Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't get PixieLink to send test pattern to Pixie 8D

DarthVodka

Having trouble just getting the built in test pattern sent from PixieLink to Pixie 8D.

For testing purposes I have not changed the default PixieLink PDort setups. So,  Port 4, ids 49-64 set to PixieLink should cover the connection to my Pixie 8D with ID 57.
The Pixie 8D's firmware has been updated to 1.06. On the Pixie 8D I have a blinking LED showing it is on and waiting for input. Once I hit the test button on the PixieLink the 8D's status light goes solid showing it is getting something from the Link but no test pattern displayed on the pixel string. I tried all ports on the Link and I tried connecting the pixels to each of the 8D's out puts. I have tried multiple network cables incase one of those is bad.

I can confirm the pixel string and the 8D are working because the 8D's test button does start a test pattern. 

I am probably over thinking this and it is something simple. Any help would be much appreciated.

the PixieLink Port needs to be configured to talk on the same Network (Type) as the Pixie8 Controller (ie 1000K Enhanced) is set to receive

I read your statement as your sending Unit ID's down that PixieLink Port - but what type of network..

Each PixieLink Port can be configured to use a different Network Protocol

Edited by KYHI
  • Like 1

It set to the PixieLink protocol.

Per the documentation: PixieLink protocol is only for Pixie controllers. Pixie firmware version 1.06 or higher is required. All Pixies will support the 4.25M speed because all Pixies were shipped with 5Mbps RS485 drivers.

The Pixie 8D has been upgraded to firmware 1.06.

Port.JPG

I guess I should say I have since tried all available protocols. None activate the pixel strands. The Pixie 8D's status light goes from blinking to solid when the test button is pressed on all protocols. Except DMX which is to be expected since the 8D does not recognize DMX.

Edited by DarthVodka

34 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

I guess I should say I have since tried all available protocols. None activate the pixel strands. The Pixie 8D's status light goes from blinking to solid when the test button is pressed on all protocols. Except DMX which is to be expected since the 8D does not recognize DMX.

Are you sure your pixie8 is the correct unit ID?

Ensure all dip switches are off.

Set the unit ID in HU

Verify that the unit ID is correct by shutting down the HU and restart HU and search for that pixie.

JR

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dibblejr said:

Are you sure your pixie8 is the correct unit ID?

Ensure all dip switches are off.

Set the unit ID in HU

Verify that the unit ID is correct by shutting down the HU and restart HU and search for that pixie.

JR

HU saw it as 57 via dip switches. Set them all to off/0, HU then saw unit as 40. Changed to 57 via HU. Exited and reopened HU for good measure still sees Pixie 8D as 57 with dips off.  Power cycled Pixie 8D still seen as 57. Connected to PixieLink. No change/no test pattern.

But, and just asking - don't you also have to set the Network Protocol using the HU for the Pixie8 to use PixieLink Protocol

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KYHI said:

But, and just asking - don't you also have to set the Network Protocol using the HU for the Pixie8 to use PixieLink Protocol

Re-read both set of instructions PixieLink and 8D neither say anything about setting the 8Ds protocol to PixieLink. Just set on the ports of the PixieLink. Looked thru all settings available on the HU and see nothing for setting the 8D to PixieLink protocol.

1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

Re-read both set of instructions PixieLink and 8D neither say anything about setting the 8Ds protocol to PixieLink. Just set on the ports of the PixieLink. Looked thru all settings available on the HU and see nothing for setting the 8D to PixieLink protocol.

A few questions.

1- What version of pixie8 do you have?

2- What fw version is on it?

3- Have you tried just keeping it at unit ID #1 ? Just for simple testing

4- How do you have it all connected together?

