Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it just me or ......

Donl1150

For singing faces best to use ME rows for the mouth movements and eyes

Use ME or regular rows for the outline.  If yoi know the node numbers- this will allow you to make a chase with the outline if you ever want to.

Sometimes I will use my outlines and toppers as their own prop esp for New  Years mashups with very little if any singing.

New Years is the only holiday I may use a song without lyrics.

JR

JR, since I am just now getting my face to work using S5, I am still trying to learn the new terminology that it uses.  I assume "ME" means Motion Effect?

4 hours ago, Donl1150 said:

JR, since I am just now getting my face to work using S5, I am still trying to learn the new terminology that it uses.  I assume "ME" means Motion Effect?

Yes. That way you don’t have to copy paste an entire string.

Just one row for the mouths.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

JR, Starting to see if I can get the network running.  I have the Red adapter connected to the computer and the Pixie16.  The sequence runs perfectly on the hanging bulb prop & the preview.  I have two ELL's plugged in.  One in the Pixie16 port and one in an AC controller port.  When I run the HU, it finds only the Pixie 16.  Is this the way to connect the Pixie into the display?  Or do I have to hardwire the AC units and daisy chain them?  I would prefer to use the ELL's on the AC units for convenience.

14 minutes ago, Donl1150 said:

JR, Starting to see if I can get the network running.  I have the Red adapter connected to the computer and the Pixie16.  The sequence runs perfectly on the hanging bulb prop & the preview.  I have two ELL's plugged in.  One in the Pixie16 port and one in an AC controller port.  When I run the HU, it finds only the Pixie 16.  Is this the way to connect the Pixie into the display?  Or do I have to hardwire the AC units and daisy chain them?  I would prefer to use the ELL's on the AC units for convenience.

You need to Hardwire the PIXIE. You can have a SLOW  network for the ELL with/AC as a second network

I have hardwired the Pixie to the computer with the red adapter.  That all works good.  Don't know how to set up the second network with the black slow adapter.  Do I need to use 2 USB ports on the computer?

ELLs and Pixie controllers can not exist on the same network.  ELLs max out at 115K speed and can't handle Enhanced LOR networking - Pixies pretty much require 500K or 1000K Enhanced LOR networking.

So yes, a red USB to RS-485 adapter on the network that will have the Pixie and you can use a second USB to RS-485 adapter (either red or black) for the second network that will have the ELLs.

Setting up two LOR networks is easy.  If you have questions, feel free to ask.

Ok thks.   Have to dig out my black adapter and see if I can set up the slow network.    Will ask if I get stuck.  

That didn't take long!  Stuck.  I have the black adapter in one USB port and the red adapter in the other USB port.  Only have 2 on my machine.  I run Auto Config in the HU and it finds 2 active Comm ports.....3 and 4.  Then I run Refresh and it only finds the Pixie on Comm 4 & nothing on Comm 3 where the ELL is attached.  

What next?

Are there any controllers on Comm 3 or only the ELLs?  It's been a while since I have played with an ELL, but as I recall,  when on a network that has at least one ELL, there will be an icon for ELL at the bottom of the main HU page after the refresh.  Without looking at it, IK can't give you more detail.  As far as the refresh, it will only communicate with one serial port at a time.  So if Comm 3 is selected, it should only find the devices on Comm 3, and if Comm 4 is selected, it will only find the devices on Comm 4.

BTW, my opinion, is Auto Config should be avoided UNLESS you are running a simple network configuration (which you no longer are).  If there are more than a single LOR network, it can screw things up.  Just my opinion.

Right now there is only an ELL connected to comm3 and another ELL connected to an AC controller.  The goal is to have 4 AC controllers via ELL daisy chained to the first one.  That is always the way it has worked for me.   Now I am adding the Pixie via com4.

When I manually select comm3 as the port, then hit Refresh, it does not find the AC controller.  I plug the red adapter in to the USB port, hit auto config and it finds comm 4 and asks if I want that port.  I say Yes and it changes to omm 4.  I then hit Refresh and it finds the Pixie unit only, no AC unit.

