Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect Help

jfuller8400

Hi All,

I'm in the process of converting all of my sequences to S5.  I'm also replacing my current leaping arches with new pixel based leaping arches so at the same time I'm converting my sequences to S5, I'm also changing the leaping arch sequencing to utilize motion effects.  However, I've got one effect that I can't seem to replicate as a Motion Effect.

So the old leaping arches were divided into 4 segments per arch utilizing dumb RGB.  So they looked something like this:

A1S2    A1S3                          A2S2    A2S3

A1S1                       A1S4       A2S1                         A2S4    .......

I was then able to program an effect across the arches where I was able to fade up and hold the channel on.  So A1S1 would fade up and then hold on for the rest of the effect.  A beat later A1S2 would fade up and hold on for the rest of the effect.  Etc, etc, until all segments had faded up and were on.  It looks something like this in the sequencer

image.png.3c9a7a15b23e714b5e3460c9f9f487c4.png

So at the end of the effect the entire arch was turned on.

I've been trying to replicate this using the single block motion effect but haven't had any luck.  I've tried turning the head/body/tail sliders all to 100 (in various combinations) but the single block effect always sweeps the pixels off at the end.  I can't find a way to keep all of the pixels turned on at the end of the single block effect so that both arches are still lit up.

Thoughts/suggestions on how I can do this?

Thank you in advance!

You can still do the effect using the individual channels but it will be easier to use a chase through as many pixels as you need. I still use many conventional effects and a lot of chases for all my pixels.

Simply fill in the first row with your fade and chase down to the bottom row by selecting chase, and dragging. 

You do have to have a space at the end of the effect in the first row for the chase to work.

Off the top of my head, you might be able to get something similar using the Scanner ME. Bars, and Curtain might work, but you will have to play around with the settings.

i use additional motion effect rows when i want to control it exactly.   That is, you can create a subset of the entire object.   I have both left and right (column 1 to column n)  and up and down (row 1 to row n) motion effect rows.  That way, if i want something to go across at a specific rate, I just use the old style chase (using a color change adds a nice effect too).   There are a lot of different effects and some of the sub effects can create some novel things, but sometimes I just know what I want.

Edited by TexasLights

There is nothing like manually sequencing. You a computer and a pair of wired headphones. Become one with the music.

ME is great but I am used to sequencing manually.

JR

On 8/1/2021 at 9:46 PM, jfuller8400 said:

Hi All,

I'm in the process of converting all of my sequences to S5.  I'm also replacing my current leaping arches with new pixel based leaping arches so at the same time I'm converting my sequences to S5, I'm also changing the leaping arch sequencing to utilize motion effects.  However, I've got one effect that I can't seem to replicate as a Motion Effect.

So the old leaping arches were divided into 4 segments per arch utilizing dumb RGB.  So they looked something like this:

A1S2    A1S3                          A2S2    A2S3

A1S1                       A1S4       A2S1                         A2S4    .......

I was then able to program an effect across the arches where I was able to fade up and hold the channel on.  So A1S1 would fade up and then hold on for the rest of the effect.  A beat later A1S2 would fade up and hold on for the rest of the effect.  Etc, etc, until all segments had faded up and were on.  It looks something like this in the sequencer

image.png.3c9a7a15b23e714b5e3460c9f9f487c4.png

So at the end of the effect the entire arch was turned on.

I've been trying to replicate this using the single block motion effect but haven't had any luck.  I've tried turning the head/body/tail sliders all to 100 (in various combinations) but the single block effect always sweeps the pixels off at the end.  I can't find a way to keep all of the pixels turned on at the end of the single block effect so that both arches are still lit up.

Thoughts/suggestions on how I can do this?

Thank you in advance!

If you want it smooth, you are looking for a Curtain Effect, either left or right depending on the direction you're going, and you want it to "close." If you want both arches to do that sequentially, make sure they're in a "horizontal align bottoms" group. If you wanted the color to stay on longer after everything has faded up, you'd add a colorwash of the same color after it. If you want the segments to come up one at a time, on specific beats, manually having the colorwashes fade on is your best bet.

Thanks both Phil and Aubrey!  The curtain effect worked perfectly for what I wanted.

• Like 1