Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixie 4 Not found

Raskins

Ok so I am trying to setup my Pixie 4, HU does not find it. I have tried cat5 cables, different adapters (Red), redownload software, tried both inputs on board, If I put a regular controller on HU finds it but if I daisy chain my Pixie 4 to it HU finds nothing. 

Put the pixie on the network by itself so you can set the ID. More then likely the HU sees the first controller and when you add the pixie it has the same ID as the first controller.

Mr P might have it! LOR ships everything with ID 01.

Gen 2 Pixies have switches, so you could just set them to a vacant ID Cluster (the Pixie needs 4 contiguous open ID's. As a Pro user, you have no limit on which ID. I use 2x , and 3x for my pixies) OR you can turn them all OFF and use HU while the pixie is the only thing connected.

But first: Is the red led on the Pixie blinking slow or steady? (if it is not on or fast, you need to get that settled first)

Pixie on network by it self is not found. Red lite is blinking steady. does not go solid on at all.

Going back to your original post: Daisy chain KILLS finding the other controller? Is its ID 01?

20 minutes ago, Raskins said:

Pixie on network by it self is not found. Red lite is blinking steady. does not go solid on at all.

You did not answer the Is it a GEN2 (screw power IN terminals).

Have you tried a RESET (P35 of the users guide) procedure?

Do you gave a string of pixels that you can connect? Try the self test, they should sequence if the board has other issues.

Is the chip IC2 (near the RJ45 jacks) in its socket (and pointed the correct way. dot or notch to edge of board)

Yes Gen 2, Dip switches set to all off,Tried different settings, Yes reset/Test button but on p31 , Chip in properly, Pixels will go through test when button is pushed.

36 minutes ago, Raskins said:

Yes Gen 2, Dip switches set to all off,Tried different settings, Yes reset/Test button but on p31 , Chip in properly, Pixels will go through test when button is pushed.

If the same CAT cable worked with the other controller, then I suspect a bad IC2 chip or jack.

HU will work with the old Black adapter. It is the show that needs speed.

I was looking at the IC2 chip on the back side of the circuit board you have 8 solder joints but 2 are bridged. Is this normal for a Pixie 4?

1 hour ago, Raskins said:

I was looking at the IC2 chip on the back side of the circuit board you have 8 solder joints but 2 are bridged. Is this normal for a Pixie 4?

I can't see any of mine as they are mounted in their case (CG2500). I have 1 Gen2 and 2 Gen 1

That is the RS485 driver, so having common connections would seem normal (an it would not have passed tests if it was a solder bridge).

Open a trouble ticket while things are slow

Up date to the lasted firmware!

Should solve yoir problem unless yoi accidentally connected it to your computer without an adapter.

Also if your pixie does not have the jumper on JP2 (in front of the data port” you will have no data down stream from it.

The black jumper is included in the plastic bag that was inside the box with fuses and screwdriver.

If by chance you received the sheet of paper with the controller that instructed you to put the jumper in a different location - remove that jumper and put in JP2.

Some pixies come with instructions , those instructions are to set some parameters that most people will never need.

DO NOT mess with the coM chip, it is very easy to destroy. 

JR

Edited by dibblejr

If you still can’t get it you are welcome to send it to me and I will test and if needed repair it for free.

I do this all the time and my turn around is next day LOL.

Just repaired one the other day. I may know just a little about pixie controllers.

PM me if you need help. Perhaps you can call me and I will have you do some tests and ask the right questions.

JR

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all that helped to diagnose my problems with the Pixie. It was the solder bridge that caused all the problems.

21 hours ago, Raskins said:

Thank you all that helped to diagnose my problems with the Pixie. It was the solder bridge that caused all the problems.

That is the comm chip.

Did you send it back for repair or just reflow the solder?

JR