Flakey network connections

Gerry Raymond

I have an issue with a few of my boxes (I have 11...1602W pre-built). I know for a fact that one of the boxes has a loose network connection (if I wiggle the black network cable box physically connected to the board, I get a solid LED. when the connection loses its position, I go back to a blinking LED).

I want to fix this, but I am too afraid to do so without asking first. Is it ok to do the following:

1. physically remove the board from the box

2. supply power to the box, attach my network cable, and jiggle the position of the black box until I get a solid LED

3. solder the connection into place so as not to lose the network connection.

If this is not the proper way to fix this issue, then I am absolutely open to suggestions. Christmas is too close to run into these kinds of frustrations, especially since I have my yard laid out and ready to go.

Thank you in advance for any pointers/help you can provide.

I would recommend that you remove the board. You will need to remove the heatsinks. Then just reflow the solder. IF you have a means of removing the present solder then I would remove it. The sockets also have plastic feet that should snap in the board. It is likely that these feet did not get seated properly before the pins were soldered.

This is how I would recommend to remedy.

OR you could contact support@lightorama.com and let them know. There have been instances where LOR has crossshipped to keep or get people up and running.

Chuck

I would recommend and suggest, NOT to plug the board in, you could hit a component that contains high voltage and either hurt the board or yourself. The heatsink should surround the board and be connected by screws to disipate the heat off the triacs when they are severely loaded. If you aren't sure and this sounds like a showtime board/package I would recommend contacting LOR about the issue.

Gerry Raymond wrote:

When it comes to electronics hardware, I have very little idea what I am doing.

In this case I would contact LOR and let them know what you have.

I cannot speak for them, but I have never had a problem with getting replacement items when needed.

Chuck