Ensure the 2 dip switches on the pixielink are off (reset switches)

** there is nothing in the pixie series to set protocol within them.

I know you feel you have answered the fw version a couple times above but - use the HU and verify it shows pixie8..  fw

JR

Edited by dibblejr
  • Like 1

1- What version of pixie8 do you have? Pixie 8D V4

2- What fw version is on it? 1.06

3- Have you tried just keeping it at unit ID #1 ? Just for simple testing when it was unit 40 (what it was assigned from factory) same out comes

4- How do you have it all connected together? for now. Home router plugged into ethernet on back of PixieLink (so I can see status page/settings), Pixel link port 4 to Pixie 8D (have tried all ports on PixieLink and both ports on Pixie 8D)

Ensure the 2 dip switches on the pixielink are off (reset switches) - Just opened sealed case of PixieLink. Dips were in on position (from factory). Set them to off, tested, no change. Per documentation I suspect dips are set to off to protect against long hold of test button to reset device and do not impact operation. Again no change when dips set to off.

Just in case the S5 version makes a difference. Your profile shows 5.5.4. I would bet the latest version has some added support for the PL.

29 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

Just in case the S5 version makes a difference. Your profile shows 5.5.4. I would bet the latest version has some added support for the PL.

Much appreciated (v5.5.6). Have not even gotten that far yet. Just trying to get the thing to send its built in test sequence to the Pixie 8.

1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

Much appreciated (v5.5.6). Have not even gotten that far yet. Just trying to get the thing to send its built in test sequence to the Pixie 8.

I have never seen any LOR factory made/ sent pixie 4/8/16 controller come from the factory with any other unit ID than 1.

You indicate above it came with unit ID 40.

They all ship as unit ID 1 except for some pixie 2’s that are the LOR Singing Quartet.

Also Phil is correct. You version which I can’t see in my phone is Pre-Pixielink in all cases HU and the Sequencer.

Just as in S when a device comes out after a version update than the software version needs to be updated before it can be supported by the software.

JR

Edited by dibblejr

4 hours ago, dibblejr said:

I have never seen any LOR factory made/ sent pixie 4/8/16 controller come from the factory with any other unit ID than 1.

You indicate above it came with unit ID 40.

They all ship as unit ID 1 except for some pixie 2’s that are the LOR Singing Quartet.

Also Phil is correct. You version which I can’t see in my phone is Pre-Pixielink in all cases HU and the Sequencer.

Just as in S when a device comes out after a version update than the software version needs to be updated before it can be supported by the software.

JR

Unit ID was assigned from the factory because it was part of the TSO starter package. 16x25 pixel tree in the sequence is set to Channel IDs 40-47.

I am able to get data to the Pixie 8D via PixieLink  test pattern and LOR Software now. I am kind of confused by the way the PixieLink work because it seems the numbers under Pixels (highlighted in yellow) are the unit IDs and each port repeats the same IDS. I thought each controller needed a unique ID but with the PixieLink it seems like you can have two controllers set to ID 1 doing different things because they are on a different port.

Also, IDs on the port max out at 32 via Hex so Iowered the Pixie 8D's ID to fit in that range ie. 10.

Either way confusion aside the PixieLink and the Pixie 8D seem to be functioning as I need.

Thanks for all of your help!

Port.JPG

What you have in yellow is the port of the Pixie.    The Pixie8D  will only have the top 8 filled in with a universe.

It doesn't matter what Unit id the Pixie is set to.    The critical path is ..  SE DMX universe  ->  NP Universe directed to PixieLink IP   -> PixieLink config directs univ to output port.  ->  Pixie

Edited by ItsMeBobO

17 hours ago, ItsMeBobO said:

What you have in yellow is the port of the Pixie.    The Pixie8D  will only have the top 8 filled in with a universe.

It doesn't matter what Unit id the Pixie is set to.    The critical path is ..  SE DMX universe  ->  NP Universe directed to PixieLink IP   -> PixieLink config directs univ to output port.  ->  Pixie

I am building a pixie8 for another member here very soon and will be making a video with the complete build along with adding the configuration of the pixielink to the video.

This should help solve a lot of questions in the post. May be to late for the OP but will be good for the future.

JR

• Like 1