Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect Rows - Custom Prop

Jeremiah Ackermann

For relatively large custom props, having the motion effect row editor be able to load a custom prop's background image would help with higher density props, especially when the props can share pixels between two different shapes (Ex: animated leg/arm/mouth).  The image could be toggled on/off or use a transparency option like the custom prop editor has. Being able to scale and use scrollbars would also help. So in a way, it could function just like the custom prop editor, but instead of putting in pixel number for a square, you are just allowed to select/deselect squares that have a pixel defined.

If this could only work when defining the default motion effect rows for a prop, it would still be a big win.

MotionEffectRowEditor.png

CustomPropLightPlacement.jpg

IMO it would be a valuable tool for some however It is much easier to sequence a dancing, strumming, drumming prop in normal rows. Not Sure what a motion effect would create with these types of props. I have a lot of them. The singers is all I use the ME rows for and that is for the outlines and my drummers drum.

For a dancer though I would find it to time consuming and as stated above which effects would look good for the arms, legs and head.? DO you have a video where you have sequenced one?

JR

No sequencing yet, just getting the prop put together right now. Not sure what you mean by normal rows, are you describing just AC lights? This was a prop originally designed for mini-lights but I desired pixels so I could switch out colors (Ex: switch to school colors for a school song I do at Halloween). I wouldn't use many of the motion effects, maybe bars and curtain, but its mostly done to get different colors.

There are times where I have desired to take a segment from a custom prop and try to treat it like it was a single line or path of pixels rather than a matrix to do line based motion effects (Ex: marquee or straight lines). So for example, have two or more colors following a path in a custom shape. It could act similar to how Photoshop's object selection tool works in the video below, but its doing more of a color chase. I have considered trying to create a line prop that shares the same pixels in the custom prop to try it, but haven't experimented with that yet.

Jeremiah Ackermann

You add the RGB rows in the grid view and sequence that way , I believe that would be the best and easiest way. Other wise you wont get the results you may be thinking. Chases between body parts would be best that way. IMO That is the only way i sequence my movers. Will attach a copy of my drummer. There is absolutely no easy way if you want them to look good. 

My bold button is stuck for some reason LOL

Fast forward to 1:26 where the drummer starts. I also have dancing elf and 2 guitars and a lot of singers in the show video.

Being able to overlay a picture would be great for those kind of props, For me Using motion effects rows to animate is a very good and easy way to animate a prop. Plus, it allows you to use all the Motion effects available for each separate animation piece If you choose. Here's what I do.  Once the prop is created and laid out into grid form for all the pixels. You can then add Motion effects rows specific to each animation part. Remember Effects rows don't have to have effects. They can just be a single color too. When you add an effect row there is a dropdown menu titled Subsection. This allows you to select between 3 choices. None (default), Rectangle and Custom. Choose Custom, Once you select custom the grid form of the entire prop to the right should set all the pixels to off by not be highlighted. Now using the pencil tool click on the squares that pertain to that animation part. The squares are the pixels, So if you want the first effect row to be a drummer with both arms up then just highlight these pixels for that movement, add another effects Row for both arms down and another for one arm up and one arm down. I find it better to have one row for just the part of the prop that have no motion and then one effects row for each different motion movement. By doing this I can keep a good motion effect on the non animated row and different effects on all the movement rows. while the animation is happening. once you have all your effects rows created, save everything and then create a test animation sequence and test it out. your prop will allow you to see all the motion effects rows you created. there you go start testing. It's that simple.