Light-O-Rama Forums

2021 Spring Mad Grab How Long Did It Last?

ItsMeBobO

15 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

It's slow this  year.  12 minutes into the sale and nothing is sold out yet...

I was having items removed from my cart within minutes of the start, being marked no longer available.  I lost out on Pixie8s and 16s, and easy light linkers because of the PayPal issue.  My first checkout attempt was probably 90 seconds after the start.  :(

11 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This is new behaviour.   Not clear it is intentional or not.    Sadly I can not track when items are sold out if it requires selecting the item to put in the cart to tell if it is sold out. 

SoldOutOnCartPage.jpg

:(

Darn, it was my favorite part of the sales

I did call it on the trees being sold out first.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

11 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

This is new behaviour.   Not clear it is intentional or not.    Sadly I can not track when items are sold out if it requires selecting the item to put in the cart to tell if it is sold out. 

SoldOutOnCartPage.jpg

That sucks!

25 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

I also tried a good 30+ times to use my credit card, getting the same error about communicating w/Paypal.  I watched as item after item was removed from my cart because it said they were no longer available and I could not get checkout to complete.  With one item left in my cart, I tried using my PayPal account instead of my credit card and it worked.  So I got one item (an N4-G4-MP3 director).  Disappointed in Leesburg.  Next year straight to PayPal.

I feel a little bit better that it wasn't just me....

Luckily I logged into my paypal prior to 9pm in another tab so luckily right at 9pm on the dot I clicked add to cart on the pixel tree 16x50 then clicked checkout, selected paypal and clicked pay now after selecting shipping option. Confirmation email hit at 9:01 timestamp. I knew it was going to sell out fast so I must have refreshed a hundred times starting at 8:55. They had a similar glitch last year so this year I wasnt taking any chances,

I got the PayPal error message a couple of times and finally actually had to pay with PayPal to complete the transaction.

I was going to buy a pixielink until I saw $22 shipping.  $22 for something that may weigh 6 ozs. Looks like they are making up the differences on shipping.  

3 hours ago, Eaglesclaw said:

I was going to buy a pixielink until I saw $22 shipping.  $22 for something that may weigh 6 ozs. Looks like they are making up the differences on shipping.  

That's not how we work.  Please search for other messages from me that talk about the shipping charges.

Bummer experience too.  Wanted to buy 3 singing tress, had them in my cart in under a 1 minute, tried to check out and poof they were not available.  I had a feeling this was going to be the case, because I went onto the the regular LOR site about 5:30 pm (8:30 ET) and they were listed as sold out except one. Did get an extra controller that I needed.  I hope they have the Singing Trees in stock for the next sale or at the Christmas Expo. 

1 hour ago, jmraider said:

Bummer experience too.  Wanted to buy 3 singing tress, had them in my cart in under a 1 minute, tried to check out and poof they were not available.  I had a feeling this was going to be the case, because I went onto the the regular LOR site about 5:30 pm (8:30 ET) and they were listed as sold out except one. Did get an extra controller that I needed.  I hope they have the Singing Trees in stock for the next sale or at the Christmas Expo. 

Due to logistics normally LOR doesn’t take stuff to sell to the Expo. They normally put info out about new projects and You get a chance to meet some of the folks in the company.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

23 hours ago, DevMike said:

That's not how we work.  Please search for other messages from me that talk about the shipping charges.

Mike could you repost the message or find the link to LOR shipping charges?  I tried a bunch of searches and didn't find it.    

23 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Mike could you repost the message or find the link to LOR shipping charges?  I tried a bunch of searches and didn't find it.    

You are right.  I could not find anything in the last couple of months, and I could have sworn I just posted something recently.  Oh well.  I pretty much have it memorized anyway:

With the exception of a small charge for packing supplies, typically $2-$3 or less, we charge the actual shipping rate billed to us by UPS.  We do NOT mark up shipping prices.

UPS (actually ALL shipping companies) first lb rates are very high, with each additional lb much much lower.  Also factor in that UPS has surcharges for residential delivery, fuel costs, and oversize packages which are hidden.  

