Light-O-Rama Forums

WMA and WAV files under LORInternal\CanonicalAudio folder

Orville

I had brought this up a long while back when I found out the SE was creating WAV files in an earlier version and I wanted to stop the SE from automatically creating the WAV files, in 4.4.16 Pro, it now creates 3 files in the above listed folder under the folder structure where the original MP3 is located.  It also now creates the .lpx file in this same folder structure with the WAV and WMA audio files, which are the 3 files.

At one point, I believe someone mentioned to uncheck the "Use Internal Media" and this would prevent the SE from creating the audio files, well it doesn't, as I don't use that option, it is unchecked, but these 2 audio files still get created, and most often thay are 2, up to sometimes 4 times the size of the original MP3 used.   Personally I don't like this and want to know is there a definite way I can prevent these 2 audio files from being created, as when you have a lot of sequences these audio folder gets quite LARGE and just eats up too much HD real estate.

I preferred it when the SE DID NOT create these files, and it created the .lpx file in the same directory as the sequence it paired with.   I am constantly deleting these folders to get rid of the audio files, but every time you edit a sequence to improve the lighting commands, making changes, etc., these WMA and WAV audio files are RE-CREATED all over again, very annoying that I can't stop the SE from making these 2 audio files, especially when a large MP3 is created out of multiple MP3 Audio files to make a 5 or 10 song medley of songs.  {I'm doing this because of the fact I use a N4-G4 Director, and it's limited to no more than 99 sequences per show, so my work around for the number of songs I use to cover an 11-1/2 span is to combine songs, then I can have one show with over 400+ songs with less than that 99 sequence limitation}.    And since these 5 to 10 song creations are already quite large, the WMA and WAV files are astronomical compared to the original MP3 song compilation file.

So if there is any way to prevent the SE from creating these WMA and WAV audio files, would be very appreciated.   Just tired of wasting extra time deleting the darn WMA and WAV files that could be used more for sequencing than deleting.

Thanks for any suggestions or ways I can stoop these files from being re-created, or created in the first place.

Edited by Orville
Had 23, when it was supposed to be "3".

19 minutes ago, Orville said:

What folder are they being stored in my friend?

I am looking in a folder I create recent singing face sequences and I only have the lms, lsv and bak.

Also checked my media / audio folders and only my mp3s are there.

I am in 4.4.16

I only use MP3's. I wonder if it has anything to do with using wav files as the audio source.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

There are in LORInternal\CanonicalAudio\ and maybe something under that.  For example, my LOR files are in a network drive that is mapped as L:\  So these files are in L:\LORInternal\CanonicalAudio\L\

I assume the reason that they are created is that it takes far less CPU horsepower to play a wave file than a .mp3.  So by creating the wave file, it removes a bunch of CPU horsepower requirement when sequencing or playing the show.  Educated guess on my part.  Reality is that disk capacity is so inexpensive that using up a bunch of space is generally not a problem.  For example, the last hard drive I bought was a TeraByte of the high grade drives that go into servers, and it cost about the same as going out to dinner with the family one time.  The drives that typically go into consumer PCs are not much more than half that.

6 hours ago, dibblejr said:

What folder are they being stored in my friend?

I am looking in a folder I create recent singing face sequences and I only have the lms, lsv and bak.

Also checked my media / audio folders and only my mp3s are there.

I am in 4.4.16

I only use MP3's. I wonder if it has anything to do with using wav files as the audio source.

JR

Nope, I don't use WAV files at all with one exception, I use them in a program that creates a movie file of sorts, a program called CrazyTalk [older FREE version], other than that, I don't use WAV or WMA files for anything, only MP3 files, and Jim is correct, these are stored in that folder, but may create an almost exact mirror image {MINUS MP3 file{s}} of where the original MP3 file is located.  For example, I will get a structure something like this:  Original MP3 file is in my C:\LOR\Audio\Sidewalk Prophets\Christmas Songs\Oh What a Glorious Night {No Linus Intro}.MP3.

Then the SE when the sequence is created {NEW} or re-opened {if I deleted the originally created folder} will create this in the C:\LOR\LORInternal\Canonical\L:\\Sidewalk Prophets\Christmas Songs\Oh What a Glorious Night {No Linus Intro}.xxx, where xxx = an extension of WAV and WMA, along with the .lpx file.  No MP3 will be in these folders.

Also, note that the L:, can be any letter, I have had N:, M:, and other letters, none of which I have drives for except for L:, which is my external 1TB drive.   If the SE created these files on Drive L:, this wouldn't be much of an issue, but being on C, the main drive, is, as it is only a 230GB drive and there is a lot of stuff on it that I use with Windows 7 Home Edition, and that drive only has about 120GB left, but when it creates these WAV and WMA files, that 120GB gets eaten up real quick and I have to delete them, so I can work on other sequences, so this IS a problem, at least for me.   If there was a choice where to have the LOR SE create these on another drive used for basically data that has a lot more space, then the issue wouldn't exist.   I don't want to install the LOR default location of C:\LOR on the L drive, but would be nice if there was a preference to where LOR stored all the C:\LOR\LORInternal files elsewhere, as this is also where it defaults for downloads of firmware and other things LOR uses, although those files don't eat up much space, unlike the WAV and WMA files tend to do.  {I keep all my WAV files on L:, as well as some of my MP3 files that I use on occasion for a sequence.  

