Light-O-Rama Forums

Mini Director & Falcon F16v3

Sgmaitland

I'm contemplating a Falcon F16v3 to gain the larger number of pixels.

I run my show on a mini director (Mp3, Gen 3). I also have two older 5v CCR controllers, a `12v CCR controller and 3 CTB16s.  I would like to continue using the director instead of dedicating a computer to running the show.

Has anyone done this? Do you end up limited to 100 pixel strings?

Thought?

Thanks

Scott

sgmaitland

The House on Adelaide St.

I don't think the directors support E1.31. I run two Falcons but they are wired directly to the ethernet port of a computer or switch, NOT a LOR network. That is one reason I have never had or never will run from a director.

30 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I don't think the directors support E1.31. I run two Falcons but they are wired directly to the ethernet port of a computer or switch, NOT a LOR network. That is one reason I have never had or never will run from a director.

Thanks.  I was afraid that would be the answer.

If I'm following correctly, you have a computer running LOR software that has an ethernet connection to the E1.31 (basically the ethernet port on the computer). Do you also have a LOR network connected? Or, are you running everything by E1.31 controllers?

I have two LOR RS 485 adaptors connected to the USB ports for my remaining AC controllers and my DMX moving heads. All my E1.31 pixel stuff (10 controllers) come off of one ethernet port. I do have to "split" the ethernet at several places using network switches to get to all the controllers. Falcons include a one port switch so you can daisy chain them. Some E 1.31 controller don't, hence the need for the switch.  i run S5 and have three holes in my wall.

Similar situation to Phil.  For year round landscaping, I run two LOR networks, and for Christmas I add a third LOR network.  I also have multiple E1.31 controllers all the time.  I run my show from a computer (a dedicated show computer from mid October through early January, and my file server the rest of the time).  In my opinion, you lose WAY too much capability running a director.

For example, I can remote into my show computer via TeamViewer or VNC and see what the computer is doing from anywhere in the world that has Internet access.  I can make show or schedule changes from anywhere.  I can edit a song and put the edited version into a show.  I have created sequences, created a show for those sequences, and scheduled them all from a remote location.  My computer can send me an E-Mail when a show starts or ends.  Lastly, for Christmas, I run MIIP which lets my viewers select which song to run next..  None of those can be done from a Director.

One thing I do like about the director, it's less of a concern having it on a wall in an unheated garage in New England.  It's run at near zero degrees.  I may take an older laptop and dedicate it to the show.  At this time it would have to be in the garage.

I run one network at this time.  If I add the Falcon, it will probably be two networks one LOR and one E1:31.

My standard advise about computers.  If you NEED a laptop, buy a laptop.  If you don't NEED a laptop, buy a desktop.  You will get far more computer for the money, and a desktop is FAR easier to upgrade or repair if needed.  Less likely to overheat when running 24x7 too.

Couple year old desktops are perfectly capable of running even a fairly large show and are almost give away items these days.

1 minute ago, k6ccc said:

My standard advise about computers.  If you NEED a laptop, buy a laptop.  If you don't NEED a laptop, buy a desktop.  You will get far more computer for the money, and a desktop is FAR easier to upgrade or repair if needed.  Less likely to overheat when running 24x7 too.

Couple year old desktops are perfectly capable of running even a fairly large show and are almost give away items these days.

I find I'm good with the laptop.  I tend to be on the front edge of things when I buy.

But which one would you park in an uninsulated garage?  The topic is actually the use of the director with the Falcon.  As a secondary part is the relative functionality of the director and the computer.  The differentiating factor for me being the uninsulated New England garage.

Scott

Edited by Sgmaitland
send before writing text

Why do you have to run it from the garage? I run my show from my home office and run the cables out a window using flat cat5 cables, the windows shut completely.

I have to figure on below freezing if not blizzard conditions. The blizzards don't usually hit until Jan, but sometimes they are early.  To prevent heat loss the windows must be able to close all the way. It's probably the same idea as July/Aug in your area, just reverse temperatures.  

I have an old laptop I may try.  It can run LOR.  

If you leave it running, it will not get too cold.

Still need to warm it up more? Run a BOINC task. (Not recommended for a Laptop as it will take (uses unused cycles) the CPU to 100% all the time. Kills smaller fans)

FWIW I was running on a P4. It added 100W to the PC idle consumption (that is 2.4KWH per DAY. Your bill will go up. But you might not need additional heat in the room 😛)

20 hours ago, TheDucks said:

If you leave it running, it will not get too cold.

Still need to warm it up more? Run a BOINC task. (Not recommended for a Laptop as it will take (uses unused cycles) the CPU to 100% all the time. Kills smaller fans)

FWIW I was running on a P4. It added 100W to the PC idle consumption (that is 2.4KWH per DAY. Your bill will go up. But you might not need additional heat in the room 😛)

I figure it won't take much to keep it warmer.  I'll probably put it in a box of some sort so captures the heat. Since the director has done what I need, I was hoping it would be able to send direction to the Falcon.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I use flat cat 5 cable and run it out the window.  I can close and latch my window just fine.  I do replace the cable every couple of years due to the pressure placed on the cable by closing the window.  It gets pretty cold here in Minnesota during the display season and this has proven to be a very effective solution.

I have sourced the cable from here:

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=flat+cat+5

25 minutes ago, basis21b said:

I use flat cat 5 cable and run it out the window.  I can close and latch my window just fine.  I do replace the cable every couple of years due to the pressure placed on the cable by closing the window.  It gets pretty cold here in Minnesota during the display season and this has proven to be a very effective solution.

I have sourced the cable from here:

https://www.monoprice.com/search/index?keyword=flat+cat+5

Thanks!