Jump to content

Pixie16 in visualiser


Recommended Posts

Hi All.
I am totally new to pixels and have 3 x Pixie16 boards I would like to use this coming season
I am doing all my sequencing in SE.
I am using S4  V4.4.14  and Vi - V4.4.14  
I am trying to set up 15 x 100 string  mini (Tomato)tree props.  
Using DMX tree does not work - nothing illuminates in Visualiser at all  
I have tried doing strings RGB, but that only results in Dumb RGB  illumination of the prop. 
Am I doing something wrong? 
Should I be using something else ?
Thanks in advance for any replies. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Personally, I'd strongly recommend migrating to S5. If you want to program everything in the SE, it's going to be easier to do in S5.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

And this is the time of year to make that migration (not September).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

IF you do not wish to take my two friends above advice shoot me a PM and I will design what you need and teach you how.

Note it’s a pretty busy week for me and I have presentations to present this weekend but I am More than willing to help.

I can’t see it on my cell but you will need a pro license.

I do not a little confusion

15 strings of 100 RGB lights would not IMO be a mini tomato cage tree.

May be some terminology issues here. 
 

Also max number of RGB pixels for the Vis is 50.

JR

Edited by dibblejr
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dibblejr said:

15 strings of 100 RGB lights would not IMO be a mini tomato cage tree.

May be some terminology issues here. 
 

Also max number of RGB pixels for the Vis is 50.

JR

Thank you JR. 
I will investigate S5 - may be able to play with the demo version if it does not overwrite S4.
I will send PM when I have investigated S5 and if I don't want to go that way I'll PM you
Yes I have S4 4.14 Pro 
No its not one tree. Its 15 trees each with 1 string of 100 pixels  .  100 pixels chosen because that's the max for the Pixie16 string and  thought that would work out better for the tree
KL


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, KrissyLights said:

Thank you JR. 
I will investigate S5 - may be able to play with the demo version if it does not overwrite S4.
I will send PM when I have investigated S5 and if I don't want to go that way I'll PM you
Yes I have S4 4.14 Pro 
No its not one tree. Its 15 trees each with 1 string of 100 pixels  .  100 pixels chosen because that's the max for the Pixie16 string and  thought that would work out better for the tree
KL


 

Max for a pixie 16 is 170 nodes

However the max for the S4 Vis is 50 nodes.

You could also design it in the S4 animation and get all 100

But yes - S5 is leaps and bounds over S4 with the preview and other features

Best of luck

JR

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, KrissyLights said:

I will investigate S5 - may be able to play with the demo version if it does not overwrite S4.

You can only have one version of the LOR software on a computer at the same time.  It's not a big issues to go back and forth, however note that the S5 file format is different, so sequences that you have sequenced in S5 will be saved in a new file format that S4 can not read.  HOWEVER, the original S4 sequences are not modified, so if you go back to S4, your original S4 sequences are there just as they always have been.  You can of course have S4 on one computer and S5 on another.  I did that for about seven months when S5 first came out in beta in July of 2017.

There are several of us here that can help you through the transition - either S4 to S5 or back to S4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depending upon when you last upgraded to  S4 Pro, you might have to purchase a renewal to get S5. I think it's about 30 bucks. You can check your license status here. Hopefully you are good to go.

http://www1.lightorama.com/software-license-retrieval/

You would still be able to run S5 in demo mode until you did the renewal.

Edited by PhilMassey
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Max for a pixie 16 is 170 nodes

However the max for the S4 Vis is 50 nodes.

You could also design it in the S4 animation and get all 100

But yes - S5 is leaps and bounds over S4 with the preview and other features

Best of luck

JR

170 nodes for Pixie16?  That's interesting. When I set mine up in SE4  all I could chose was 50 or 100. 
Sounds like S5 is the way to go. 
Thank you again 
KL



 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, k6ccc said:

You can only have one version of the LOR software on a computer at the same time.  It's not a big issues to go back and forth, however note that the S5 file format is different, so sequences that you have sequenced in S5 will be saved in a new file format that S4 can not read.  HOWEVER, the original S4 sequences are not modified, so if you go back to S4, your original S4 sequences are there just as they always have been.  You can of course have S4 on one computer and S5 on another.  I did that for about seven months when S5 first came out in beta in July of 2017.

