Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree Measurments Help

mmais68569

Well it has been a few years since I was in high school math & want to check if I am right on my mega tree. I am useing a ploe that is 20' tall I am useing lights that are 25' strings. Now if my math is still good useing the 3,4,5 formula for a triangle my lights should come 15' out from the base, correct. 4x5= 20 which is the height of the pole. 5x5= 25 which is the lenght of the lights which should mean 3x5=15 which is how far out the lights will be. If I am wrong please let me know .

Thanks Mike

the 3,4,5 rule is for a right triangle. However you are applying it incorrectly

the hypotenuse of the triangle is the square root of the sum of the sqares of the other 2 sides. For example. if the 2 sides of the right triangle are 3 and 4 then that is 3 squared or 9 plus 4 squared or 16.

9+16=25 the sqare root of 25 is 5.

Chuck

How is your tree mounted?

I use a 20' pole also, but it is mounted in a sleeve in the ground the is 2' deep. So it is actually only 18' out of the ground. So if your tree is similar like that, you will need to account for those extra 2' feet you are losing.

I am useing an old TV antenna pole that is 23' overall I am putting it ina sleeve of PVC & in the ground 3' with 3 guy wires. Hope to have my son help me get it up next weekend.

Mike

Have you ever used the TV antenna pole before? I have read some people using them and they buckled under the weight. Not sure how many lights they were using it. The ones I have seen I can see that happening with a lot of lights. If you don't have many it should be fine.

If you haven't yet check out this mega tree calculator...

http://www.planetchristmas.com/Excel/MegaTreeCalculator.xls

The pole I am useing is at least 30+ years old back when they made real metal. Pluse I have shortened the top pole by about 2-3' & I will place pvc pipe over the top section to keep it from bending. This will be the first year I have used it & will have about 4800 lights total in 2 colors.

Mike