Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixcon16 fuse question

SeeFromSpace

Greetings,

just designing a new Bethlehem RGB star prop. This is my first try at doing RGB. I have done LOR AC shows for the past couple of years. I have a pixcon16 controller which I have not used as yet. I want to use a number of hi count LED strip lights. I have been looking at ws2812B 5V strip lights with a count of 96 LED's per meter. The longest leg on my star would take 136 LED's. I calculated the wattage for 136 LED's at 40.8 watts or 8.16 amps. Of course the pixcon16 is fused at 4 amps per port. My question is - do I have to break the 136 LED's to  a couple of pixel ports or will power injection at one or two points along the strip  reduce the load on that pixcon16 4 amp fuse?

Any certain reason for using 5 volt over a 12 volt strip ??

5V x 4A = 20 watts <or> 12V x 4A = 48 watts

Edited by KYHI

I thought that the ws2812b strip was only available at 5v. I know that the ws2811 strips are available at 12 v but are often controlled in three LED groups. So would love to hear if the ws2812b strips are available in 12v

2 hours ago, SeeFromSpace said:

I thought that the ws2812b strip was only available at 5v. I know that the ws2811 strips are available at 12 v but are often controlled in three LED groups. So would love to hear if the ws2812b strips are available in 12v

ws2813b will be the 12v version. I have some 13's that are 12v however the same mfg i have has an upgrade its ws2811 15 (didnt look right when I put all of the 1's together)

Rechecked my numbers with a magnifier, mine are 15's as well. Not 13's. Was going to use them on some small versions of singing faces but i found 5mm nodes instead.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

And you say a ws2813 will operate on a pixcon 16? My understanding is that the ws2813 has two data lines that make it able to bypass a burnout pixel. If you can use a ws2813 on a pixcon16 how do you wire it. Thanks

https://www.seeedstudio.com/blog/2019/02/14/ws2812b-vs-ws2813-addressable-rgb-led-strips-how-are-they-different/

the WS2815 are the 12 volt version - has 2 data lines - 1 of them is a Backup

Would assume you would connect both Data inputs to the same controller terminal..

https://www.amazon.com/BTF-LIGHTING-Upgraded-Individually-Addressable-Waterproof/dp/B07LG54F4W?ref_=ast_sto_dp

150 LED Strip Wattage Test Results.jpg

Edited by KYHI

The WS2815 does have two data lines, but they are labeled data IN and data OUT. Not sure if that means they are somehow duplicate. Also there is a different refresh rate between the WS2812 and WS2813/WS2815. The true test is if someone out there is actually using WS2815 12v strips on a pixcon16. Or perhaps someone from the LOR company Genius Bar could chime in. 

But still interested in my original question. If I end up using 5v strip pixels does power injection have any effect on the 4 amp fuse on a pixcon16?

1 hour ago, SeeFromSpace said:

The WS2815 does have two data lines, but they are labeled data IN and data OUT. Not sure if that means they are somehow duplicate. Also there is a different refresh rate between the WS2812 and WS2813/WS2815. The true test is if someone out there is actually using WS2815 12v strips on a pixcon16. Or perhaps someone from the LOR company Genius Bar could chime in. 

But still interested in my original question. If I end up using 5v strip pixels does power injection have any effect on the 4 amp fuse on a pixcon16?

If you add an inline fuse from the PI psu you should be fine. The PI fuse will blow before a surge gets back to the controller fuse.

JR

Hey thanks for the info! Had no idea these virtual classes existed. Now I’ve  got to figure out how to use zoom!

• Like 1