Light-O-Rama Forums

Split an ethernet signal?

Donl1150

This year for the first time I will be running both AC controllers and several Pixie controllers.  My PC has only 2 USB ports and I will be using one port for a black adapter for the ELL's that I use on the AC controllers and the other port for a red adapter for the Pixies.  My question is this:  can I somehow split the signal from the red adapter and run ethernet cable in two different directions to the various Pixies?  My layout is such that it will be difficult to daisy chain the Pixies.

It is not recommended to split RS 485 but some people claim to get away with it. I personally would not do it. Cat 5 cable is cheap and long runs of RS 485 are not a problem. The RS 485 standard will allow up to 4000 ft between devices.

By the way, it is only Ethernet cable when used for Ethernet networks. Confusing the terms might lead someone to use th network port on their PC for their LOR RS 485 network. This could let the magic blue smoke out.

DO NOT under any circumstances use an Ethernet switch for a LOR RS 485 network.

Edited by PhilMassey

1 hour ago, Donl1150 said:

This year for the first time I will be running both AC controllers and several Pixie controllers.  My PC has only 2 USB ports and I will be using one port for a black adapter for the ELL's that I use on the AC controllers and the other port for a red adapter for the Pixies.  My question is this:  can I somehow split the signal from the red adapter and run ethernet cable in two different directions to the various Pixies?  My layout is such that it will be difficult to daisy chain the Pixies.

No, don’t do it. I think we have discussed that before.

As Phil said “if you can’t daisy chain them then run single cables”. 

I can teach you how to run multiple networks easily. 

If you do it the correct way and need a red adapter I will send you one as a gift.

I have a few from 13 to 9 LOR networks this year. 

You only need a “powered USB Hub” not a splitter.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

Thanks guys.  My black adapter is the RS485 with Booster and the red adapter is the RS-485HS.  Since you just informed me I can go a couple !000 feet between units, I will figure out how to daisy chain everything from the red adapter using just the one cable.  The black adapter runs the AC things just fine using the ELL's.  No problem there.

Now waiting on supplies to build my second singing pixel face.  Have 10 songs sequenced so far using 3 AC faces + 1 pixel face.  Should be my best show ever!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...