Light-O-Rama Forums

Motion Effect editor Request for the Hold effect.

Box on Rails

2021 Halloween and Christmas is going to be a completely new show for me. That has created a tremendous amount of sequence work for me. The Motion effects editor has lessened the work load for sure. There is one feature I like to use to end a section of music and that is the Fireworks effect with the effect set to "Once at the beginning". This exploding dissolve effect is awesome. but it is limited to Fireworks effect only. The thing I would request is that the Hold effect feature have some type of fading effects. Like Hold then melting effect where only the lights and colors lit by the hold can now be exploded or melted to the fade. Or a wind effect where the lights after holding can blow away in the wind.  In this current version about the only thing you can do is Hold then fade up or down. Sure you can overlay other effects I do that now with the fireworks effect but there is a big opportunity to improve the hold effect. Wind, explode, water wash, melt, flush, I sure my fellow users can come up with many more. So LOR add some effects to the Hold Motion Effect please. Thank you.

Have you tried the drag edge tool. It is the right hand icon in the nudge tools section in the toolbar. It has two modes depending upon where you hover the mouse. Extend and fade, denoted by an an angle cursor when you hover over the end of the effect. It's a bit tricky to hit the spot, but when you do, just drag.

1 hour ago, PhilMassey said:

Have you tried the drag edge tool. It is the right hand icon in the nudge tools section in the toolbar. It has two modes depending upon where you hover the mouse. Extend and fade, denoted by an an angle cursor when you hover over the end of the effect. It's a bit tricky to hit the spot, but when you do, just drag.

How will this cause a the hold effect to be manipulate other then with a few basic effects. Fade up or down, twinkle or strobe effects. Let me give you an example of what I want to do. I have a 50x48 matrix. I'm using a animated GIF Picture in the Picture effect of a Skeleton dancing. At a certain point I want it to Hold (stop) the animation which the hold feature does. all good so far.  The hold effect creates a snap shot effect so to speak freezing the animation. I want to be able to have that snap shot of only the lights that are lit (Skeleton) in the matrix be effected by an effect such as explosion, melting. zooming in or out, wind blowing all the lights out. These are the things I'm looking for. How does the drag edge tool create those effects?

57 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

How will this cause a the hold effect to be manipulate other then with a few basic effects. Fade up or down, twinkle or strobe effects. Let me give you an example of what I want to do. I have a 50x48 matrix. I'm using a animated GIF Picture in the Picture effect of a Skeleton dancing. At a certain point I want it to Hold (stop) the animation which the hold feature does. all good so far.  The hold effect creates a snap shot effect so to speak freezing the animation. I want to be able to have that snap shot of only the lights that are lit (Skeleton) in the matrix be effected by an effect such as explosion, melting. zooming in or out, wind blowing all the lights out. These are the things I'm looking for. How does the drag edge tool create those effects?

How about creating a group of those nodes only, if possible or custom prop layout of only those nodes?

JR

As I described, use the nudge fadeout tool to fade out the hold section. Just click the tool on in the toolbar, hover over the end of the hold and find the angle cursor, then drag.

18 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

How about creating a group of those nodes only, if possible or custom prop layout of only those nodes?

JR

JR  "only those nodes" is not really happening because those nodes will vary depending upon when I use the hold effect and to what effect is being held. In short the hold effect and only the remaining pixels lit in the hold effect is what I want to manipulate with new effect. Not overlay a new effect on top of the hold effect. I do use the overlay process quite often but that's not what I'm wanting. I want to be able to Manipulate the hold effect. If you use the hold effect you will see there is no editing capability at all in this effect. It just holds the lights in the last position they were in at the time of the hold. Just a simple little hold effect. I'm just looking for a way to edit what is held in the hold effect. seems pretty simple to me. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

As I described, use the nudge fadeout tool to fade out the hold section. Just click the tool on in the toolbar, hover over the end of the hold and find the angle cursor, then drag.

OK I got you. That's for a fade. I'm not looking for a fade, I want to take the Pixels that are left lit in the hold effect and then apply a new effect only onto those pixels. So if a skeleton is singing on my matrix and I hold it, I don't want to fade out the Skeleton with a fade effect. I want an effect that makes the skeleton appear to Melt down off of the Matrix. This kind of effect is what I'm looking for. something new, Melting would be one of the effects and maybe the skeleton could dissolve like dust in the wind blowing away to the left or right. the simple fade is just not enough for my complex mind. LOL. Thanks Phil

@Box on Rails I really like your ideas for enhancing the Hold effect! You can get a dissolve effect (or a dissolve + fade when combined with Phil's suggestion) by combining a Hold effect with a twinkle effect as shown in the attached picture.

Matt

Hold Dissolve.png

24 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

I really like your ideas for enhancing the Hold effect! You can get a dissolve effect (or a dissolve + fade when combined with Phil's suggestion) by combining a Hold effect with a twinkle effect as shown in the attached picture.

Matt

Now That's Cool.... I just tried these mix settings with the curtain effect and it did what I was wanting. only the pixels that were left lit ( the skull) in the hold effect was effected by the the curtain effect. lol  That's what I'm looking for with the existing effects. I still would like to see a melting type of effect or wind effect to a dissolve. I'm thinking more of like a Hold dissolve effect with a lot of editing capabilities. Maybe a blood effect for  Halloween that could look like you house is bleeding. I tried to do this with the meteor effect in red and it's pretty close. most of these effect I am thinking of would look cool on a matrix. I'm just looking for more control over my motion effects. Matt you are doing a great job keep it up and thanks for the tip. 

51 minutes ago, MattBrown said:

And here's another variation - dissolve from top down:

This just opened up a whole new set of tools for me. I'm not sure how this happened but Look at this. It's the Melting Skull.