Light-O-Rama Forums

Adding Networks

Kulpy

I have been only running one network for my show, Now my show is growing and I am adding pixels. Getting 1 line outside was not hard. I ran a line through my walls with a wall plate on the inside wall and outside soffit. Yes I can have 2 in that one box. But I do not know what to do with more lines. So my question would be when you guys are running more networks how do you get all the cables outside?

I have two the first is cat 5 from my show computer is in back bed room so i went up in the roof  ran it to the garage where I have 3 16 channels controlers the other cable is either net e 131 run that to the frount porch were i have two 16 channels alphia pix controlers

Edited by james morris

3 hours ago, Kulpy said:

I have been only running one network for my show, Now my show is growing and I am adding pixels. Getting 1 line outside was not hard. I ran a line through my walls with a wall plate on the inside wall and outside soffit. Yes I can have 2 in that one box. But I do not know what to do with more lines. So my question would be when you guys are running more networks how do you get all the cables outside?

Class 2 wiring (what CAT5 falls under) does not have derating. I also recommend using backless Low Voltage boxes  to avoid sharp bends (more important for Ethernet tan RS485), BUT you might want Ethernet in the future (can you say Pixie Link or E1.31 😛 )  Single gang plates can handle up to 6 Keystone jacks BUT WARNING Decora type 6 ports are VERY fussy on the jacks used (along side jacks on 4 or 6 type. The Decora type are needed IF you need weather proof covers. Consider 2 gang and 3 ports in each.)

💡 Keystone plates are a get place to move audio or Video connection points as well

My show computer is in my garage.  I put in conduit from there to the front yard, so I could run a dozen networks without too much trouble.

Like Jim I run 13 cables through my garage wall but I have 1 large hole.

This year I will either make the hole larger, add a 2nd hole or cut some of the ends off to pull cables in and out.

They ho through the wall and I have a junction box on the outside and run the cables down a small section of pvc from the box.

JR