Don't use Auto config.  Leave both USB to RS-485 adapters plugged in all the time.  Just select the desired comm port and hit refresh.  If it is not seeing the AC controller that is at the other end of the ELL link, can you bring that into where ever the PC is so you can eliminate the ELL as a potential issue.

Just thought of this.  If you only have the USB adapter connected to a ELL, there is no power to the ELL.  ELLs get power from the nearest controller or the booster version of the USB adapter.

58 minutes ago, Donl1150 said:

That didn't take long!  Stuck.  I have the black adapter in one USB port and the red adapter in the other USB port.  Only have 2 on my machine.  I run Auto Config in the HU and it finds 2 active Comm ports.....3 and 4.  Then I run Refresh and it only finds the Pixie on Comm 4 & nothing on Comm 3 where the ELL is attached.  

What next?

Each controller needs to be assigned to the Network it is attached to. In 4.x there is the Network Utility, where you set the speed to use for each network name (You will have Regular and Aux A) It does not matter which name is what, as long as you attach the proper controllers (your PC will normally use the same COM ports upon next connection) 💡 When you get more than 1 adapter of the same type, write the Net Nam one it.  💡💡 do not ANSWER 'Yes" to the question USE FOR SHOW once set. This makes the selected COM to Regular and can mess up your existing sequences.

Someone who use 5.x will have to tell you how to change the Network name (that is all that needs to be done. The ID need not change) for EACH sequence.  NB In 4.x SE there is Tools:channel configuration. You set the network for each ID (and it needs you to do it 16 times , once for each pixie16 port even though you CAN't run a pixie split)

Network Preferences in S5 is identical to Network Preferences in S4.

I always tell everyone

”never , ever hit the panic button”

Auto Config comm port 

it’s also one of the first subjects on my pixie configuration classes.

JR

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, k6ccc said:

So yes, a red USB to RS-485 adapter on the network that will have the Pixie and you can use a second USB to RS-485 adapter (either red or black) for the second network that will have the ELLs.

On 5/24/2021 at 11:11 AM, k6ccc said:

Just thought of this.  If you only have the USB adapter connected to a ELL, there is no power to the ELL.  ELLs get power from the nearest controller or the booster version of the USB adapter.

To rephrase, if you are connecting from a USB port to an ELL only, you must use a USB adapter with booster, such as the USB485B or the USB485-ISO. Neither the USB485 or the USB485-HS will power an ELL. To verify that your ELL is getting power, remove the cover, plug it in, and check the LED status lights on the ELL circuit board.

OK I have an update for everyone that has helped me getting this going.  I have successfully converted my entire 2020 show to the S5 format.  Plus I have added my new prop (Hanging pixel light bulb) to each sequence.  I have incorporated its singing face nicely into each song and am getting a good feel for using S5.  Looks like I will use it from now on.

So now I have created a Show using the Hub with all of the updated sequences.  Now I want to see the show in its entirety in the Previewer so I will simply have to hook everything up in the yard once the time comes.  (I am a little ahead of schedule!).  In S4, that could be done by plugging in the USB adapter even though no lights were connected yet.  Then open the Control Panel and do a Show on Demand.  Worked perfectly.  Since I will have both AC & Pixie controllers now, I have plugged in both the black and red adapters thinking that would work the same.

Well I can hear the audio properly but can't find how to get the viewer to turn on so I can see it.  Can you steer me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sounds like you have made great progress!  Congratulations!

There is no way unfortunately to watch the entire show (real time or off-line) from start to finish like you could with the Visualizer in S3 & S4.  That has been requested many times.  You can of course watch each sequence in the S5 Sequencer.

Edited by k6ccc

Oh man......that is a real bummer!  Seems like that would be something at the top of their list to incorporate into a new package like this.  Have you any feedback whether or not they are considering it?