Light-O-Rama Forums

Wireless G4 Director Link- How To?

MrMatt

My goal is to have a Wireless pixel controller network, LOR says that one way to to that is using 2-G4 directors, using the "Director Link" and 2 ELLs to link them together.

My questions are?

It says that Network 1 can only be used for linking the directors when in this mode, Does this mean a G4 director will power the ELL

-If not how do you power them for the wireless director link to work?

Has anyone that has done this and want to give me any tips?

Thanks!

I want to verify how it works before I spend the $$ for 2 G4s

Other option if you are using E1.31 is to use a WiFi link.  Then at the far end, use a WiFi device set up as a bridge and either connect to one or more E1.31 controllers or use the new PixieLink to convert to drive Pixie controllers.

If you go this route DO NOT USE your existing home WiFi - unless you want your show to crash when your kid surfs YouTube or someone does a large file transfer.  Set up a separate WiFi.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Other option if you are using E1.31 is to use a WiFi link.  Then at the far end, use a WiFi device set up as a bridge and either connect to one or more E1.31 controllers or use the new PixieLink to convert to drive Pixie controllers.

If you go this route DO NOT USE your existing home WiFi - unless you want your show to crash when your kid surfs YouTube or someone does a large file transfer.  Set up a separate WiFi.

I guess I need to learn how to setup a e1.31 device in LOR, this sounds like it will be cheaper, I am a bit concerned on range for the wifi though.  This is going across the street.

Edited by MrMatt

2 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

I guess I need to learn how to setup a e1.31 device in LOR, this sounds like it will be cheaper, I am a bit concerned on range for the wifi though.  This is going across the street.

Its easy and many of us can help you out when you get there.

Are you running AC or RGB. Since you are discussing ELL's I am thinking you are talking AC controllers.

JR

42 minutes ago, MrMatt said:

E1.31 pretty easy after you learn a few concepts  You do have up upgrade to at least an Advanced level LOR license to do E1.31.  However for pixels you pretty much need to go Pro anyway.

And if you do it right, it's not a problem to get miles on the right WiFi equipment (I have a 4.2 mile link from my house).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dibblejr said:

Its easy and many of us can help you out when you get there.

Are you running AC or RGB. Since you are discussing ELL's I am thinking you are talking AC controllers.

JR

I am running both, I am running AC on one side of the street, and adding Pixels on the other side of the street, thus the need for wireless.  Wireless just runs the AC.. In the future I want to run pixels on both sides and thus I am looking for options such as the Pixielink, or maybe just getting some E1.31 controllers to use with wifi.  Just need to take the time to learn this new level, I was happy with the simple AC controllers until now lol.

Just keep in mind that the ELL's cannot run high speed which the pixels will require so they won't work on a network with pixels on it. ELL's also will not work on a E1.31 network either.

• Like 1

Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

Edited by Vince4xmas
Sorry, posted in wrong thread.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2021 at 4:12 PM, Orville said:

#1. The N4-G4 to N4-G4 Director Link is only on Network 1 to Network 1 of the 2nd Director.  And if using ELL's this is ONLY for 56K speeds, maybe 115K at most, so if you need Enhanced or higher speeds, like for RGB Controllers that may require both 500K and Enhanced, using ELL's WILL NOT WORK, the ELL's are mainly for older AC Controllers {Pre-Gen 3} or G3 AC Controllers used at LOWER speeds {56K) and NON Enhanced Networks.

I haven't used the Director to DIrector link yet, so I don't have any real world experience with it yet, but when I finally migrate to S5 and purcahse a 2nd N4-G4Director, then I'm going to start experimenting around with this "linking" ability to understand it better.

@Orville, my understanding is that while the N4-G4 uses Network 1 to sync them, you still have three remaining networks that could be run at 1000k speed.  Thus, it might make sense to use Network 1 as your traditional LOR network, while the remainder could be for RGB network(s).

I'm also really interested in real-world testing of this.  Keep us posted on what you experience.

• 4 weeks later...

As I am debating buying these at the spring sale,

I decided to submit a ticket and thought I would post the response, 

You would need to power the directors using a power supply ( small one that normally plugs into the wall )... Then the ELLs would be powered via the RJ45(Cat5) port of the directors. When linking multiple directors the primary network (network 1) is used exclusively to keep the directors in sync and is not available for "regular" data.

Oh, now this is interesting.  So for clarification, if I read all this correct, I could have two G4 directors connected via ELLs (for director synchronization only), with each director then driving each of their other 3 ports as enhanced high speed.  I assume each director would need identical copies of SD cards inserted in each for this to work (which is simple).  So has anyone tried this?

9 hours ago, hasslerk said:

Oh, now this is interesting.  So for clarification, if I read all this correct, I could have two G4 directors connected via ELLs (for director synchronization only), with each director then driving each of their other 3 ports as enhanced high speed.  I assume each director would need identical copies of SD cards inserted in each for this to work (which is simple).  So has anyone tried this?

I’m not sure you need 2 SD cards since “network 1 is to keep the directors in sync”

IMO

JR

12 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I’m not sure you need 2 SD cards since “network 1 is to keep the directors in sync”

As I understand it (no guarantee here), that would be incorrect.  A I understand it, only data sync packets are sent over network 1.  That's why it can work over a low speed network.  I don't know if the SD card in each director needs to store the entire show or only the portion that is controlled by that director. 

This is similar to the same way that Falcon Player does this.

3 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

As I understand it (no guarantee here), that would be incorrect.  A I understand it, only data sync packets are sent over network 1.  That's why it can work over a low speed network.  I don't know if the SD card in each director needs to store the entire show or only the portion that is controlled by that director. 

This is similar to the same way that Falcon Player does this.

Jim, that is my interpretation also (sync packets).  The interesting wrinkle you raise is having only the portion of the show executed by each director on their corresponding SD cards...not even sure how I would write the SD cards given that all props/networks are contained in any given sequence, which is why I think each SD card is an exact copy (and I think I recall seeing that comment somewhere else in another thread).  But I have zero experience with this setup (at the moment, but interested in the possibilities) and am soaking in everyone's responses.  Thanks @MrMatt for starting this topic and all the responses; it has given me some ideas.

Then tell me Orv, how are you supposed to get three 1000K circuits worth of data over a single slow speed network?  Can't possibly do that.  And that's assuming only two directors.  Maybe six 1000K circuits, or nine 1000K circuits worth of data.  No way!

The Directors MUST know that they are operating in a master / slave configuration, and understand that the data over network 1 is just sync data.  Then use that sync data to keep both controllers in sync.

I agree with Jim. SYNC just means what it was named. Make the pair run together over a (slow) Network.

I see 2 ways to prepare for that. 1) A mirror SD card 2) (If there is gobs of RAM) Preload the slave PRIOR to use. That requires the directors STAY powered and it could take hours at 56K to initialize the show