Light-O-Rama Forums

Creating Custom Prop - not running in preview

Dennis Warren

Morning Everyone,

I'm creating prop to migrate from S4 to S5. I have several props working if I use supplied selections. My challenge is when I create a prop in a specific way it will not run in the Preview.  See pic.     What I have found is that if I do NOT put a 1 in A1 the prop will not work. If I add the 1 in A1 all is good. Any ideas or a bug?656444877_PropIssueA1startingpoint.thumb.jpg.9ff8c83bc813b128e25999256a6d603d.jpg

It should work wherever you put the 1.

Could be a bug or what some of us have had in the past were some ghost nodes. That’s how Matt described them to me. 

Another note, if yiu know how to use the S4 vis and have a Lee file you can import that in.

I have built a lot of my props in S4 and imported but I am very savvy with S4 vis

JR

Found a quark...  Happens on only on the copied Props...  I create 4 props (4 chn) each by scratch, group them and make sure connection data is good. This one worked. Then copy the group, make the needed connection changes and oops on playback. Hmm  coping data in any db can create ghosts...  🙃

My S4 Vis is a flat top down look and I wanted make the now as I migrate S5.  ;)  Use the simple AC channels to learn the props before jumping into RGB hopefully soon. ☺️

14 minutes ago, Dennis Warren said:

Found a quark...  Happens on only on the copied Props...  I create 4 props (4 chn) each by scratch, group them and make sure connection data is good. This one worked. Then copy the group, make the needed connection changes and oops on playback. Hmm  coping data in any db can create ghosts...  🙃

My S4 Vis is a flat top down look and I wanted make the now as I migrate S5.  ;)  Use the simple AC channels to learn the props before jumping into RGB hopefully soon. ☺️

Try exporting the working one to the Import/ Export folder and then importing it in to your preview and see if that works.

To export in the preview right click on the working group and export reverse for import

JR

The Preview is still young...  I deleted the props and rebuilt each from scratch and worked as expected. I'll try a copy again and see what happens since that seems to be the common itch between the several groups I created.  I will also try the export if it happens again if I can repeat the same quirk. If so, I'll post if the export works.  👍

Thx again

Export / Import did not fix the issue. I had to delete the props and rebuild. I found that updating a prop many times over and over will confuse or create ghost input basically corrupting the prop and keep it from performing as expected. I posted in my other post that I started to use MS Excel spreadsheets to limit the change in the prop itself. So each time I modified the prop I would copy the contents from the prop to Excel, make the changes then clear the prop, copy/paste back the from Excel to prop. This seem to eliminate the ghosting. I also now have a library of my props in an excel file for future reference or change. 😁

• 2 weeks later...

Follow-up..  I've been able to reproduce the issue.  Select a Prop from the Archived Props and add to the Preview. Open preview and edit prop. You have a choice to select a predefined prop to replace Bulb or Select custom. If you were to select a predefined prop the channel selection stays as defined and no issue the preview will play the prop. But if you were to select "Custom" the channel is removed (hmm) and you will need to add the channel back in in to the prop definition once you have defined the "Customize Light Placement". This is where the prop stops playing in preview. So by selecting "Custom" you loose the link or information connecting the prop to the sequence. Though the sequence is defined and all looks ok.  

1 hour ago, Dennis Warren said:

Follow-up..  I've been able to reproduce the issue.  Select a Prop from the Archived Props and add to the Preview. Open preview and edit prop. You have a choice to select a predefined prop to replace Bulb or Select custom. If you were to select a predefined prop the channel selection stays as defined and no issue the preview will play the prop. But if you were to select "Custom" the channel is removed (hmm) and you will need to add the channel back in in to the prop definition once you have defined the "Customize Light Placement". This is where the prop stops playing in preview. So by selecting "Custom" you loose the link or information connecting the prop to the sequence. Though the sequence is defined and all looks ok.  

That is correct. Once yoi select custom the preview design is awaiting the placement of the nodes in the custom grid layout.

JR