Light-O-Rama Forums

16x100 Square Pixel Strings in Bundle Question

machtoo

Can someone confirm the 16x100 strings in the pixel tree bundle  are 50 pixel strings with connectors?  Thanks

1 hour ago, machtoo said:

Can someone confirm the 16x100 strings in the pixel tree bundle  are 50 pixel strings with connectors?  Thanks

Which pixel tree bundle? Link

JR

40 minutes ago, machtoo said:

16x100 Square Pixie16 LOR

If it is this one they are 100 pixels per port. = 100 pixel strings

I asked for the link because they do not show a "pixel tree bundle". The only pixel tree kit I know of is the 16x25. Nut if the wording is similar to the below they are 100 nodes per string.

12V - 16x100 Square Pixel Package with Pixie16 Controller (lightorama.com)

Edited by dibblejr

I think the OP is asking if the 100 is two strings of 50.   Yes,   the lights come in 50s and you connect two to get 100.  

ConnectorInTheMiddle.jpg

Edited by ItsMeBobO

1 hour ago, ItsMeBobO said:

I think the OP is asking if the 100 is two strings of 50.   Yes,   the lights come in 50s and you connect two to get 100.  

ConnectorInTheMiddle.jpg

The last square nodes I got from LOR are 100’s. Not 2 strands of 50.

Cant read minds here OP!

JR

I would think these are the same nodes used in the LOR Singing Christmas Tress, theyt are 100 RGB nodes per strand and the 2 = 200 RGB Nodes.  As I didn't see but one connection between the 2 strands and the LOR Trees are 200 RGB Nodes per strand, not 50, otherwise there'd be 3 interconnecting connectors {total 6, 3 femal, 3 male} for the junction points and I'd think that'd be too much extra added wire between the strands for a 200 node item/

Maybe earlier versiomns may have been 50 nodes per strand?, I can't say, but I think the latest ones like these are all 100 nodes per strand from what I see and read on the LOR website about them.

Edited by Orville

43 minutes ago, hasslerk said:

Is there an advantage of square over bullet pixels?

Flat surface mounting vs Hole or so sort of anchored mounting

• Like 1

I will tell you after pushing thousands of pixel bullet nodes and thousands of square nodes, I will push the pixel nodes any day. The square ones actually hurt my fingers more than the round. 

As far as laying flatter possible but still wires will be in the way unless you flatten them all the way down manually.

JR

8 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I will tell you after pushing thousands of pixel bullet nodes and thousands of square nodes, I will push the pixel nodes any day. The square ones actually hurt my fingers more than the round. 

As far as laying flatter possible but still wires will be in the way unless you flatten them all the way down manually.

JR

That;s funny, I found the square ones easier to push in than the bullet nodes, when I had to reset some of the ones that got poked out of my singing trees by some joker that decided to randomly push out a few during my 2020 Christmas Display,   Just seemed to be easier to handle {too me anyuway} than the bullets.

And I do agree with Jim about Pixel Pliars, I just saw those the other day and I'm planning on buying at least 2 pairs of them.  I think that'll make it a lot easier to insert the bullets, not sure about the square nodes though, as the pliars look to be made for the bullet type from the way I see they appear to be curved to wrap around the bullet body.  I would think maybe a pair of adjustable standard pliars would work fine for inserting the square node type.

Sometimes we just have to buy something that works {if something is available}, other times we just have to use our ingenuity to figure out what might work for some of this stuff. LOL

The holes are too small in all the mountings.     When you force the bullet or square into the small hole it distorts the mounting.  I have drilled the holes slightly larger and then get a perfect fit.    Yes its a pain to drill 1600 holes.  But they fit much better     not as hard to insert and they dont fall out   IF you find just the right size.     

5001482291_41672498.jpg?size=pdhi

1 minute ago, ItsMeBobO said:

The holes are too small in all the mountings.     When you force the bullet or square into the small hole it distorts the mounting.  I have drilled the holes slightly larger and then get a perfect fit.    Yes its a pain to drill 1600 holes.  But they fit much better     not as hard to insert and they dont fall out   IF you find just the right size.     

5001482291_41672498.jpg?size=pdhi

I dislike step bits for this hobby. Anyone using them use a bright colored sharpie to mark the correct size. Remember one slip and that hole is worthless without silicone.

I purchased some dedicated bits to get the right size.

One of the keys i discovered while discussing nodes with the mfg that i tested some for. Node bases come in two common sizes 8mm and 12mm. Ensure to read the description of the pixels and the prop if you are purchasing.

JR

13 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

I dislike step bits for this hobby. Anyone using them use a bright colored sharpie to mark the correct size. Remember one slip and that hole is worthless without silicone.

One of the keys i discovered while discussing nodes with the mfg that i tested some for. Node bases come in two common sizes 8mm and 12mm. Ensure to read the description of the pixels and the prop if you are purchasing.

JR

Very easy to overcome.    I think the steppers are perfect for this because they are self centering in the hole with a long lead.   I used a grinding wheel on the bit to remove a step.  Now the largest step is the size I wanted.  I only had to grind down one step.  This allowed me to push the stepper all the way through without worry of ruining a hole.    I have used this stepper on 1600 pixel tree holes and 3200 sign holes.     All of them have the square pixels.   

Edited by ItsMeBobO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ItsMeBobO said:

Very easy to overcome.    I think the steppers are perfect for this because they are self centering in the hole with a long lead.   I used a grinding wheel on the bit to remove a stepp.  Now the laragest step is the size I wanted.  I only had to grind down one step.  This allowed me to push the stepper all the way through without worry of ruining a hole.    I have used this stepper on 1600 pixel tree holes and 3200 sign holes.     All of them have the square pixels.   

I use both of the below Forest bits for my custom of to add additional hole to props.

I didnt think about grinding down the upper unused steps of my step bits though. That would be a great option and solve the over size hole problem.

uxcell Brad Point Drill Bits for Wood 11mm x 68mm Right Turning Carbide for Woodworking Carpentry Drilling Tool - - Amazon.com

Freud PB-0025 7/16-Inch Precision Forester Bit - Forstner Bits - Amazon.com

1 hour ago, dibblejr said:

JR

I bought Metric Step bits and a Metric drill index (set) on Amazon a couple of years back for the price of ONE Greenlee at the big Home store,

The smallest Sep bit in the set tops at 12mm, the hole I need to snap bullets into. So I just run it off the end. I made my own mounting tape out of plastic plumbers tape. So far, about 1200 holes.

If you dont have a drill press: get a portable drill guide like the 'Portalign' (get 2 and use the second as a master index to maintain hole position alignment along tubing . Mine are the originals from the 80's)