Light-O-Rama Forums

Hey you guys with kids, have a question...

bdwillie

We have been befriended by a neighbor's 10 year old.  Comes over and spends several hours every day while the parental units are at work. They call back and forth several times a day so they know he is ok and he has permission to be at our place.  Wife and I were not able to have kids, so I am out of my league here.  He seems to want to help with things and asks a gazillion questions!  Seems like an intelligent little fella.  The questions

Is 10 years old, almost 11, to young to help build props and things (being heavily supervised of course).

Does a 10 year old bean pole type kid really eat everything in sight? LOL!  He is an eating machine!

• Like 1

I do have kids now 13 & 10.   No they dont eat everything. I say they pretend to eat then ask for dessert.   Just yesterday one said she didnt like the dinner served and my wife let her eat sugar cereal instead!  Same sweet tooth asks for FroYo every time we drive by it.

My kids dont care.  But there have been several who were very interested in sequencing and having their own shows.  I sold one an old controller and sent all the links to software.  He did a very nice 3 song show.    Another kid helped me carry and plant a bunch of props.  He was very proud to be allowed to help!

My children grow up in my motorcycle shop from age 9 - and they are now engineers...

Never to young and from people I have been blessed to help and speak with on the phone never to old or broken. I spoken with a gentleman who has at least 2 different  types of cancer and the list could go on.

My boys are young and my oldest has S5 on his laptop and wants to learn "coding" no better place to start.

JR

• Like 1

Even my kids.... 2 and 4. LOVE going to daddy’s shop.... my little girl (4) spent the night with her Mimi the night before Last.... she called me that night and said, “Daddy, when I wake up, I want you to come pick me up. Then, I wanna go play in your shop while you work on your car, and and and and I can help you again if you want.”

No she isn’t 10, lol but I don’t think that matters. They all wanna learn something right now..

make it fun. And give them something that they can do!. 

As far as the eating goes....both of my kids are always hungry. it doesn’t matter... you are going to have to throw in some healthy snacks for them in your grocery list... if not, they will honey bun, nutty bar, and PB&J themselves to death! 

Edited by weigh2fast4u@yahoo.com
Typo

I had a kid come up to me years ago when he was 14 and asked if it would be alright to scare people at my Halloween show. I told him fine as long as he leaves the little ones alone. After that show he helped me take it down and has been helping me with the Halloween and Christmas show setups every year since. He is now 22 and it is nice have a young person doing all the heavy and climbing stuff for me. He is like part of the family now.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

A little update, He (we) put lights on 6 wireframe tree props!  At first we was kind of uninterested, but as we finished the second one he really started to get interested.  These 6 trees will be grouped together on one side of the display and I will be making a "Dayton's Forrest" sign.  By the time we finished the last one, he was wanting to know when we will be putting up the display!

Thanks again for all the input! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bdwillie said:

A little update, He (we) put lights on 6 wireframe tree props!  At first we was kind of uninterested, but as we finished the second one he really started to get interested.  These 6 trees will be grouped together on one side of the display and I will be making a "Dayton's Forrest" sign.  By the time we finished the last one, he was wanting to know when we will be putting up the display!

Thanks again for all the input! 

Tell him tomorrow. Set them up and enjoy.

JR

• Like 1

• The topic was locked