Light-O-Rama Forums

Intensity Discussion

BluMan

I've seen several people talk about running their pixels at x% intensity.  Are you using the intensity option on the effect itself or are you going into the prop and setting the "Pixel curve" or "Linear curve" on each port?

How exactly are you doing the reduction of a pixel's intensity....I've always been running them at default, which might be 100% I don't know.

Thanks for any information!

With S5 which is a life saver for a heavy pixie controller user I set it up in the prop def. Nevr have to worry about it again.

In S4 it was in the sequence for pixie controllers and I found it problematic to say the least so I just ran 100%.

I now run all of my pixel controllers at either 30% and 1 at 20% with S5.

JR

2 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

With S5 which is a life saver for a heavy pixie controller user I set it up in the prop def. Nevr have to worry about it again.

So, just so I'm clear in my head.  You are doing a dimming curve of "pixel curve 30%" correct? Or is there something else that I'm missing.

Thanks for your response.

Guess I should have read the help file:

• Use the Linear Curves for traditional lights. The percentage at the end of the curve name indicates the maximum brightness.
  • Use the Pixel Curves for RGB pixels. The percentage at the end of the curve name indicates the maximum brightness.
  • Use the Strobe Curve for strobes. It will prevent intermediate values (e.g. 50%) from reaching the string.

I wish you could set the intensity on groups since I have a 24 x50 matrix and to change the intensity as a whole, it's 24 of the same motions...the group (text in blue) doesn't seem to have the ability to set intensities.

Edited by BluMan

It depends on what hardware and software you are running.  If I reduce intensity of pixels, I do it in the settings of the pixel controllers.  However both the SanDevices and Falcon controllers that I use allow that - some do not.

If the controller does not allow changing the intensity, then you can set intensity dimming curves in software (depending on software version and the hardware support).

What you DO NOT want to do is to adjust your sequencing.  The reason is that if you do, you have to change every single sequence.  Think about it this way.  You set up your new pixel matrix and it's WAY TOO BRIGHT.  So you spend 50 hours changing every sequence to make it 50% of what it was, only to find out that even that is too bright.  So you spend another 50 hours resequencing again to bring it down to 25%.  If the controller allows setting the intensity in the controller, it takes anywhere from a few seconds to a couple minutes to make the same change - and it's easy to do.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

It depends on what hardware and software you are running.  If I reduce intensity of pixels, I do it in the settings of the pixel controllers.  However both the SanDevices and Falcon controllers that I use allow that - some do not.

Oh!  I did not think of that.  All my pixel controllers are Pixcon16's so I'm sure they have the ability in Hardware.  I'll have to check that out.  Thanks!

BluMan  I believe what you are using is the HU.

If you use S5 use the prop def if you want it to stay consistent no matter what. When adding a prop you can find that setting in the top left hand corner of prop def. Use the arrow down for intensity.

As we both said, using a sequence is problematic and time killing.

JR 

1 minute ago, dibblejr said:

BluMan  I believe what you are using is the HU.

If you use S5 use the prop def if you want it to stay consistent no matter what. When adding a prop you can find that setting in the top left hand corner of prop def. Use the arrow down for intensity.

As we both said, using a sequence is problematic and time killing.

JR 

Yes, I agree doing it globally is a much better idea than at the sequence level.  I am using S5 (started using it this year) so I wanted to make sure I understood where the change was being made.  At the prop level or in the HU are both global so I'm guessing either one would get the job done.

100% baby, put on my sunglasses and tanning lotion and light em up. Then I waive the aircraft off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. P said:

100% baby, put on my sunglasses and tanning lotion and light em up. Then I waive the aircraft off.

Right!

I can't do (lack of artistic skill) fancy, so I do BRIGHT 👍 😈

1 hour ago, TheDucks said:

I can't do (lack of artistic skill) fancy, so I do BRIGHT 👍 😈

I like it!

I run everything at 50% but mainly because I have some fairly long runs and a few props have several pixels per port. Too many pixels per port and too long of runs can cause flicker (data issues) and usually reducing intensity can help with some of the flicker.

I also do it in the prop definition in s5.   I find that adjusting it not only has an impact on brightness but also on color.  Too bright and light blue becomes white as far as most people are concerned, but too low and orange becomes burnt orange.   

I like to use the pixie controllers that do not have the option on the controller itself so this is the only option for me.     For different controller and lights, I run from 30-50% pixel curve. 

I used the 30% pixel and linear curves (depending on device) last year via prop definitions and still people were astounded that it was as bright as it was.  Running at 30% gave me a better chance of videoing the show.