Light-O-Rama Forums

How to Attach Pixel Strings

kzziboy

Hey everybody!

Wondering if anyone can post pictures or describe how you attach your pixel strings to outline your house? How do you put them under the gutters, at the peak on the roof edges down the sides of the house and around your windows and doors?  Looking for ideas of how to keep them in place in facing the right direction. 

Thanks!

Mount on 1/2” pvc conduit.

Get some HC coro clips.

The coro clips are strong and i

only have 6 clips on my longest runs.

Depending on the nodes you can use zip ties, screws and some use both tape and screws ( what I use are the rectangular 3 RGB nodes per section) double sided tape and screws to adhere to the conduit.

JR 

Sweet. I actually bought some of those. Just wondering if there was another way someone came up with that I wasn’t thinking of. 

49 minutes ago, kzziboy said:

Sweet. I actually bought some of those. Just wondering if there was another way someone came up with that I wasn’t thinking of. 

Mine stay up year round. During the first hurricane to ever make it to central Alabama last Halloween I discovered that after 4 years of full exposure the casings had deteriorated  badly.

See video, but 4 years IMO is a long tome and worth the cost. Mine were free for beta testing. 

Since it was beta testing, did they change their method of manufacture or the substance they use at all to keep from breaking?  I’d hate to leave mine up all the time. 

Unlike JR, I do not leave mine up full time. I just use PVC with square pixels hot glued to the surface. Looks a bit messy in the daytime, but its December. The eaves line is in sections fed both ways from the center of the house. Each section plugs into the next with an SPT connector and they hang on clips so there was no need to damage the sheathing. That's the controller for all the house elements on the left.. The one on the right is for the 16 floods on the roof.

I initially made all the house elements in 2011 and they are still going strong. I occasionally have to re-glue an odd pixel but it takes longer for the glue gun to warm up than it does to fix.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01z8akc656vhhl9/20201106_160919.jpg?dl=0

5 hours ago, kzziboy said:

Since it was beta testing, did they change their method of manufacture or the substance they use at all to keep from breaking?  I’d hate to leave mine up all the time. 

No, beta didn’t last that long.  The company was shut down due to Covid and I don’t think they have the opened yet.

I haven’t heard from them. 

If you take them down every season they should last you a long time.

Also there are a lot of rumors that replacing old light sections with new lights will make the new sections brighter in a show. I found this untrue after replacing the sections that needed replacing. Just because the clear coating on the lights were yellow, weathered or damaged, all lights looked the same.

The video was after replacing the damaged lights. You would never know.

I fastened the strips to 1/2" PVC.  The PVC is snapped into spring broom clips that are installed in the soffit.  The longest run is 19 feet and four clips were installed for that span.  They have worked well for the past eight seasons.  Easy for setup and easy take down at the end of display season.

.1060842566_SpringBroomClip.png.32f46a8765673c71f4456e80e669ad61.png

Mine stay up year round.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5i2F72IyBY

at around the 7:08 mark I explain how I do it.  In the video I was using Dumb Strips, but have since upgraded to Pixels.  You can use the same method using Nodes, you just have to drill holes to fit them in.  I've seen jigs made to keep the spacing even and straight.