Light-O-Rama Forums

Where is the link to the superstar tutorials? Can't seem to locate it.

GriswoldStyle

Maybe I am just rusty from being off here a few months. But I can not seem to locate anything but pdf's on lor's site regarding learning superstar. Didn't there used to be tutorial videos? Anyone know where I can find them or have a link to them? I am still on S4 but finally upgraded my superstar license and need to start with the basics. Never tried it before. So want to find a few good tutorials to get a crash coarse start. Any help would be appreciated.

Originally I used John Storms tutorials to learn SE. His were easy to follow but now I am venturing into superstar to program my pixel tree. So I need some easy to follow tutorials.

• 6 months later...
On 4/8/2021 at 4:16 PM, k6ccc said:

http://www1.lightorama.com/tutorials/

About a third of the way down the page,

On 4/8/2021 at 3:20 PM, PhilMassey said:

Try You Tube.

Guys,   I am about to try to dabble in Superstar.  Trying to see if I've got to upgrade my LOR more than Basic plus,  Spoke with James today, and he's super nice.
I'm about to get superstar which I want to use with his help to sequence where i have 8 RGB floods,   I have 2 singing faces,  and this year I'm adding 8 minitrees, and 2 leaping driveway arches.

If I understand him right, I just need the 8 ccr version of SS, as I'll work on one section and then copy that into the regular sequencer?

As for my LOR sequencer, I'm on Basic Plus Editing which I believe allowed me 4 controllers.   I have 4 controllers, so thats 3x 16 channel regular LED light strong controllers, and 1 8x RGB flood kit I got from LOR.

I'm trying to see what version of LOR I have to be on, in S4 to use superstar.   Can't find that clearly stated anywhere.  

Appreciate if you can add clarity here.  I know yall have been at this a while.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Rhizzlebop said:

I'm trying to see what version of LOR I have to be on, in S4 to use superstar.   Can't find that clearly stated anywhere.  

SuperStar is licensed separately from the main LOR software and does not relate (sort of) to the level of LOR software.  SuperStar licensing is based on how many channels it will sequence.  So for example, my 160 CCR license is 8,000 pixels or 24,000 channels.  Does not matter how those channels are arranged (pixels vs single color traditional strings etc), it is the total channel count that matters.

Since you are running S4, you can export from SuperStar into Sequence Editor as an .lms file.  With S5, you still can do that, but the "normal" way of using SuperStar in S5 is to use Motion Effects rows which requires a Pro level license.

I have 4 controllers, so thats 3x 16 channel regular LED light strong controllers, and 1 8x RGB flood kit I got from LOR.

Then in my opinion > you have no need for SuperStar and would be a complete waste...........

1 hour ago, Jimehc said:

Then in my opinion > you have no need for SuperStar and would be a complete waste...........

You have to be able to read between the lines.

My friend above is “dabbling in SS” getting help from James , a SS Auto face guru.

So if he wants to “dabble” that’s no more of a waste than your post. 

At least he’s trying.

JR

And again that is my opinion about using just those 4 controllers..... Appears to be waste of money.. If adding several other Pixel controllers - then > go for it...

so thanks for your usual dribble

Edited by Jimehc

On 10/24/2021 at 4:56 AM, Jimehc said:

And again that is my opinion about using just those 4 controllers..... Appears to be waste of money.. If adding several other Pixel controllers - then > go for it...

Here's a counter to that.  You absolutely CAN sequence a few AC controllers in SuperStar.  Yes, it is somewhat overkill.  However, for someone who is planning on adding pixels later, learning a lot of the SuperStar concepts with just a few AC controllers can make learning easier.  For example, what is the difference between Morphs, Scenes, Smooth Effects, and Image modes - and how do you use them (and yes, there is a use for image effects with AC controllers).  Getting to understand those is usually one of the big hang ups with learning SuperStar.

In full disclosure.  I have been using SuperStar since 2012 and do essentially ALL of my sequencing in SuperStar.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Absolutely, it is not "setup" for the LOR Sing Quartet

You truly have to get to know your way around better. A lot of us have been using SS for more than a few months, along with singing faces of all shapes, sizes and configurations.

JR

That's fine, it is only money and you can't take it with you... You can purchase a SS license or you can opt to use Motion Effects on those AC Props and those 8 RGB Floods...

Edited by Jimehc