Where possible, for light weight items (like USB adapters, small parts and the like), we can sometimes ship with USPS flat rate for a lower cost.  If we do, we will refund the difference in shipping cost to you.  You can also request that we ship small things USPS on your order with a comment.  (FYI:  UPS is cheaper for anything 2lbs or over, or for items larger than the USPS small flat rate box regardless of weight.  Note that if you request a particular shipping method we will probably send it that way and if more expensive charge you the difference).

We also do what we can when designing products to minimize shipping charges.  For example, our singing faces are on the very edge of a huge surcharge for oversized packages.  We redesigned them along with our shipping methods and packaging to make the shipping on those as inexpensive as possible.  

If we happen to catch multiple unshipped orders from the same person, many times we will combine the shipments ourselves and refund the difference to you.  You can also open a help desk ticket (please include all order numbers) and we can do our best to find and combine the orders.  We can't guarantee, even with a ticket and especially during sales, that we can catch the orders but we will give it our best effort.

Shipping costs do not change for sales.  What you pay to ship in a sale is what you would pay if you purchased the items at regular prices.

Our aim with shipping is to be 100% cost neutral.  We think it is dishonest to make money on shipping.  We know that adding shipping costs into items and then advertising 'free shipping' can actually cost you MORE money - so we don't do that.  Conversely we also don't believe in losing money on shipping and won't ever use it as a 'loss leader'.

Too bad this delivery charge topic is not a stand alone thread.  

I am pasting in the before and after shipping charges for the PixieLink.   Recall the madgrab cart said ~$22 shipping. 

I had placed a separate order which showed  Shipping  44.22.   The final shipping was  44.22 after the PixieLink order was combined for zero additional shipping.    

This example does not show what the shipping would have been if I had not placed another order at the same time.  But it clearly shows a post submit change in my favor for the small item. 

Night of sale

Name                    Code                    Qty    Each  Options
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PixieLink sACN Adapter  21Spring-PixieLink        1  109.95
                                            Subtotal  109.95
                                            Shipping  21.93           <-- Order confirmation shipping
                                                Tax    0.00
                                              Total  131.88

Shipping notice

Name                    Code                    Qty    Each  Options
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
PixieLink sACN Adapter  21Spring-PixieLink        1  109.95 (Shipped)
                                            Subtotal  109.95
                                            Shipping    0.00            <-- Shipping notice shipping
                                                Tax    0.00
                                              Total  109.95

This completes your order. Thank you for shopping with us.

Just adding my 2 cents on shipping, i would say that the majority of times I have seen shipping charges negatively mentioned was for small things, like the dongles, which I think most people expect can be shipped using means like USPS for less. As you note, its about a $25 minimum so buying just 1 thing can be pricey but for me buying several different things at during the sale, it only went up to $36 which was very reasonable.    Noting somewhere on the shipping info that you can request USPS for small things, might be good.

Edited by TexasLights

On 4/30/2021 at 9:54 AM, ItsMeBobO said:

I am pasting in the before and after shipping charges for the PixieLink.   Recall the madgrab cart said ~$22 shipping. 

I had placed a separate order which showed  Shipping  44.22.   The final shipping was  44.22 after the PixieLink order was combined for zero additional shipping.    

This example does not show what the shipping would have been if I had not placed another order at the same time.  But it clearly shows a post submit change in my favor for the small item. 

I'm not up in the factory, but I am pretty sure I know what happened:

We saw that you had 2 orders, and combined the two to save you some money.  Pixielinks are light, and either did not increase your package weight to the next LB, OR most likely we just ate the extra shipping charge for the next lb because it would have cost us more money to try to collect a few bucks.  Since we combined them, we changed the shipping cost to $0 on that second order.

In a nutshell - our job is not to make shipping companies money.  We try very hard to reduce the amount they make on every order and thus save you money.  We also agree that first lb rates are obscene, but until we have the LOR Teleportation device we are all stuck.

but until we have the LOR Teleportation device we are all stuck.

Doss that mean you're working on one? Just asking.

For a friend.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked