Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding New RGB Props

kzziboy

Hi Everyone.

Using the Pro version of S5.  I'm new with this.  Wondering how to set the correct UNIT ID to each RGB Prop that I add?

I added a Pixie 16 last year and used all channels for an RGB Pixel Tree.  I see there's a different UNIT ID for each string in the pixel tree.  Now, I have another Pixie 16 that I want to use for the outline of my house and windows.  How do I get different UNIT ID's to show up for each "prop" I enter on the Sequencer Preview?  It defaults to Unit 1 which is already used.  The pixel tree starts at Unit 5 and counts up to Unit 14 then switches to 0A, 0B, and so on up to 0F.  That's 16 different ID's.  The tree works correctly in my sequences.  Am I correct in saying I would want my new Pixie 16 that I'm using for the house to start at Unit 0G?  Then count UP 16 spots for each Unit ID number?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Adrian

its hexadecimal (counting in 16s, its a computer thing).  the numbers are 0 - F (0 to 15) so the next unit after 0F is 10 up to 1F and then 20 and so on 

Okay.  So if my Pixie 16 that's running my pixel tree starts at 05 and counts up to 0F, then what number would you suggest I start my NEW Pixie 16 at that will run my house?  20?

A Pixie 16 starting at 05 would use 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 0A, 0B, 0C, 0D, 0E, 0F, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14.

Since I don't know your setup, I don't know if this would introduce any ID conflicts. However, I would personally suggest #1 Pixie start at 10, and #2 pixie start at 20.

Since you have a pro license there is no issue with having gaps so to make it easier you can just make sure to pick a starting number that is higher than the last you see in the preview.   Yours says 14 so go to 20.   If it says 34, go to 40, etc.     If it happened to say 5A, than go to 60.    You are not using some of the "valid" numbers but it doesn't hurt.   

My job is programming so I do hex all day, but I still do this to make it easier for me.

Edited by TexasLights

I also do Hex Boundary numbering. x0-xF  (16 ID devices).

In my case I found advantages to NOT use those, So I block out my Pixie assignments by 8's (0-7, 8-F) even when I use a Pixie4 initially. That leaves 4  ports if I need to swap in a Pixie8 without pain. (done 1 time SO FAR). 01-1F is for dumb devices. FWIW I chose to stick close to LOR retail sequence assignments... Just in case I buy some.

I used 20 and I seem to be in business!

Now, I have a question that relates to having everything show up uniformly.  If you look at the picture of my preview design, just the house, not the other props...do I have the strings layed out properly?

If so, how do I make uniform color displays on the house?  For example, let's say I wanted the house completely dark and I want to turn ALL the lights on from the middle out to each end, and display PURPLE...How do I get the individual strings to work together to make that "look" happen?  Purple in the middle, extending outward to each end.  Make sense?  Based on where the strings are on the design, will the software "KNOW" how to make that effect happen?

Thanks again!

House.jpg

27 minutes ago, kzziboy said:

I used 20 and I seem to be in business!

Now, I have a question that relates to having everything show up uniformly.  If you look at the picture of my preview design, just the house, not the other props...do I have the strings layed out properly?

If so, how do I make uniform color displays on the house?  For example, let's say I wanted the house completely dark and I want to turn ALL the lights on from the middle out to each end, and display PURPLE...How do I get the individual strings to work together to make that "look" happen?  Purple in the middle, extending outward to each end.  Make sense?  Based on where the strings are on the design, will the software "KNOW" how to make that effect happen?

Thanks again!

House.jpg

You must tell the software where the starting pixels are. You can view the sequencing in there playback window as reference.

On another note.

With S5 you can use a pixie 16 on a CCR tree or other prop and use less ports by selecting the fold in prop def.

This will allow yoi to get more props from your controllers.

JR

So as long as the controller is in correct relation to the blue squares, it should display correctly?

Let's say I want to put the controller right where the yellow X is.  You can see where I have the start of the individual strings...should this work out for my layout?

Please note that I have two strings coming to meet each other on the peak and gutter directly over the front door.  There are separate strings on each section of the windows and also on the garage doors along with separate strings on the garage roof and gutters as well...

House.jpg

26 minutes ago, kzziboy said:

So as long as the controller is in correct relation to the blue squares, it should display correctly?

As long as you build the preview to match the way the actual props are built, it will work.

13 minutes ago, kzziboy said:

Let's say I want to put the controller right where the yellow X is.  You can see where I have the start of the individual strings...should this work out for my layout?

Please note that I have two strings coming to meet each other on the peak and gutter directly over the front door.  There are separate strings on each section of the windows and also on the garage doors along with separate strings on the garage roof and gutters as well...

House.jpg

I really can’t tell. I am not exactly seeing it in your roof line especially where the two sections in the center  of both of those..

Can you draw arrows as too how you expect it to flow? 

What I do is have my ports starting pixels next to each other and go down the peeks, the gutters go from outside edge to inside  

It really doesn’t matter because you sequence it to move in whatever direction and motion you want.

See videos.  All left and right sides of my peeks start with node 1 at top 

2 hours ago, kzziboy said:

Here’s the individual strings and locations of the first pixels.

It really doesn't matter when you have the string start/stop (in 99% of the cases.) If the software knows Pixel 1 is on the left and 50 is on the right, and you tell it to do a left to right chase, it will. If Pixel 50 is on the left and Pixel 1 is on the right, and you tell it to a left to right chase, it will do a left to right chase.

Take the Preview you have and start programming something. Anything. Don't worry about the music right now, just make it do something and you'll see what I mean.

I did exactly that. I did some effects and everything seems good with one exception.

I copied an effect from the pixel tree to apply it to the entire house like I did with some others and it wouldn’t work on the house. It was an “up and down” chasing effect. The other “butterfly, shimmer, chasing effects worked, but on that one the house just stays dark. Any thoughts?

1 hour ago, kzziboy said:

I did exactly that. I did some effects and everything seems good with one exception.

I copied an effect from the pixel tree to apply it to the entire house like I did with some others and it wouldn’t work on the house. It was an “up and down” chasing effect. The other “butterfly, shimmer, chasing effects worked, but on that one the house just stays dark. Any thoughts?

Since it’s up and down on the donor did you copy/ paste to all pixels on the house?

Check the pixels within to ensure effects are there.

If not it may be showing only 1 pixel on your playback which is very difficult to see.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Okay, now when I open a sequence from last year it shows that I have new props (the house outlines). 
However, when I look at the sequence, each one of the new items is filled in with “speckles” on the grid. (See picture)475C1B51-49F8-4E48-923A-53E2FA97A88C.jpeg.97d83602fa7ea8e23a010650c6375997.jpeg I can’t clear them out or change them in any way therefore I can’t program anything new into those props. What am I missing?

1 minute ago, kzziboy said:

Okay, now when I open a sequence from last year it shows that I have new props (the house outlines). 
However, when I look at the sequence, each one of the new items is filled in with “speckles” on the grid. (See picture)475C1B51-49F8-4E48-923A-53E2FA97A88C.jpeg.97d83602fa7ea8e23a010650c6375997.jpeg I can’t clear them out or change them in any way therefore I can’t program anything new into those props. What am I missing?

They are called cross hatches.

If you add ME or Channel rows they should go away

JR