing something or did you JR?  He is using dumb RGB with a CMB24 (I would presume on a LOR network).  Most of your description applies for smart pixels via an E1.31 controller.

I do completely agree with putting his channels in the "standard" order.

Hmm, one paragraph is gone where I say he has 2 options, one using individual ports like ac controllers 8 per face and then the DMX

I also said I could be wrong since I only use my cmb for mini floods.

But the cmb can use DMX. Wouldn’t that allow him to use the method above?

I think a member of our team Chance used cmb for his faces but maybe not in DMX mode.

However in his previous post asking about cmb dumb or

pixie smart I did recommend smart nodes and pixie controllers.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

21 hours ago, joebuck425` said:

I am working on setting up a singing tree using dumb RGB 12mm nodes and a CMB24D controller.  Are there importable Prop Definition files or could someone help get me started in the right direction with defining this in S5?

What exactly are you asking….

are you trying to set up your preview for the tree? 
Are you trying to control lights?

are you setting up your channels?

Which singing tree are you talking about?

I assume you Have made the jump to S5 this year for the first time.

lol I thought I posted this earlier. And yeah, I used it on the regular network. A controller per singer. 

I have made the jump to S5.  last season i converted all of my sequences over from S4 and all went well.  I guess what I am asking in reference to this topic is really where to begin?  I am also not 100% sure were to program this with the audio files.  Will the singing face be done in Sequencer or Superstar?  I messaged dibblejr a little bit last fall when I tried tackling this but am still a bit confused so was hoping to start a little earlier again on this to see if I can have it ready for this season.  He mentioned going smart nodes with pixie controllers, but I have already got everything constructed to where I am hoping i do not have to start over with replacing all the lights and controller to make this work.

To answer a few of your responses:

- The singing tree I am talking about is one from HolidayCoro (https://www.holidaycoro.com/RGB-Singing-Christmas-Tree-p/100rgb.htm)

- Setting up the Preview?: Yes, not quite sure for a singing face what I would need to do for that?  I've been able to do rooflines, arches, mega trees, etc. Is this more of a customized layout?  

- Setting up channels?:  Probably need some advice to make this clean.  I added a CMB24D controller as a RGB with 8 channels.  The ID for this is 2A.  From the Preview though it just shows up as a line of 8 stars.  I did export my preview in case that make things a little more clear?

Christmas.lorprev

Edited by joebuck425`

The way I set mine up,…

set the picture of the tree as the background image. 

Since this is just dumb rgb, the number of nodes does not really matter.

set the tree as your background image,

go to

preview design,

Add,

“create a new prop using one of the built in shapes, or define a custom shape”

on the left, click on RGB, then Dumb RGB

THEN,

under “shape”

select from the drop down Menu “bulbs”

then enter the number of bulbs on that channel.

Starting location is preset to “left”

change the name To whatever you are controlling 

example “outline”

change your unit ID to 1A or whatever you want it to be.

click “SAVE” 

this will take you back to the “preview design window”

click on “OUTLINE” 

adjust background image with the brightness slide so you can see the image. 
then you can move each individual “bulb” on the screen and just Place them over your picture….”connect the dots”

DO NOT RESIZE IT..

click save. then go back to the “ADD” tab. And draw the next channel of your Prop.

after you draw all Of your channels over your Picture,

go to “preview design” window. And select ALL of the channels That you drew.

Example,,,,

click “outline” Press shift and click the 8th channel so all the props are highlighted blue.

all Of your tree will turn yellow. Then you can resize all of it together as 1. 

if you can’t figure this out. PM me.

Here is also a picture of what I am working on.  Everything enclosed and sealed in a 2x4 frame with the controller mounted to the rear. 

I'll review your suggestions and get back to you with a high five or desperate plead for more help.

Thank You!

20210816_221525.jpg

20210816_221622.jpg

As I stated in my long post above.

If I were you I would build it in the prop def and preview before placing the nodes.

If it works there it will Work on the prop.

Need help feel free to ask.

