Light-O-Rama Forums

Win 10 Tablet computer S5

Marty Spain

Personally I would recommend against using a tablet to run a show.  My personal STRONG recommendation is a desktop PC.  Couple reasons.  Far more computer for the money, and far easier to either upgrade or replace failed parts.  Laptops and I would suspect tablets are not as well suited to extended operation (heat).

With that said, would it work?  I assume so.  You would need at the very least an appropriate USB adapter since no tablet is going to have the right USB connector.

About the only advantage that a laptop or even more so a tablet is that the power consumption is generally lower.  For some select situations (a battery powered show comes to mind) that is an advantage, but generally it's a minor issue.  Let's face it, if you're running 10K lights (especially if incan), are you really worried about the PC power?

Thanks for your response. I guess I worded what I want to do a little unclear, my fault! I use a dedicated desktop for my shows in my garage. What I want to do is use another device such as a tablet or my phone to be able to control on and off functions while I am in the yard  either via through my desktop remotely. 

Edited by Marty Spain

I use my Android phone with TightVNC to remotely control LOR on my desktop in the basement.

https://www.tightvnc.com/

VNC is installed on the desktop and the Remote client on the phone is called Remote Ripple. Search the Play store for the Android version.

https://remoteripple.com/

Teamviewer free probably works too but I haven't used it lately.

I also use Bob's MIIP to run my shows, and a side benefit is being able to quickly select sequences from the yard to test them

Yes, that does change the question a lot.  As Phil said, using a laptop, tablet or even a phone to control your show computer via remote software is easy.  I have used a laptop and my phone via both VNC and TeamViewer to remote into my show computer from the front yard, my family room, or in some cases from other locations.  In fact, almost universally, I remotely access my show computer remotely.  It's out in my data cabinet in my garage, and if I need to do something on it, I use TeamViewer from my family room PC rather than walk out to the garage and open up the data cabinet.  One of the things that works very well for that is tweeking colors on RGB.  If you have ever run RGB with any "custom" color, you know that adjusting the levels to get exactly the color that you want can take some effort.  It is FAR easier when you can sit in the front yard with a laptop on a TV tray watching the actual lights while they are mounted the way they will be used during the show (yes, that part is important) and adjust levels in the hardware utility to get the exact color that you want.

TeamViewer and VNC each have advantages and disadvantages and there are times that I use both.  However the response time on TeamViewer is better and TV will carry sound while VNC does not.

And also like Phil, I use MIIP which also gives remote capability for testing.

1 hour ago, Marty Spain said:

Thanks for your response. I guess I worded what I want to do a little unclear, my fault! I use a dedicated desktop for my shows in my garage. What I want to do is use another device such as a tablet or my phone to be able to control on and off functions while I am in the yard  either via through my desktop remotely. 

If your Show PC has Windows Pro, remote desktop Connection is standard AND the client is FREE for Android (it is in the store)

What I like about the VNC solution is both screens can stay active (but it is less secure). Also perfect for getting remote help, where the remote can watch for what you are doing wrong and take over (or just set things  back). "Let me drive for a bit"

Remote desktop does NOT work well for our purpose because the remote session and the local session don't play well together.  What I mean by that is for example your show computer is sitting there waiting for your show to start and you need to remote in to test something in the hardware utility.  You remote in, and can't run the HU because the show player is using the comm ports.  Now the HU does have the ability to ask the Comm Listener to stop using the ports, so now you can do your testing, but there is no way to tell the comm listener to resume normal operation.

TeamViewer and VNC work far better for our purposes  TeamViewer is free for personal use.  I don't know if there are free VNC servers anymore (used to be, but the ones I know of no longer are free).

Thanks everyone! I like the idea of not having to go into the garage to control the computer. You mention Pixels color corrections and such. I started using them last season, and this would be a valuable tool to see them up close! I will check out TV.

If you end up with any questions about TeamViewer, feel free to ask.  I will point out that the free version does include nags to buy it, but you don't have to buy it and it is fully functional without purchasing.  I will also point out that if you use the free version a lot, they might flag your computer as possible commercial operation.  There is a process to remove that flag.  Because I use it a lot, I think almost every computer I use TeamViewer on has eventually gotten flagged as possible commercial use.  Each one went through the process successfully.  After I think the third one, I wrote on the non-commercial form, the TeamViewer ID for every computer I have it installed on requesting that all be locked non-commercial.  Never had a problem since.

I am glad you brought this up. I was not sure what to do about the regisyration part of the free version. 

7 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Remote desktop does NOT work well for our purpose because the remote session and the local session don't play well together.  What I mean by that is for example your show computer is sitting there waiting for your show to start and you need to remote in to test something in the hardware utility.  You remote in, and can't run the HU because the show player is using the comm ports.  Now the HU does have the ability to ask the Comm Listener to stop using the ports, so now you can do your testing, but there is no way to tell the comm listener to resume normal operation.

TeamViewer and VNC work far better for our purposes  TeamViewer is free for personal use.  I don't know if there are free VNC servers anymore (used to be, but the ones I know of no longer are free).

TightVNC is still free.

But it does not have the highest level security, so best if you isolate the server/clients network and not open a pinhole in your routers firewall