There are several of us here that can help you through the transition - either S4 to S5 or back to S4.

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I am having a blonde moment here. When you say I can have only one version of LOR software on the computer do you mean I can have both  S4 and S5 on the computer and can use only one or the other at any given time, or do you mean I have to make a choice and can only have only one of the versions on my computer.  I do have a laptop that I use for my show, so I can leave S4 on it and put s5 om my main computer to do the programming etc. 
I have had a quick look at S5 on a couple of you tube videos. Looks like a whole new learning curve. Exciting and a little daunting at the same time. 
No doubt I will need help. I am a slow learner, but once I've got it..... 
One thing I did learn from Facebook user groups, was to back up sequences. I have all my sequences on an external drive and have synced the folder to Google drive. So hopefully I will be ok in that department. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, KrissyLights said:

Thanks for the reply Jim.
I am having a blonde moment here. When you say I can have only one version of LOR software on the computer do you mean I can have both  S4 and S5 on the computer and can use only one or the other at any given time, or do you mean I have to make a choice and can only have only one of the versions on my computer.  I do have a laptop that I use for my show, so I can leave S4 on it and put s5 om my main computer to do the programming etc. 
I have had a quick look at S5 on a couple of you tube videos. Looks like a whole new learning curve. Exciting and a little daunting at the same time. 
No doubt I will need help. I am a slow learner, but once I've got it..... 
One thing I did learn from Facebook user groups, was to back up sequences. I have all my sequences on an external drive and have synced the folder to Google drive. So hopefully I will be ok in that department. 
 

No need to answer Jim
I found the answer on the LOR Site which tell me in no uncertain terms to uninstall S4 before installing S5 - cant get any clearer than that. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, KrissyLights said:

No need to answer Jim
I found the answer on the LOR Site which tell me in no uncertain terms to uninstall S4 before installing S5 - cant get any clearer than that. 

 

Actually I am going to answer a bit.  Upgrading from S4 to S5 usually goes fine without updating.  Note that this will leave ONLY S5 on the computer.  However removing S4 is recommended.  If you downgrade from S5 to S4, it sometimes will work without removing S5 first.  This will leave ONLY S4 on the computer.  Many times, you will need to remove S5 in order to reinstall S4.  During late 2017 (during the S5 beta period), I swapped several computers back and forth at least a half dozen times.  Normally I would upgrade from S4 to S5 without an uninstall unless it did not go well.  Downgrading from S5 to S4 seldom would work without the uninstall first.  So my download procedure became:  uninstall S5, run the registry wipe utility, delete the Program Files \ Light-O-Rama folder, then install S4.

Actually there is one way to have both S4 and S5 on the same computer (sort of).  If you run virtual machines, you could run S4 on one VM and S5 on another VM.  If you don't understand what a VM is, forget this paragraph.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, KrissyLights said:

Thanks everyone for your input. 
I have listened to your words of wisdom and will migrate to S5.
Nothing like jumping into the deep end. 
KL

S5 is really not as bad as it's being made out to be. I made the switch last year. START with getting your preview set up. Once you do that, everything else falls in to place. Once you get it set up and make all your channel/port assignments, making changes is really easy and more importantly, fast, since you only need to change the Preview once and the change gets automatically picked up by ALL of the sequences that you've assigned to that Preview.

Don't be afraid to ask for help! You will get great advice from the REAL experts here!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, KrissyLights said:

170 nodes for Pixie16?  That's interesting. When I set mine up in SE4  all I could chose was 50 or 100. 
Sounds like S5 is the way to go. 
Thank you again 
KL



 

I know I am late but in case anyone searches and see this, I have covered how to set up 170 nodes for a pixie16 in S4 many times.

I believe the latest version of S4 also allows it.

In older versions yoi simply have to set the pixie16 as a pixcon16 giving the device (pixcon16) the same starting unit ID that you set for the pixie.

All S4 cares about is the unit ID.

You will enjoy S5 though.

JR

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...