JR

Update:

- I created a new Preview just called Singing Face.  
- I have added the 8 props per your directions and connected the dots to the background image.  
- JR, I am also reviewing the method you mentioned in your post.  This will take me a little more time to figure out the custom grid size and multi channel placement for the nodes in the prop definition.  Going this route creates just a single prop as opposed to 8 in the Preview itself.  Pros/Cons?

Questions:

- Static channels that would not change a whole lot based off audio I can use ON effects in SE, correct.  Turn the outline on, open/cose the eyes, etc.
- Do the mouth channels also get set in SE manually or can I use SS to run an automatic wizard?
- Since I have created that separate Preview, what would I do to combine that with my Christmas Preview that has the background of the house and other prop overlays?

I will be hooking up the singing tree to my laptop to verify I am able to control the lights properly tomorrow.

Edited by joebuck425`

Personally I do not recommend SS for this type of singing faces.

To me there are only 3 methods to sequence faces

1- Manually as I do, grid by grid. I may be alright at it.

2- For people starting use Papagayo

Visit the ItsMeBobo site and download the latest version of Papagayo and his Papagayo to LOR conversion tool

3- buy or get shared ones, though due to some bad apples shared sequences are becoming less available

If it works in the preview / playback window, as long as everything controller wise is set correctly it will work on the prop.

Those of us who sequence faces do different things with the outlines and stars on faces.

I will sometimes use my outlines and stars as individual props without the eyes and mouths.

Remember yoi do not have to have the faces on at all times.

See my videos for examples

Need tips on sequencing feel free to ask. My class from the Virtual Christmas Summit is on YouTube just search VCS - Sequencing singing faces manually

I will add some videos in a few.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

5 hours ago, joebuck425` said:

Static channels that would not change a whole lot based off audio I can use ON effects in SE, correct.  Turn the outline on, open/cose the eyes, etc.
- Do the mouth channels also get set in SE manually or can I use SS to run an automatic wizard?
- Since I have created that separate Preview, what would I do to combine that with my Christmas Preview that has the background of the house and other prop overlays?

Yes it is an on or off. All you do is select the color you want it to be. The toolbar is self explanatory for that….

I am not familiar with any of the auto sequencing for faces… there are lots of people on here who are.As JR stated, a lot of people use papagayo.

and adding these to your other preview, you will need to save the prop. And import it into your other preview….. I am not currently at mY computer so I cannot give you a step by step…..

but somewhere on there prop def or preview design, Is a save/export prop file. Look for that,,,, yoU may have to select all 8 props together. (I am not sure)

then go to your other preview and hit the “ADD” tab in the preview design. In the drop down menu, there should be an import prop file of some sort.

select your prop file add it and correct any unit ID or channel conflicts.

Here is the HC Singing Tree - included in your Preview

Edited by Jimehc
Attachment Removed

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

Here is the HC Singing Tree - included in your Preview

Christmas.lorprev 113.12 kB · 0 downloads

When it comes to RGB there is really no “standard” prop. It all depends on how each person places the nodes.

If he didn’t place the nodes however they are laid out in your prop file it won’t work for him.

Its all based on preference and the type of controller used.

Yout shared file may be a starting point or entirely worthless to the OP. This is why when I help someone with their props I have them draw it out to see what they are thinking.

Just want to inform the OP since he is new to this just as you are that some things are not equal.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks for the vote of confidence JR... And I am not as Stupid as you think I am...

The Prop is setup using a Dump Controller 2A using the standard channel layout - node count does not matter since it is Dumb RGB...

At the least - I gave him something to work with..

You do you - and I'll do me.. Thank you

Edited by Jimehc

18 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence JR... And I am not as Stupid as you think I am...

The Prop is setup using a Dump Controller 2A using the standard channel layout - node count does not matter since it is Dumb RGB...

At the least - I gave him something to work with..

You do you - and I'll do me.. Thank you

I didn’t call you stupid! 

Using others words and or productions as your own is what you do best.

LOL SMH

JR

Edited by dibblejr