Light-O-Rama Forums

Animator vs Visualizer

Donl1150

I am wondering if there is a tutorial somewhere that explains how to use the old Animator function.  I have always used the Visualizer but I have sequence that was built using the Animator and I would like to know how to use it.  Anyone know if there is something out there?  The Help function gives me some insight but I am having trouble actually trying to make some changes to it.

I haven't used S4 in over 2 years, and it must be close to ten years since I used the Animator, so I can't remember much of the detail. However here is the 4.4.0 help file and on pages 212 and 433 are the sections on the Animator.  Not sure if that is where you looked but you may find some info there.

I do recall that there is a "filmstrip" icon in the toolbar to open the Animator window. If I remember, correctly the info for the Animator is coded into the Sequence file so it should come along with it if present at all. 

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/4.4.0/LORHelp.pdf

There isn't really a tutorial that I'm aware of.

In short, it's one channel/fixture per dot/pixel in the animation screen. If you have 4 different LED colors on a bush/tree, you are going to have 4 dots.

I forget if it even handles RGB correctly or not.

Personally? I wouldn't focus on the Animation window. I'd focus my time/energy on S5 and the built in Preview. Back when I started (2004/05) that was all we had, and my first animations were nothing more than dots on the screen. The Visualizer (s4) and Preview (s5) are light years ahead (bad pun) of the Animation window. Strongly recommend learning those.  (And s5 in particular)

I can teach you how to use it. It’s very simple.

The key is your channel Config.

The good about the animator is, if you have a prop with over 50 pixels they will work.

The vis is limited to 50 pixels on a port.

PM me if you would like the help.

JR

9 hours ago, Don said:

There isn't really a tutorial that I'm aware of.

In short, it's one channel/fixture per dot/pixel in the animation screen. If you have 4 different LED colors on a bush/tree, you are going to have 4 dots.

I forget if it even handles RGB correctly or not.

Personally? I wouldn't focus on the Animation window. I'd focus my time/energy on S5 and the built in Preview. Back when I started (2004/05) that was all we had, and my first animations were nothing more than dots on the screen. The Visualizer (s4) and Preview (s5) are light years ahead (bad pun) of the Animation window. Strongly recommend learning those.  (And s5 in particular)

Don, I use the animator for sequencing my faces in S4 for the sole reason, the Vis is a little laggy when needing to review a very short segment and the extra steps to open it. 

I was always a Vis fan for Everything else though.

But S5 ricks the best of both.

JR

All the S4 face sequences I share have an animation.    Its there and works and makes it easier than sending the Viz file along too.     Usually no reason to change it or make anything new with it. 

Edited by ItsMeBobO

Thanks everyone.   Not a big deal if there isn’t much out there to help.   But what I really would like to figure out is how to get this sequence/prop into my existing show that has 4 AC controllers with 3 singing faces.   The new prop I am referring to is a 200 pixel singing face driven by a Pixie 16. So I guess where I am stumped is how to add a Pixie 16 to my existing AC controller system.   I have the red adapter and I know it needs its own network.  This is my first time using pixels.  

On 4/18/2021 at 3:11 PM, Donl1150 said:

Thanks everyone.   Not a big deal if there isn’t much out there to help.   But what I really would like to figure out is how to get this sequence/prop into my existing show that has 4 AC controllers with 3 singing faces.   The new prop I am referring to is a 200 pixel singing face driven by a Pixie 16. So I guess where I am stumped is how to add a Pixie 16 to my existing AC controller system.   I have the red adapter and I know it needs its own network.  This is my first time using pixels.  

We added the pixie16 To your Config.

Because the outline was more than

50pixels the only optioN foR you is to add it to The animation.

Its based on grid squares but the same holds true tO my other comment.

You can use any rgb face animation as long as it has as Many or less pixels per port as Required.

JR