Since I use an N4-G4 Director to run my shows, this isn't an issue with MP3s being located elsewhere, only the creation of these other external WAV and WMA files, and even if I could replace my current C: Drive, I wouldn't and don't want the headache of trying to make a clone of it on a new drive, especially since Windows 7 is no longer supported and this system WILL NOT run Windows 10, it's far too old for that version.   And when I've tried cloning an operating system drive in the past, the new set up wanted Windows to update files all over again, and I usually had to do a complete re-install of everything.  That just turned into a nightmare, won't even attempt trying to do that, just afraid I may lose all functionality of everything if I did.  Happened too many times in the past and I'm computer savvy, but could never get a cloned drive to work correctly.   So this system remains as it is for what I use it for.

The WAV files under LORInternal\CanonicalAudio are only created when you use an MP3 as your media file. This is done so that when you are editing a sequence and start playback in the middle of the file, the audio starts playing from precisely the correct time - the S4 Sequence Editor and the S5 Sequencer both use the WAV file instead of the MP3 for playback. The Show Player uses the MP3 file for playback because it always starts playing the audio file from the beginning -- it never has to seek to the middle.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you used WAV for your media file ( which I do ) would the software create the mp3 file for the director, which I assume needs the mp3 format.

I suspect not.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but if you used WAV for your media file ( which I do ) would the software create the mp3 file for the director, which I assume needs the mp3 format.

I suspect not.

No. When you create the SD card, it's going to insist that the media file is an MP3.

Thanks, Matt Brown, at least NOW I DO understand why the WAV files are created, but why the WMA files?  What purpose do they serve, if any?   Do they work the same as the WAV file?  Just wondering why the SE needs two separate types of audio files to be created.  

And I don't recall older versions creating WAV files when I used the space bar to stop or start a song from anywhere, either by putting the cursor in the block I wanted to start from or by highlighting the time bar in a specific section.   If they were created in older versions, I never found them when doing a search of WAV files across my entire system.  So, if they were made, they must have been well hidden!

1 hour ago, Don said:

Move your LOR directory to the external drive.

Problem solved.

Don, is there an easy way to change the default LOR directory to another drive without having to do a complete re-installation? 

I've never tried changing the default C:\LOR to a different drive, but willing to do that if it's something that I can do without too much trouble, and still maintain my folder and sequences I have.  {I have a cloned backup of my C:\LOR directory on my L: Drive, but it's not named LOR, but Backup of LOR.  I still need to back up some of the newer files I've created recently to that folder, which wouldn't be too much trouble.

Just wondering what is the best way to go about moving the default from C: to L:?

Thank you in advance.

There is a program called lorpost.exe in the lor program folder.

This is the same program that runs at first startup after a new install and gives you the option to specify the lor data folder location.

I know this works with S4 but have never used it with S5.

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I just checked my drive as Orville mentioned above.

I had to dig a little deeper but finally found it.

I have 1483 files. All are MP3’s with the exception of 3.

They are MP3.wav.lpx 

May I ask, could this be due to my computer crash last year and I haven’t used the other songs?

I did check one of my recent sequences that I shared and it does not have anything but the MP3.

Just trying to figure out why it’s different from the other answers.

Thank you 

JR

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

They are MP3.wav.lpx 

May I ask, could this be due to my computer crash last year and I haven’t used the other songs?

Those aren't actually MP3 audio files, they are a result of the S4 Sequence Editor analyzing your audio file. You can delete them if you want to.

1 hour ago, MattBrown said:

Those aren't actually MP3 audio files, they are a result of the S4 Sequence Editor analyzing your audio file. You can delete them if you want to.

Are you talking about the .lpx files?

JR

Thanks for the answer and help folks.  I knew there was a program, but couldn't recall which one was used to change the default folder LOR uses.   Thought I may have had to go and download it from the LOR website, like I did with the LOR Registry Wipe program.

And speaking of that, should I also use the LOR Registry Wipe software BEFORE I change the defaults using LORPost?  Or can I just run the LORPost and leave the Registry Wipe software out of it?

Thanks in advance.

On 8/14/2021 at 9:33 PM, dibblejr said:

I just checked my drive as Orville mentioned above.

I had to dig a little deeper but finally found it.

I have 1483 files. All are MP3’s with the exception of 3.

They are MP3.wav.lpx 

I did check one of my recent sequences that I shared and it does not have anything but the MP3.

Just trying to figure out why it’s different from the other answers.

Thank you 

JR

Mine come out like that too JR, but I also have the WAV and WMA files, which also show "MP3" in their filenames as well, sorry I forgot that the WAV and WMA files added in "MP3" BEFORE the .WAV and .WMA files S4 creates, so my song like "Where is Santa Claus.MP3", will show up as "Where is Santa Claus.MP3.WAV" and "Where is Santa Claus.MP3.WMA", I always get 3 files created, one of them also being the "Where is Santa Claus.MP3.lpx".  And all 3 are always together in the same folder structure.